Trade Targets

mar29020

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying but there are a lot of fans on here complaining about us losing games too.  

I mean, don’t get me wrong — I hate it. I’m in the prime of my fan career, more time on my hands than I’ll ever have again, and both of my favorite pro teams (Orioles and WFT) are absolutely dreadful. Barely even worth watching, just hoping to be competitive in a few years, both of them. 

I hate waiting. You know what I wanted to do this offseason — sign some quality skill players, shore up the OL with a couple veterans, pick up a good LB or two, hope Haskins would take a sophomore jump and try to win some ballgames. Patience is not my thing, especially not in the NFL. In other sports, it’s more of an absolute necessity.

But...we are where we are now. I think we have 10, maybe generously 11, long-term contributors on the roster. And even that number depends on including a couple of high-priced, underperforming guys in Scherff and Collins, both of whom may not be long for the franchise. They’re not close. They really shouldn’t pretend they’re close. They need to take their lumps this year, add another blue-chipper and hopefully some more Kyle Smith finds, and perhaps consider being more aggressive in FA to supplement the draft this offseason. There’s still lots of work to be done, and trying to rush to do it midseason is only going to cause problems. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 4

Bill Barnwell from ESPN just put out an article where he proposed 13 trades for players rumored to be on the block. Two of them involved the Redskins.

Trade 1

Redskins Get: CB Justin Layne, 2021 4th Round pick

Steelers Get: QB Dwayne Haskins

Trade 2

Redskins Get: WR Dante Pettis, 2021 5th Round pick

49ers Get: DE Ryan Kerrigan

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Bill Barnwell from ESPN just put out an article where he proposed 13 trades for players rumored to be on the block. Two of them involved the Redskins.

Trade 1

Trade 2

*Washington

I would do trade 1 but don’t like 2.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, e16bball said:

That said, the guy in total charge of our franchise recently said: 

“I'm taking a shot at the short-term for the short-term glory. If we come out of this having won three of the four, we're right in the middle of it. I just think now is the chance to take that shot and see."

So he doesn’t operate in the same reality as the rest of us who have had to watch this 1-4 team with the -53 point differential and 4 consecutive losses by at least 2 touchdowns. Which means pretty much anything may be on the table, particularly if they manage to suck less than the Giants this weekend. 

He’s Mike Shanahan 2.0 IMO. Shanahan came in and talked about a long term rebuild. Bruce & Dan traded for McNabb - I’m not sure what Mike’s view on that was but I don’t remember him ever being staunchly against it, Kyle was though. So, right off the bat, Shanahan while saying the rebuild could take 4 or 5 years was at the least complicit in moves which pointed to the opposite. Remember he also traded a 3rd for Jamaal Brown who was avg/serviceable  - not great for us - but still, a little past his prime and injury prone. So that’s 3 draft picks he at worst didn’t fight about trading away for two vets.

Now, I have to give Rivera credit - he hasn’t done anything like that... yet - he traded a 5th for Kyle Allen, but Allen is only 24, not near 30 like Jamaal Brown or 34 like McNabb and obviously a 5th is much lower than a 2nd and two 3rds or maybe one of those was a 4th.

Where these two become similar is when their words become similar. Rivera in how he’s acting now and Shanahan in 2012 when he made the ultimatum when we were 3-5 or 3-6 or something?

Then, RG3 starts to play better and our D plays about average in Nov. But then, Ngata hits RG3’s knee and things change, but they don’t seem to in Shanahan’s goals for the team that year. Shanahan is believing everything RG3 is telling him about his knee instead of seeing with his eyes the obvious that with this brace and everything that Rg3 is not the same. He should’ve sat him down and protected his player and possible franchise player long term for his good and the franchise’s long term future.

I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong back then. I remember discussions with Mike23MD and Thai. I was not thinking RG3 could damage his knee further but them pointing out he could bc his knee was weaker now bc of the knee sprain.

Then the Seattle game happens, RG3 tweaks his knee after his second TD throw, Shanahan lets him go back in and plays him in the second half, again ignoring that his QB is not near 100%. Then, RG3 tears two knee ligaments on the awful FED Ex turf and he was never  the same again.

Rivera sees an opportunity here to win games against the weakest part of our schedule and for us to be in first place of the division if, he can get 2 or 3 wins in a bad division against the Cowboys & 2 vs the Giants at the mid way point of the season. This is similar to Shanahan putting his blinders on w/ RG3’s injury in 2012 and playing his superstar rookie QB in hopes of making the playoffs despite his QB not being near 100%. 

Rivera shouldn’t be talking division championship now, Mike Shanahan shouldn’t have been risking RG3’s and the teams long term future together for one playoff run.

Looking back on it, I shouldn’t have wanted RG3 to play anymore in 2012. And, Shanahan as the HC should’ve know better and protected RG3 from himself. 

I don’t agree with Rivera’s approach now to the rest of the season, what he said since February is now different than what he’s saying now and he’s putting at jeopardy the long term for a short term gain. My hope is that Allen craps the bed and we still end up with a top 5 pick but if he’s average, we may win more than 5 games and challenge for the division and that would be a shame bc we will be one and done in the playoffs w/ any of our 3 QBs and below avg LB and safety play. 

I still think Haskins should be playing and being evaluated or have a chance to work his way back to be the starter by improving his practice habits & studying but the past two weeks have me thinking otherwise - especially this week - “stomach virus??”

Give me a break, I think Rivera is making it up and telling Haskins to stay home or even worse Haskins is making it up.

Rivera says he’s not giving up on Haskins publicly, so I don’t know what to believe. The reports are they’re trying to trade him, I have not heard that Haskins himself has asked for a trade. So, this is all a wait and see, but I didn’t expect this much drama in Rivera’s first year. 

I expected Haskins to play all year, be up and down and then for them to evaluate Haskins after reviewing the season’s film to decide if he could get better and develop into a good starter. Maybe that still happens IF we’re eliminated from the playoffs in Nov or Dec, but it’s a wait and see.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

*Washington

I would do trade 1 but don’t like 2.

I don’t really like either of them, honestly. Both include essentially the same concept that I don’t like, which is including a project/reclamation player to try to drive down the pick being given up.

Layne is an interesting developmental player. He got overrated due to some pre-draft, combine-fueled helium — but he’s a big, long, rangy athlete who could develop into a very physical corner with good ball skills. There’s some Quinton Dunbar vibes there. He’d be more than a throw-in for lots of teams, especially since CBs are so critical and so hard to come by. But we’re already having trouble finding time for the guys we have and want to see at CB, between Fuller and Darby and Moreland and Moreau. How are we going to give this guy snaps to develop him?

Pettis plays the right position, at least. At one time, he was obviously pretty highly regarded, being the trade target for the Niners when they moved up to our pick during the Derrius Guice second round. He’s the kind of player I personally usually love, as an elite return man with decent size and impressive route running chops. And after his rookie year, he looked like a legit WR2 in the making. But then...the bottom fell out. He’s been totally phased out of the offense over the last season plus, and at this point he pretty much only played when they were completely desperate for WRs. At this point, it’s just a matter of time until he gets released.

I think I’d just prefer the better draft pick in each scenario to the lesser draft pick and the throw-in player. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, e16bball said:

Trade 1

Trade 2

It makes no sense for us to trade for a corner. If we trade Haskins it should be for a LB, WR, TE or even a back up RB if teams don’t want to give up the pick we want. We could trade Haskins for Anthony McFarland - the Steelers 2020 4th round pick - to be Gibson’s back up and then get the Steelers 2021 4th round pick too. I’d be down for that.

I agree with trade #2, I’d be for that. Pettis could be a solid #2 for us and getting the 2021 5th round pick as well is good. I’m not sure what happened in San Fran with him but we all know when Kyle Shanahan sours on a player they’ll probably never play much for him again so, a change of scenery could be good for him.

That being said, I still don’t see Kerrigan being traded and I have my doubts about Haskins being traded too. I don’t think we’ll be offered what we want for him. 

Edited by turtle28

On 10/15/2020 at 10:01 PM, e16bball said:

I mean, don’t get me wrong — I hate it. I’m in the prime of my fan career, more time on my hands than I’ll ever have again, and both of my favorite pro teams (Orioles and WFT) are absolutely dreadful. Barely even worth watching, just hoping to be competitive in a few years, both of them. 

I hate waiting. You know what I wanted to do this offseason — sign some quality skill players, shore up the OL with a couple veterans, pick up a good LB or two, hope Haskins would take a sophomore jump and try to win some ballgames. Patience is not my thing, especially not in the NFL. In other sports, it’s more of an absolute necessity.

But...we are where we are now. I think we have 10, maybe generously 11, long-term contributors on the roster. And even that number depends on including a couple of high-priced, underperforming guys in Scherff and Collins, both of whom may not be long for the franchise. They’re not close. They really shouldn’t pretend they’re close. They need to take their lumps this year, add another blue-chipper and hopefully some more Kyle Smith finds, and perhaps consider being more aggressive in FA to supplement the draft this offseason. There’s still lots of work to be done, and trying to rush to do it midseason is only going to cause problems. 

At least our Orioles have what appears to be the right guy in charge of things and is following a tried and true method.  Here, we've got Rivera reversing course after four games and perpetuating the dumpster fire.  

On 10/16/2020 at 6:30 AM, turtle28 said:

He’s Mike Shanahan 2.0 IMO. Shanahan came in and talked about a long term rebuild. Bruce & Dan traded for McNabb - I’m not sure what Mike’s view on that was but I don’t remember him ever being staunchly against it, Kyle was though. So, right off the bat, Shanahan while saying the rebuild could take 4 or 5 years was at the least complicit in moves which pointed to the opposite. Remember he also traded a 3rd for Jamaal Brown who was avg/serviceable  - not great for us - but still, a little past his prime and injury prone. So that’s 3 draft picks he at worst didn’t fight about trading away for two vets.

Now, I have to give Rivera credit - he hasn’t done anything like that... yet - he traded a 5th for Kyle Allen, but Allen is only 24, not near 30 like Jamaal Brown or 34 like McNabb and obviously a 5th is much lower than a 2nd and two 3rds or maybe one of those was a 4th.

Where these two become similar is when their words become similar. Rivera in how he’s acting now and Shanahan in 2012 when he made the ultimatum when we were 3-5 or 3-6 or something?

Then, RG3 starts to play better and our D plays about average in Nov. But then, Ngata hits RG3’s knee and things change, but they don’t seem to in Shanahan’s goals for the team that year. Shanahan is believing everything RG3 is telling him about his knee instead of seeing with his eyes the obvious that with this brace and everything that Rg3 is not the same. He should’ve sat him down and protected his player and possible franchise player long term for his good and the franchise’s long term future.

I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong back then. I remember discussions with Mike23MD and Thai. I was not thinking RG3 could damage his knee further but them pointing out he could bc his knee was weaker now bc of the knee sprain.

Then the Seattle game happens, RG3 tweaks his knee after his second TD throw, Shanahan lets him go back in and plays him in the second half, again ignoring that his QB is not near 100%. Then, RG3 tears two knee ligaments on the awful FED Ex turf and he was never  the same again.

Rivera sees an opportunity here to win games against the weakest part of our schedule and for us to be in first place of the division if, he can get 2 or 3 wins in a bad division against the Cowboys & 2 vs the Giants at the mid way point of the season. This is similar to Shanahan putting his blinders on w/ RG3’s injury in 2012 and playing his superstar rookie QB in hopes of making the playoffs despite his QB not being near 100%. 

Rivera shouldn’t be talking division championship now, Mike Shanahan shouldn’t have been risking RG3’s and the teams long term future together for one playoff run.

Looking back on it, I shouldn’t have wanted RG3 to play anymore in 2012. And, Shanahan as the HC should’ve know better and protected RG3 from himself. 

I don’t agree with Rivera’s approach now to the rest of the season, what he said since February is now different than what he’s saying now and he’s putting at jeopardy the long term for a short term gain. My hope is that Allen craps the bed and we still end up with a top 5 pick but if he’s average, we may win more than 5 games and challenge for the division and that would be a shame bc we will be one and done in the playoffs w/ any of our 3 QBs and below avg LB and safety play. 

I still think Haskins should be playing and being evaluated or have a chance to work his way back to be the starter by improving his practice habits & studying but the past two weeks have me thinking otherwise - especially this week - “stomach virus??”

Give me a break, I think Rivera is making it up and telling Haskins to stay home or even worse Haskins is making it up.

Rivera says he’s not giving up on Haskins publicly, so I don’t know what to believe. The reports are they’re trying to trade him, I have not heard that Haskins himself has asked for a trade. So, this is all a wait and see, but I didn’t expect this much drama in Rivera’s first year. 

I expected Haskins to play all year, be up and down and then for them to evaluate Haskins after reviewing the season’s film to decide if he could get better and develop into a good starter. Maybe that still happens IF we’re eliminated from the playoffs in Nov or Dec, but it’s a wait and see.

The similarities to how both came in wanting to rebuild and we have an immediate about-face both times just proves that Snyder is allergic to any sort of long-term planning and just wants immediate success.  The sad part is that if we committed to long-term planning with good football minds in charge, he would get the consistent winner he is so desperate to have. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 11:30 AM, e16bball said:

I don’t really like either of them, honestly. Both include essentially the same concept that I don’t like, which is including a project/reclamation player to try to drive down the pick being given up.

Yes, but in each scenario, each team doesn't have to make a second roster move to make the deal work.

7 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

I agree there shouldn't, but if we in 1st place after this week it wouldn't shock me if Rivera decided to try

Well, that problem was solved.

So, instead of being in first, Washington is now in last.

• Like 1

It’s time to fold the cards and search for some picks 

Time to take some feelers on

kerrigan 3rd or 4th

anderson 5th

haskins 3rd

scherff 2nd

collins (if contract is tradable) 4th

Barber Anything 

load up on picks and use some cap space this year in free agency. Not that they are great but look at the dolphins this year. They are winning some games and spent some money and used many picks. I’m not saying spend the whole thing but use it wisely.

Ronnie Staley is my number 1 target if Baltimore can’t afford him

• Like 1