Let's Talk About.. Derek Carr

RandyMossIsBoss

49 minutes ago, showtime said:

He's never been the same since that injury years ago.  That season he looked like he was going to start to develop into an elite QB.  Then he got injured and he's never been back to that level.

I assume you mean the leg break in 2016. He actually looked pretty good (I thought) through the first few weeks of '17 until the Washington game which the team in general stunk in and he broke a bone in his back. That I would say was a junction, he did seem sheepish and lacking confidence after that. Then of course in 2018 we dismantled the roster and he was poor but the team was absolutely terrible around him. The injuries definitely affected him though.

Its still very early of course but he seems to be playing better through the first 5 games this year I would say than he did in 2016. He was ultra clutch in '16 of course but I would think most Raider fans would say he's at the very least playing at a very similar level if not better. Possibly trusting his receivers for the first time in a long time.

I've said for quite a while Carr can win a team a Super Bowl.  The Raiders don't need a new QB, they just have to not overpay Carr and keep building around him. 

That defense continues to improve from this year to next and they're competing for a Super Bowl in 2021. 

• Like 2

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I've said for quite a while Carr can win a team a Super Bowl.  The Raiders don't need a new QB, they just have to not overpay Carr and keep building around him. 

That defense continues to improve from this year to next and they're competing for a Super Bowl in 2021. 

yup this is what ive said all along. Carr at 20mil is a steal, he needs help on O and that contract allows us to get 2 or 3 extra players to help him

Carr would be a steal at 20M if Mayock didn’t keep signing horrendous Free Agents like WR Tyrell Williams, NCB LaMarcus Joyner (worst NCB in the league), OT Trent Brown (best RT in the league when he plays, but he’s injured soooo often), LB Cory Littleton (very below average, putting it mildly...), and DT Maliek Collins (horrible, horrible). 

The only good FA he has signed is LB Nick Kwiatkowski who has been absolutely tremendous for us. 

Mayock, tremendous draft artist and thankful to have him, no idea what he’s doing in Free Agency though lol. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Carr would be a steal at 20M if Mayock didn’t keep signing horrendous Free Agents like WR Tyrell Williams, NCB LaMarcus Joyner (worst NCB in the league), OT Trent Brown (best RT in the league when he plays, but he’s injured soooo often), LB Cory Littleton (extremely average), and DT Mo Collins (horrible, horrible). 

The only good FA he has signed is LB Nick Kwiatkowski who has been absolutely tremendous for us. 

Mayock, tremendous draft artist and thankful to have him, no idea what he’s doing in Free Agency though lol. 

Yea he has to step away from FA, or get some better pro scouts in the building. I am thankful the contracts are mostly worked that we can get out of them with no dead money after a year or two though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yea he has to step away from FA, or get some better pro scouts in the building. I am thankful the contracts are mostly worked that we can get out of them with no dead money after a year or two though.

Yeah they are all gone most likely except Kwait. Trent Brown will be a tough decision. If they decide to keep him in 2021, he better play at least 14+ games or I’m done with him. Very possible we can be Super Bowl contenders in 2022 and I don’t want someone who is guaranteed to miss 4+ games a year. I’d rather have like the 10th best RT for 16 games than the best RT for 11 games. Just simple math. 

Forgot about Agholor though was a terrific signing, gotta give Mayock and Gruden credit there. 

6 hours ago, showtime said:

He's never been the same since that injury years ago.  That season he looked like he was going to start to develop into an elite QB.  Then he got injured and he's never been back to that level.

In 2015/2016 he actually had a good group of weapons around him and he's playing at an even better level this year with a talented supporting cast around him. 

People sleep on Carr, he was the only QB in the league last year to throw for 4,000+ yards while completing 70%+ of his passes in 2019. And he did that with a rag tag group of WR's for most of the year led by a rookie 5th round pick in Hunter Renfrow. We were also in the playoff hunt until late in the year and would've finished 9-7 if it weren't for 2 extremely flukey late game losses against the Jaguars and Broncos to end the year. 

Some NextGen stats to dispel idea that Carr is just making easy throws. 

The difference between Carr's expected completion %* and actual completion % is +6.1%, which is 3rd best in the NFL behind only Rodgers and Wilson (+7.7%). 

Aggressive throw %, throws in tight coverage, is 15.4% which is solidly middle of the pack. Not that this metric means much. I would say you just don't want to see your QB on the extremes of the high end (implies forces passes) or the extremes of low end (implies afraid to pull trigger).

His 18 deep ball attempts is middle of the pack, deep ball accuracy is top 10. 

*The probability of a pass completion, based on numerous factors such as receiver separation from the nearest defender, where the receiver is on the field, the separation the passer had at time of throw from the nearest pass rusher, and more.

These 5 games have been impressive no matter how you want to spin it, he's making big throws for them. Just a matter of if this is the real Carr going forward or a hot streak.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Carr would be a steal at 20M if Mayock didn’t keep signing horrendous Free Agents like WR Tyrell Williams, NCB LaMarcus Joyner (worst NCB in the league), OT Trent Brown (best RT in the league when he plays, but he’s injured soooo often), LB Cory Littleton (very below average, putting it mildly...), and DT Maliek Collins (horrible, horrible). 

Forgive me for my ignorance but how is Mayock a tremendous draft artist?

which picks did he hit home runs? 

Not too familiar with all his draft picks

Edited by rocky_rams