Things You (think you) Know About The NFL So Far

11sanchez11

20 minutes ago, BossierWhoDat said:

I know there will be at least two Saints rookies that are well-known by the end of this year (Kamara and Lattimore)

*I was going to say three, but Anzalone is on IR now ¬¬

The probability of that happening was probably like 92%. I loved him as a player...dude can't stay healthy. Couldn't do it in college, no reason to think he'll do it at this level. 

1 hour ago, footbull3196 said:

There are a few people that are, mostly bills fans that claim that "their team never gets any respect from anyone" (mainly because they haven't been to the playoffs this millennium) and a few writers

They're not as bad of a team as I thought and their defense looks like it will rebound from last season, but they have literally no consistent receivers and I can't see tyrod carrying the team.  So yeah I would agree 8-8 is their ceiling 

Lol looks like the defesne will rebound? We have the #1 defense through a quarter of the season.

I don't see how our ceiling is 8-8 after proving we can beat or hang close with really good teams (Panthers, Broncos, Falcons) but keep the hate coming.

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

The probability of that happening was probably like 92%. I loved him as a player...dude can't stay healthy. Couldn't do it in college, no reason to think he'll do it at this level. 

Yes, unfortunately. We've been discussing that over in our forum; it's too bad because he was progressing really well :(

22 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Lol looks like the defesne will rebound? We have the #1 defense through a quarter of the season.

I don't see how our ceiling is 8-8 after proving we can beat or hang close with really good teams (Panthers, Broncos, Falcons) but keep the hate coming.

This is exactly the type of reaction I was worried about lol.....

22 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

It's not hate. People were projecting them as a bottom 5 team this year, and now a lot are willing to concede a much higher ceiling. That's the opposite of hate to me. People need to see more than 4 games before they're willing to put them on the upper echelon of teams in the league or anything like that. Minnesota was 5-0 last year...how'd that work out? Teams start out hot all the time. People don't go from "one of the worst" to "one of the best" in the matter of 4 games in the minds of people. I speak from experience - the 49ers had a ton of hate during the 2011 season, and it took a long time before people conceded that they were one of the best teams in football. But 4 games is a pretty small sample size to do a complete 180. It's a gradual process. 

1 hour ago, footbull3196 said:

This is exactly the type of reaction I was worried about lol.....

Lol well when you post dumb stuff it’s the reaction you get. I’d get where you’re coming from if we started 3-1 and only beat sub .500 teams. But our opponents record thru 4 games is 10-2 (minus their games vs the bills)

We’re the only team to beat the broncos and falcons so far but yeah our ceiling is 8 wins, makes total sense! 

Just now, The BILLievers said:

Lol well when you post dumb stuff it’s the reaction you get. I’d get where you’re coming from if we started 3-1 and only beat sub .500 teams. But our opponents record thru 4 games is 10-2 (minus their games vs the bills)

We’re the only team to beat the broncos and falcons so far but yeah our ceiling is 8 wins, makes sense total sense! 

Your "ceiling" before the season was 5 wins.  I had you guys at 5-11 prior to the season starting.  Remember when the Bills started 3-1 in the 2011 season and beat the Patriots who went to the Super Bowl that year?  Remember how everyone claimed they were for real back then because of the "competition that they beat"  only for them to lose 8 of their last 9 and finish 6-10?  I dont think theres anything dumb about still being skeptical about sustaining success with a quarterback that has never had a winning season in his career

5 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

We’re the only team to beat the broncos and falcons so far but yeah our ceiling is 8 wins, makes total sense! 

What he posted wasn't dumb, and I was the one who first stated 7-9 or 8-8. 

15 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Your "ceiling" before the season was 5 wins.  I had you guys at 5-11 prior to the season starting.  Remember when the Bills started 3-1 in the 2011 season and beat the Patriots who went to the Super Bowl that year?  Remember how everyone claimed they were for real back then because of the "competition that they beat"  only for them to lose 8 of their last 9 and finish 6-10?  I dont think theres anything dumb about still being skeptical about sustaining success with a quarterback that has never had a winning season in his career

I don’t disagree with anything above, obviously we have to keep it up to get respect. I just disagree with you writing the bills off as not for real and 8 wins is our max. If we play like we have I can easily see us getting to 10 wins. 

Youre judging your expectations from previous teams, not this coaching staff and team. I can speak for all bills fans when we say something feels different with McDermott and his staff controlling the team. He’s the opposite of rex and players love him. Gets the most out of all his players and did that time after time in Carolina with that defense. 

1 minute ago, The BILLievers said:

I don’t disagree with anything above, obviously we have to keep it up to get respect. I just disagree with you writing the bills off as not for real and 8 wins is our max. If we play like we have I can easily see us getting to 10 wins. 

Youre judging your expectations from previous teams, not this coaching staff and team. I can speak for all bills fans when we say something feels different with McDermott and his staff controlling this team. He’s the opposite of rex and players love him. Gets the most out of all his players and did that time after time in Carolina with that defense. 

Thats a fair analysis and I respect that point of view, even if I dont completely agree with it.  I do think McDermott has clearly been a breath of fresh air compared to last season under Rex Ryan, and as long as the Bills have McCoy and Taylor they will at least have something to work with offensively.  An upgraded receiving corp with a true #1 receiver would go a long way for this squad

I don't think the Bills are a playoff team this year.

I think they're a nice surprise because everyone mistakenly thought that they were tanking this year, but they made those trades because they wanted a bit of a culture change. 

McDermott.... I still cannot believe how his post Eagles career has been so far. Great D.C. on Carolina and now he seems to be on his way to becoming a very good head coach.   The bills players seem to buy what he's selling and it shows. 

However, I don't think teams will overlook them now. Which I think has been happening this year a little bit. Their WRs aren't good enough to make up for Taylor's weaknesses. He has no real deep threat which he needs. I love J-matt but if he's at best a solid #2. Not a 1. 

And their run game has taken a big big step back. Shady is still probably very good to great but losing Gillislee has hurt them and most of all, losing Lynn to LAC.  

As for the topic some other things:

Washington and Philly are the two best teams in the NFC East.  Dallas is still a good team but I just don't see it this year. Their OL has been the 3rd best in their own division. They have their three stars but the LG and Collins at RT really hurt them. An oline has to play as a full 5 man unit and play as one. They aren't. And they won't be taking anyone by surprise anymore after 2016. Dak is being asked to carry the offense more with Zeke struggling and he hasn't shown that he is capable of doing so. Whereas I believe Wentz and Cousins can carry an offense when they need to. Also, I love D-lawrence but that Dallas D just isn't that good, or good enough to take over a game and make big plays. Philly has managed to won 3/4 games with 3/4 of them being road games. And our best players on D have been hurt as well. Cox will be back within 1 week. Hicks and McLeod are almost back to full heath. Darby will be back by maybe week 6. And Sidney Jones, the most talented cornerback from this last class, might make his debut mid season. Once it comes together, that's a top 5 D. And Washington is a legit defense also. Their pass rush has been surprisingly good and even great at times. 

The Rams are for real. They had the best off-season of any team I've seen in a long time. Goff is a franchise QB who was playing in a terrible offense for a terrible coach last year. So what do the Rams FO do? They go and get an offensive and QB guru in McVay, who like any smart coach, built his scheme and offense around his young QBs strengths. They hire Wade Phillips as DC, who is a perfect fit at that spot for McVay. They went and upgraded their horrid OL by signing an elite LT and a good veteran center, allowing their other three OLineman in Brown Havenstein and Saffold to improve. They trade for Sammy Watkins, who is a true #1 WR which they haven't had in I don't even know how long. They sign Robert Woods to a 5 year 39 million deal which most people crapped on (except myself, as I have always been a huge fan of Woods and he is a perfect #2 WR). Then they draft Cooper Kupp, who again, is a perfect fit for what they need as a slot WR. And this all allows Tavon Austin to be the gadget player and mismatch weapon that he is supposed to be. They instantly made their OL and WRs go from being the worst units arguably....to what looks like some of the best. And now their franchise QB and elite RB are primed to succeed. What the Rams did is what any smart team should do in their situation this off-season.  

Archived