Can Dalton be the next “Tannehill”?

RUGmen

Much different situations because Tannehill stepped into a talented offense that was being held back by Mariota while Dalton is stepping in for Dak who has been the key cog in the Cowboys offense thriving. I think their offense will still play well though and he looked good outside of that fumble particularly on that final drive with those two big throws he made to Gallup that put them in a position to win the game. 

The Dalton praise is classic stuff.

• AJ Green
  • Marvin Jones
  • Tyler Eifert (rookie)
  • Jermaine Gresham
  • Even a young Sanu as a depth WR
  • Solid O-line
  • Top 5 D

• Similar talent on offense (Gresham left, Eifert had 13 TDs)
  • Another top 5 D
  • AJ McCarron started 3 games and did not really miss a beat (2-1)
    • The one loss was in OT at the SB Champs in Denver.

This current Dallas offense (without Dak) is not as good as those 2013 or 2015 Bengals offenses (when you include the O-lines)

Dalton is not some sad sack who never had good players who now finally has some WRs.

He was the one holding back that team. (or 50/50 with Marvin Lewis)

He's a decent NFL QB who will have his moments in Dallas. He's not going to be The Guy in this moment.

Edited by SkippyX

48 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Much different situations because Tannehill stepped into a talented offense that was being held back by Mariota while Dalton is stepping in for Dak who has been the key cog in the Cowboys offense thriving. I think their offense will still play well though and he looked good outside of that fumble particularly on that final drive with those two big throws he made to Gallup that put them in a position to win the game. 

Tennessee  defense much better than the cowboys. Tennessee is a football team, the cowboys just aren't at the moment. 

McCarthy is looking like the worst coaching hire, by a lot.

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I don't think that people understand just how good Tannehill has been his last 14 games.

I agree the dude is doing some things higher than anyone and better than anyone in the league. Three step drops, playaction, performance with no pressure.

The injuries in Miami and Adam Gase were the best thing to happen to him. He was meddling considered an average jag qb.

6 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Tannehill’s very much playing himself into the elite conversation at this point. I can’t remember anyone at 32 doing that after never being that high up before but it’ll be hard to ignore by november if the results remain the same.

Rich Gannon after being a journeyman for the first 12 years of his career jumped to being an MVP-caliber QB(won the MVP in 02) at the age of 34 and had a nice 4 year run with the Raiders. It's what largely got Jon Gruden his QB whisperer reputation.

I'm not sure there's any other example of it though.

9 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Rich Gannon after being a journeyman for the first 12 years of his career jumped to being an MVP-caliber QB(won the MVP in 02) at the age of 34 and had a nice 4 year run with the Raiders. It's what largely got Jon Gruden his QB whisperer reputation.

I'm not sure there's any other example of it though.

Gannon was the closest I could think of, but even he I don’t remember being at this top 5 legitimate MVP contender level Tannehill is playing himself into right now. I was pretty young at the time though so maybe he was at that level 

Plunkett was the 1st overall pick in 1971

• He had a bad run in New England for 5 years.
  • This was followed by 2 unimpressive years with the 49ers.

He sat behind Stabler in 1979 for Oakland and then they gave him the job the next year.

He won 2 Super Bowls in the next 4 years.

He went 29-11 and 8-2 in those 4 seasons.

• * Note: 1982 was a 9 game season (strike year)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Tannehill is one of a kind,

One of a kind that can put you in QB purgatory, sure. 

A QB with no upside at this point in his career that will show flashes of a great play here and there just enough to keep you wanting to see more....and then boom, he hits the floor hard and makes you start questioning his legitimacy as a legit long term fix. 

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

A QB with no upside at this point in his career that will show flashes of a great play here and there just enough to keep you wanting to see more....and then boom, he hits the floor hard and makes you start questioning his legitimacy as a legit long term fix. 

Umm what? Have you been watching Tanny for the past like 18 games. No qb has played better. We only seen him in Miami. The minute he left and joined a new team, only his 2nd team. He has outplayed every qb in the league. 

13 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Absolutely he can.

Dalton has become a bit of a laughing stock and the poster boy for mediocrity in recent years but the truth is that he performs as well as the talent around him. If he has a great supporting cast, he'll be great (or at least really good). If his supporting cast is subpar, so will he be.

Everyone seems to think the Cowboys are cooked without Dak. I say the offense is the least of their worries right now, and that'll remain true going forward.

this

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

LOL

he'll just continue to prove you wrong then

14 hours ago, SkippyX said:

This current Dallas offense (without Dak) is not as good as those 2013 or 2015 Bengals offenses (when you include the O-lines)

I don't know if I agree with this. AJ Green is the best of the WR units, but the depth of the Dallas unit is hard to compare against...and Zeke Elliott is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Law Firm and Gio Bernard in 2013 and Jeremy Hill/Bernard in 2015 (SIGNIFICANTLY better, as in... I feel bad for BJGE, Hill and Bernard for ever being put in this comparison, because they never stood a chance).

Eifert is better than Schultz, but it wasn't like rookie Eifert was a terror (39/445/2). 2015 Eifert, sure but by then you had AJ Green regressing a bit (about 12 receptions for 200 yards less) so it's a wash for the most part.

I'm of the belief your division blinders undersells this Cowboys offense.