Hot Take: Eliminate the Neutral Zone Infraction Rule

Turnobili

20 hours ago, Turnobili said:

But if the defensive player enters the neutral zone and retreats before the snap, and then 1.5 seconds later an offensive lineman starts jumping and pointing, it's the defense that gets penalized.

This is not true. Refs have (and will) flag offensive lineman for "late" reactions to NZI's. They can (and do) exercise discretion when determining if the defensive player jumping in the NZ actually caused the offensive player to react or not.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 8:24 PM, Turnobili said:

This has been a peeve of mine for a while now, wanted to see if I'm completely insane and missing something obvious, but I think this is a bad rule that can be removed without harming the game at all. To be clear, I have zero issue with the false start, offsides, and encroachment penalties... it is just the neutral zone infraction (NZI).

My problem with the NZI rule is that it incentivizes offensive linemen to jump up and point. If the defensive player enters the neutral zone and retreats before the snap, there's no harm no foul. But if the defensive player enters the neutral zone and retreats before the snap, and then 1.5 seconds later an offensive lineman starts jumping and pointing, it's the defense that gets penalized. It's completely absurd. The defensive player should not be penalized based solely on the reaction of the offensive player.

I somewhat understand the rationale behind the rule, because otherwise the defensive players can try jumping offsides to bait offensive linemen into twitching for a false start call. To this I say tough luck. The offensive players have the decided advantage of knowing the snap count. If I know that we are snapping on 2, and I for whatever reason flinch because a defensive player jumped on 1, then that's just on me. 

If the offensive line still wants to have the ability to "react" to create a penalty, then that burden should just be limited to the center deciding to prematurely snap the ball to "catch" somebody who jumped offisdes, rather than allowing any linemen to delay for a second or two to think about it, and then start doing jumping jacks and pointing to draw a flag.

tl;dr: offensive linemen know the snap count. if you flinch as a result of a defender's antics, that's on you (espeically when defensive players emulating QB calls is already unsportsmanlike conduct). if you're a defensive player who jumps offsides, you risk getting "caught" if they snap the ball, either because the QB is alert like rodgers, or maybe if the center has the wherewithall to snap it anyway just to catch you. but if you retreat before the snap, no harm no foul.

What am I missing? I just hate the OL antics and feel it's cheap.

I don’t agree. If this is to be done than just make it so a defender jumping into the Neutral Zone is offsides all together.

Boom now it’s completely black and white. Both offense and defense should be moving with the ball.

The offense has snap counts and the defense has last minute shifts that can be used strategically to force a player to jump on the opposing side.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 10:11 PM, Turnobili said:

They have exclusive knowledge of the snap count. They don't need to react to physical queues to know when to start moving.

Did you forget that teams play road games? That they very frequently are asked to play with silent counts in order to deal with crowd noise?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, incognito_man said:

This is not true. Refs have (and will) flag offensive lineman for "late" reactions to NZI's. They can (and do) exercise discretion when determining if the defensive player jumping in the NZ actually caused the offensive player to react or not.

ive literally never seen this

Edited by Turnobili