NCAA Basketball Thread: '21-22

NYRaider

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Is there gonna be a non-conference schedule?

I think football did all in conference gms. Tho not sure what the scheduling is like for bball.

I believe there will be non-conference games still. I know Duke was trying to do a bubble tournament on their campus and I think they're still planning to have the Maui Invitational this year. 

Interested to see how Duke looks this year as we have a pretty solid blend of upperclassmen talent with guys like Jordan Goldwire, Joey Baker, Wendell Moore, and Matthew Hurt returning plus Patrick Tate transferring in. And a solid freshman class with guys like Jalen Johnson, Jeremy Roach, DJ Steward, and Mark Williams. This will be one of the biggest and most athletic teams that we've had in a while but I think our success will depend on how good Johnson is and how well we shoot the ball from 3. 

Assuming the rotation will be: 

Starters

G - Jeremy Roach 6'1" 175 | Fr. 

G - Jordan Goldwire 6'2" 185 | Sr.

F - Jalen Johnson 6'9" 220 | Fr. 

F - Matthew Hurt 6'9" 230 | So. 

F - Patrick Tape 6'10" 235 | Sr. 

Bench

G  - Wendell Moore 6'5" 220 | So. 

F - Joey Baker 6'7" 205 | Jr. 

G - DJ Steward 6'2" 170 | Fr. 

F - Mark Williams 7'0" 245 | Fr. 

Edited by NYRaider

Our guard rotation is still unproven* at UNC but our big man depth is 2nd to none. Anthony Harris is still recovering from his ACL tear so we're pretty thin with any true talent at guard. If the freshmen suck, we're going to struggle again. *had written crap but that was a bit harsh lmao

Starters
G - 
Caleb Love 6'4" 195 | Fr.
G - RJ Davis 6'0" 160 | Fr.
G/F - Leaky Black 6'8" 195 | Jr.
F - Garrison Brooks 6'10" 240 | Sr.
F/C - Armando Bacot 6'10" 240 | So.

Bench
G - Kerwin Walton 6'5" 205 | Fr.
G/F - Puff Johnson 6'8" 190 | Fr.
F - Day'Ron Sharpe 6'11" 265 | Fr.
F/C - Walker Kessler 7'1" 245 | Fr.

Foul Trouble Depth
G - Andrew Platek 6'4" 205 | Sr.
F - Sterling Manley 6'11" 250 | rJr.

Injured
G - 
Anthony Harris 6'4" 196 | rFr.

Edited by beekay414

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Our guard rotation is still crap at UNC but our big man depth is 2nd to none. Anthony Harris is still recovering from his ACL tear so we're pretty thin with any true talent at guard. If the freshmen suck, we're going to struggle again.

I think you guys will be good this year. Caleb Love is legit and will be one of the best guards in the country. And I also really like RJ Davis he's probably the quickest guard to go to UNC since Ty Lawson and I expect that he'll eventually be starting next to Love at some point this year. 

Still can't believe you guys stole Walker Kessler (aka the Marshall Plumlee/Grayson Allen hybrid) from us. 

FgxRu6W7dui3fvDwgqzFbJOGVPbO4_nEuQO6Onpi

Just now, NYRaider said:

I think you guys will be good this year. Caleb Love is legit and will be one of the best guards in the country. And I also really like RJ Davis he's probably the quickest guard to go to UNC since Ty Lawson and I expect that he'll eventually be starting next to Love at some point this year. 

Still can't believe you guys stole Walker Kessler (aka the Marshall Plumlee/Grayson Allen hybrid) from us. 

Yeah, I actually amended my DC to start Davis instead of Puff. Think that combination makes more sense than having two questionable shooters start. Would rather have Puff be Black's direct replacement. 

I was pretty shocked we got Kessler as well. Our big man depth is legit af so foul trouble shouldn't kill us like it did last year.

Also @NYRaider, looks like y'all gonna have another super class in 2021 while UNC is going the slow build route again. We're only losing two scholarships (Brooks and Platek) so we have 1 spot left (Jeremiah Francis transferred) to take someone next year. We've got two 4* commits (NC PF Dontrez Styles and NC SG D'Marco Dunn). Hoping we can get Hunter Sallis to fill that spot but I think he goes to UK. Just gotta hope Caleb Love doesn't one-and-done it otherwise we're really going to be screwed in the backcourt in 2021-22.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I actually amended my DC to start Davis instead of Puff. Think that combination makes more sense than having two questionable shooters start. Would rather have Puff be Black's direct replacement. 

I was pretty shocked we got Kessler as well. Our big man depth is legit af so foul trouble shouldn't kill us like it did last year.

I think a Davis/Love backcourt is your best bet because they're both legit playmakers. And are you referring to Puff Johnson as a questionable shooter? I read that he shot 46% from 3 as a Jr and 44% from 3 as a Sr? I thought shooting was his strong suit. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I think a Davis/Love backcourt is your best bet because they're both legit playmakers. And are you referring to Puff Johnson as a questionable shooter? I read that he shot 46% from 3 as a Jr and 44% from 3 as a Sr? I thought shooting was his strong suit. 

Eh, unproven, not questionable. My bad, I'm a little gun shy when it comes to relying on freshman as shooters. Ideally, he plays well enough to bench Leaky straight up but it'd be nice to have a shooter off the bench. I have no idea what to expect from these kids this year. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Also @NYRaider, looks like y'all gonna have another super class in 2021 while UNC is going the slow build route again. We're only losing two scholarships (Brooks and Platek) so we have 1 spot left (Jeremiah Francis transferred) to take someone next year. We've got two 4* commits (NC PF Dontrez Styles and NC SG D'Marco Dunn). Hoping we can get Hunter Sallis to fill that spot but I think he goes to UK. Just gotta hope Caleb Love doesn't one-and-done it otherwise we're really going to be screwed in the backcourt in 2021-22.

Yeah our 2021 class is shaping up to be one of our best classes ever assuming that we land Patrick Baldwin Jr. and Trevor Keels. Baldwin is a Jayson Tatum clone and AJ Griffin Jr looks like he's going to be special. I could see those two being the top two picks in the 2022 draft. 

More I think about it, we might have a really damn good balance on this team. Platek and Manley should never play consistent minutes. Straight foul trouble bailouts. Platek especially when Harris is healthy.

Love and Davis can create their own offense and both have exceptional off the dribble ISO pullup games. Walton and Johnson can shoot despite being more below the rim types (they can both dunk but they aren't super good athletes - Walton is built like a linebacker and should be a great rebounding guard). Then you've got 40 minutes of a damn good big man rotation between Brooks, Bacot, Kessler and Sharpe. Leaky Black should never friggin' shoot. Straight up slasher and defender. 

16 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Eh, unproven, not questionable. My bad, I'm a little gun shy when it comes to relying on freshman as shooters. Ideally, he plays well enough to bench Leaky straight up but it'd be nice to have a shooter off the bench. I have no idea what to expect from these kids this year. 

I think Love's production will be similar to what Coby White put up his freshman season. I honestly think that RJ Davis is going to be your best freshman this year though. He was under ranked by all of the major recruiting outlets because he fly under the radar until late in his HS career and is small. But he's so quick and crafty that he'll be able to get to his spots at will and is a legit scorer at all 3 levels. 

Edited by NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I think Love's production will be similar to what Coby White put up his freshman season. I honestly think that RJ Davis is going to be your best freshman this year though. He was under ranked by all of the major recruiting outlets because he fly under the radar until late in his HS career and is small. But he's so quick and crafty that he'll be able to get to his spots at will and is a legit scorer at all 3 levels. 

Yeah, I've been a bit harsh on these kids. They are unproven at the college level but they all have something to offer to this team. I do question RJ's perimeter offense as he seems more like volume guy there. Think he shot below 35% from 3 as a senior mainly due to falling in love with his off the dribble game. If he can just create, I'll be happy. We have a good balance of talent if it all clicks as I alluded to in my post above.

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I've been a bit harsh on these kids. They are unproven at the college level but they all have something to offer to this team. I do question RJ's perimeter offense as he seems more like volume guy there. Think he shot below 35% from 3 as a senior mainly due to falling in love with his off the dribble game. If he can just create, I'll be happy. We have a good balance of talent if it all clicks as I alluded to in my post above.

You guys are young but talented. College basketball is a guards game though and I think you guys go as far as Love/Davis take you.