Sign in to follow this  
Turnobili

Hot Take: Eliminate the Neutral Zone Infraction Rule

26 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

Raider fan

"Neutral Zone Infraction: Tommy Kelly, Gerard Warren,  Richard Seymour, Desmond Bryant, Pat Sims, Shelby Harris, Stacy McGee...."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, waterfish_21 said:

I still don't get why you would jump?  Tell me one reason in the world why you would ever jump.

Football is a game of seconds. A half second can make the difference between making a play and not making it. It's a game based on natural reactions learned in practice. 

1 minute ago, waterfish_21 said:

There is almost 0% risk.  The only risk is if the refs see it.  If the QB isn't ready, in shotgun looking around, if it is a timing play ( end around with a WR), it doesn't matter at all!  If you snap the ball while the Defense is in the neutral zone, you lose 0% of the time because it is a free play.  I still don't understand how Aaron Rodgers is the only person in the NFL that understands this.  Some teams might not want to lose an opportunity for a big play, but a free play is a free play.

How is it zero risk??

If the QB isn’t paying attention and the offensive line is expecting the ball much later than the center snaps it, that’s a lose ball on the ground. Asking the center, whose peripheral vision is already obstructed by a helmet, to see what goes on ~7 yards in both directions (like, inch-specific) and never get it wrong is crazy talk. 

Rodgers doesn’t snap the ball when no one’s ready. He has a hard count.

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

Football is a game of seconds. A half second can make the difference between making a play and not making it. It's a game based on natural reactions learned in practice. 

It is also a game bound by rules, you are supposed to lose bad natural reactions through coaching.  What does everyone say about the Patriots, aside from cheating etc, they are discipline.  They don't do stupid things.  They do their jobs.  

I hate to put more judgment calls then necessary on the refs, but I sooorta agree with this: I think the ref needs to make the decision of whether the lineman was naturally reacting to sudden movement towards them, or if they are purposely doing that just to goad the call. Kinda like flopping basically. If they are legit just reacting instinctually, then it's NZI. But if the ref judges it to be an attempt to provoke the call, it's a false start.

• Like 1

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

How is it zero risk??

If the QB isn’t paying attention and the offensive line is expecting the ball much later than the center snaps it, that’s a lose ball on the ground. Asking the center, whose peripheral vision is already obstructed by a helmet, to see what goes on ~7 yards in both directions (like, inch-specific) and never get it wrong is crazy talk. 

Rodgers doesn’t snap the ball when no one’s ready. He has a hard count.

If the center snaps the ball and there is nobody in the neutral zone that is on the center.  But a lot of times they can see it.  As for Rodgers has a hard count, yes but they still snap the ball when someone enters the neutral zone quite often even when it isn't a hard count.  Those free plays are not 100% hard counts.  i've seen other centers do it too where the QB is looking around the defense and they snap to get a free play(not a hard count).  I've also seen it happened where Matt Ryan gets a free play (unscheduled like this) and he spikes the ball.  Never understood why he does that.

5 minutes ago, waterfish_21 said:

It is also a game bound by rules, you are supposed to lose bad natural reactions through coaching.  What does everyone say about the Patriots, aside from cheating etc, they are discipline.  They don't do stupid things.  They do their jobs.  

That's not a bad reaction. That's why it's a called a natural reaction. And don't compare the league to Patriots either.....that's irrelevant for many reasons. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I hate to put more judgment calls then necessary on the refs, but I sooorta agree with this: I think the ref needs to make the decision of whether the lineman was naturally reacting to sudden movement towards them, or if they are purposely doing that just to goad the call. Kinda like flopping basically. If they are legit just reacting instinctually, then it's NZI. But if the ref judges it to be an attempt to provoke the call, it's a false start.

I think the rule is supposed to rule out judgments like this.  Offsides is not a judgment call, its black and white.  

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

That's not a bad reaction. That's why it's a called a natural reaction. And don't compare the league to Patriots either.....that's irrelevant for many reasons. 

Yes that is a bad reaction.  You act on someone else's movement before the play starts.  If the other player moves first into the neutral zone, you already won as long as you don't move yourself.  Lose bad habits.

4 minutes ago, DannyB said:

this.

even if the OL "acts" like hes trying to block/react, im fine with calling the penalty on the defense. give them the benefit of the doubt.

but when an OL just jumps and starts pointing right away, thats super lame

5 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Then how do you stop an OL from doing the same without penalizing him? 

Just now, waterfish_21 said:

Yes that is a bad reaction.  You act on someone else's movement before the play starts.  If the other player moves first into the neutral zone, you already won as long as you don't move yourself.  Lose bad habits.

And again, you are opening up a whole new can of worms. 

2 minutes ago, waterfish_21 said:

I think the rule is supposed to rule out judgments like this.  Offsides is not a judgment call, its black and white.  

Yeah I know, there was a move like a decade or so ago to remove as many judgment calls as possible. I'm just saying, I think it certain circumstances I think it's okay. And yes I know offsides is more of a black and white call, thanks.

16 minutes ago, Dodo said:

"Neutral Zone Infraction: Tommy Kelly, Gerard Warren,  Richard Seymour, Desmond Bryant, Pat Sims, Shelby Harris, Stacy McGee...."

but mostly Tommy Kelly, with a side of Seymour