Week whatever: Two birds, One game {Eagles vs Ravens GDT}

Kiltman

Just now, Daimonas said:

plus imagine how legendary the eagles would be to win a superbowl with a backup qb and then win a superbowl after entering the playoffs with 5 wins lmao. i would brag about that all day every day

I see where you guys are coming from but I just disagree, I think in reality this teams chance at a SB are roughly 0, and while a higher pick is nice, that's not even what I'm most concerned about. It's the accountability the entire organization needs to feel. We are complacent since winning the SB, making the playoffs on essentially a technicality just delays the inevitable rebuild that must occur at every level. I'll pass on a single chance at a miracle SB run if it raises the chances I can once again enjoy watching an Eagles team. LIS, I do understand sentiment of treasuring every playoff opportunity since they're not easy, just think our best route to another SB involves a shake-up this offseason, which I fear a playoff appearance prevents.

Although as pete said, I guess we should worry about winning a 2nd game 1st lol... Giants could easily beat us next week and leap frog us in the division, and if we lose to the Giants I don't think we'll even need to bother debating these philosophies. I am kind of assuming we played the Steelers and Ravens well, and thus will definitely beat a bottom feeder team like the Giants, but it's entirely possible these games only were close from Steelers/Ravens taking their foot off gas with big leads. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I’ll root for a win every week till we are mathematically eliminated, but losing out and potentially getting lots of change in the org would obviously be better for the team.  

On gameday of course, but like I can definitely say in this moment I'd rather us be 5-11 and out of the playoffs than 6-10 and in if I could fast forward time.

9 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I see where you guys are coming from but I just disagree, I think in reality this teams chance at a SB are roughly 0, and while a higher pick is nice, that's not even what I'm most concerned about. It's the accountability the entire organization needs to feel. We are complacent since winning the SB, making the playoffs on essentially a technicality just delays the inevitable rebuild that must occur at every level. I'll pass on a single chance at a miracle SB run if it raises the chances I can once again enjoy watching an Eagles team. LIS, I do understand sentiment of treasuring every playoff opportunity since they're not easy, just think our best route to another SB involves a shake-up this offseason, which I fear a playoff appearance prevents.

Although as pete said, I guess we should worry about winning a 2nd game 1st lol... Giants could easily beat us next week and leap frog us in the division, and if we lose to the Giants I don't think we'll even need to bother debating these philosophies. I am kind of assuming we played the Steelers and Ravens well, and thus will definitely beat a bottom feeder team like the Giants, but it's entirely possible these games only were close from Steelers/Ravens taking their foot off gas with big leads. 

i can see why you'd prefer this but I'll counter and say there will probably be no sweeping changes while there are still this many injuries. Everything will be blamed on injuries first giving people a leash they shouldn't have.

Just now, Daimonas said:

i can see why you'd prefer this but I'll counter and say there will probably be no sweeping changes while there are still this many injuries. Everything will be blamed on injuries first giving people a leash they shouldn't have.

Meh it’s not like we lost our QB to a freak accident like Dak. The injuries go on whoever is in charge of personnel decisions aka Howie in my eyes. If he is signing and drafting guys that can’t stay healthy that is on him. 

I really don’t think you can blame this stuff on medical team. Maybe strength and conditioning team should be overhauled again tho. 

26 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I think some youngerish  fans are really spoiled on the Eagles. We’ve had a good 20 year run of being mostly competitive or good throughout. That’s some of this forums complete adult fandom. Not saying you are but I think a little perspective is needed. IMO you always cheer for the playoffs. We have had like a top 4-5 winning percentage in this century. It’s easy to just expect to be 8-8 or better every year. But when you start looking across the table and see the WFT, Lions, Raiders, Browns, Jags, Bills, etc. you realize that it’s entirely possible to be terrible for 20 years as well. We should consider ourselves fortunate that we have had a good football team that usually has a decent shot at the playoffs year in and out for the passed two decades. Not hope for a collapse just because we want a new regime that may or may not bring on a possible 20 years of obscurity. It’s like cheering against a president you don’t like. Their success is our success and the next guy is not guaranteed to be any better. I don’t love the FO/coaches right now but when you think about the possible alternative, you have to just cheer for a win. Every week. 

tldr; We’re fortunate to have a competitive team. I’d rather not cheer for a demise. It could be the start of a terrible drought. 

• Like 1