Trade Targets

mar29020

Don’t get me wrong, I like Gerald Everett. He’s a really good athlete, the kind of guy who could break out if used properly. 

But I’m not sure I see how a trade makes sense in this scenario. He’s a FA after the year, which means we’d be trading for an 11-game rental of his services. How much value does that have for us, when we could just sign him in the offseason once he hits the market?

There’s certainly some value in trying to get him in the building now and potentially working out an extension before March if it seems like a good fit. But why would he be motivated to do that? He’s already about 85% of the way to UFA, when he could have 32 teams bidding up his price. At this point, unless we bowled him over with a well above-market offer, I think it’d be pretty foolish of him to give up potentially his one shot at the FA market

I’d offer something like a 6th (but I don’t think we have one due to the really smart David Sharpe trade) for that 10 game tryout and exclusive negotiating window. But the Rams wouldn’t do that. And I don’t think we should go much higher for a rental...so I think there’s probably no deal to be made. 

• Like 2

That said, the guy in total charge of our franchise recently said: 

“I'm taking a shot at the short-term for the short-term glory. If we come out of this having won three of the four, we're right in the middle of it. I just think now is the chance to take that shot and see."

So he doesn’t operate in the same reality as the rest of us who have had to watch this 1-4 team with the -53 point differential and 4 consecutive losses by at least 2 touchdowns. Which means pretty much anything may be on the table, particularly if they manage to suck less than the Giants this weekend. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

“I'm taking a shot at the short-term for the short-term glory. If we come out of this having won three of the four, we're right in the middle of it. I just think now is the chance to take that shot and see."

So he doesn’t operate in the same reality as the rest of us who have had to watch this 1-4 team with the -53 point differential and 4 consecutive losses by at least 2 touchdowns. Which means pretty much anything may be on the table, particularly if they manage to suck less than the Giants this weekend. 

Think this is the main concern of having a Coach with so much power,ala Bill O'Brian in Houston Coach is always going to lean towards win now cause they know losing now might mean they not here to see the long term outcome.To be honest don't blame the coaches in that spot as I'd think the same.

Say we win this weekend cause the giants Oline can't block Sweat and Young but Allen doesn't look good at QB and Eagles lose badly to Ravens and Cards beats Dallas first game without Dak. Falcons lose again and go to 0-6.

Falcons call and offer Matt Ryan and Julio Jones for Haskins and a few high picks(not going to happen just a example I'm using)

As a GM no way I give up Picks key to the future when it doesn't help us win a super bowl right now as them 2 wouldn't cover the other holes.

As a Coach it would be we leading the division getting a former MVP at QB and one of the best WRs in the NFL on a struggling offense with a great chance to win the division and anything can happen.Also winning now keeps you high on Dan Synder list or if Snyder messes up again and forced to sell team keeps you high on next guy list

e16bball, he's taking the exact same view I am.

Beat the Giants & the Washington/Dallas game becomes the game for 1st place & then we go into a bye.

I think what we do before the trade deadline, hinges on if we beat N.Y. or not.

This Giants game becomes a pivotal part of this season.

How many division wins, will determine the NFC East champion, imo. Even if that teams overall record is 6-10/7-9.

I believe Rivera & staff still wants to achieve that.

Kyle Allen has a very important game coming up. 2 actually...

4 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

That’s kind of my concern though. 

I love you, and your optimism buoys my spirits regularly. But when the team starts making decisions based on the very optimistic hope that they can achieve a top 5% outcome (like this team competing for the division), it leads to making rash decisions that prioritize short-term gains over the long-term health of the franchise. 

As fans, wishing and hoping for our team to become the best possible version of itself is sorta part of our job description. The same is true of coaches and players, they should always be focusing on maximizing what they have and working to win every game.

But a front office executive has to operate with a realistic evaluation of the team as it actually it is — not how they wish or hope that it could be. They don’t have the luxury of blind optimism, because that will cause them to squander or otherwise misuse their limited assets. This is what concerns me (and most people) about making the coach and the FO decision maker the same person. It’s awfully hard to wear both of those hats. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Beat the Giants & the Washington/Dallas game becomes the game for 1st place & then we go into a bye.

I think what we do before the trade deadline, hinges on if we beat N.Y. or not.

This Giants game becomes a pivotal part of this season.

How many division wins, will determine the NFC East champion, imo. Even if that teams overall record is 6-10/7-9.

I believe Rivera & staff still wants to achieve that.

Kyle Allen has a very important game coming up. 2 actually...

We can’t compete with Dallas. We just don’t have the talent across the board and it shows when you’re forced to start guys like Jon Bostic and KPL. Even in this outrageously down year for the East we still look to be the clear-cut worst. It’s actually alarming how bad the talent is on this roster. 

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying but there are a lot of fans on here complaining about us losing games too.  

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We can’t compete with Dallas. We just don’t have the talent across the board and it shows when you’re forced to start guys like Jon Bostic and KPL. Even in this outrageously down year for the East we still look to be the clear-cut worst. It’s actually alarming how bad the talent is on this roster. 

That'll happen when you've had the worst GM in sports the past decade.

34 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying but there are a lot of fans on here complaining about us losing games too.  

I’m cool with losing. What I’m not cool with is the coach doing weird crap. Not calling timeouts is weird and the 4th down Haskins play totally contradicts the things Rivera has said. My issues has been with Rivera just being all over the place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I’m cool with losing. What I’m not cool with is the coach doing weird crap. Not calling timeouts is weird and the 4th down Haskins play totally contradicts the things Rivera has said. My issues has been with Rivera just being all over the place. 

Well we will just have to wait and see if it pans out.

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We're in bad shape talent wise...

The Giants are in worse shape...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

That’s kind of my concern though. 

I love you, and your optimism buoys my spirits regularly. But when the team starts making decisions based on the very optimistic hope that they can achieve a top 5% outcome (like this team competing for the division), it leads to making rash decisions that prioritize short-term gains over the long-term health of the franchise. 

As fans, wishing and hoping for our team to become the best possible version of itself is sorta part of our job description. The same is true of coaches and players, they should always be focusing on maximizing what they have and working to win every game.

But a front office executive has to operate with a realistic evaluation of the team as it actually it is — not how they wish or hope that it could be. They don’t have the luxury of blind optimism, because that will cause them to squander or otherwise misuse their limited assets. This is what concerns me (and most people) about making the coach and the FO decision maker the same person. It’s awfully hard to wear both of those hats. 

They beat us for Chase I’m very much hoping they can do it again their QB is better then what we have I just hope their defense can look like every other against our OL

• Like 1