The ACC Thread

MikeT14

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Tagging @ramssuperbowl99 @beekay414 @NateDawg @malibuspeedrace @catcheryea to see if we can get some thoughts and feedback here.

I hate him so much. I don't even think Wisconsin has ever played Clemson, at least when it's ever mattered, and I still hate him with a near Urban like intensity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I hate him so much. I don't even think Wisconsin has ever played Clemson, at least when it's ever mattered, and I still hate him with a near Urban like intensity.

TBH, the sad thing for me is, 5-6 years ago I loved him, his story, etc., then to watch the entire house of cards come tumbling down to reveal an old school carpet bagger snake oil salesman was both discouraging and predictable.

People can say what they want, but Jim Tressell legitimately cared about those players and tried to help them.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

TBH, the sad thing for me is, 5-6 years ago I loved him, his story, etc., then to watch the entire house of cards come tumbling down to reveal an old school carpet bagger snake oil salesman was both discouraging and predictable.

People can say what they want, but Jim Tressell legitimately cared about those players and tried to help them.

At least you recognized it. 

And yeah CFB is systemically eliminating the Tressells of the world. Sucks because coaches are going to grow up trying to be Urban and Dabo, which is why we see the knock offs like Fleck.

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

If I had my choice between Minnesota and an equivalent level of program I would never go to Minnesota. Their tunnel now is just filled with rowing oars. I don’t mind a mantra, but it’s clearly past the point of overdoing it and making it about him.

This is something I've said repeatedly and we drowned it out with memes. Minnesota sold their program's entire identity to PJ Fleck.

Jerry Kill might not have gotten them all the way over the hump and his health issues were serious, but, like JT, he is a damn good man who cares about his players and program. They'll never get that sincerity back.

Edited tenses because, like Wade Boggs, Jerry Kill is still very much alive.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

If I had my choice between Minnesota and an equivalent level of program I would never go to Minnesota. Their tunnel now is just filled with rowing oars. I don’t mind a mantra, but it’s clearly past the point of overdoing it and making it about him.

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is something I've said repeatedly and we drowned it out with memes. Minnesota sold their program's entire identity to PJ Fleck.

Jerry Kill might not have gotten them all the way over the hump and his health issues were serious, but, like JT, he is a damn good man who cares about his players and program. They'll never get that sincerity back.

Edited tenses because, like Wade Boggs, Jerry Kill is still very much alive.

Again, not to beat "the sad thing is..." drum too much today, but "the sad thing is," the original "Row the Boat" montra that worked for P.J. and the culture of Western Michigan came off of the tragic loss of his baby son. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/western-michigan-coach-p-j-fleck-tells-emotional-181358296.html?scrlybrkr=151f72d2

“Row the Boat” focuses on what you can control — the energy you bring to your life (“the oar”), the sacrifices you are willing to make (“the boat)”, and the direction of your life (“the compass”).

“Row The Boat first came to the forefront when my wife and I lost our second child,” Fleck says in the video. “We had a second son after Carter, we had a second son name Colt. And Colton had a heart condition and we lost him shortly after birth. We knew toward the end of the pregnancy that we were going to lose him, it was just a matter of how long he’d be with us. We got to spend time with him, be with him, hold him. But to watch your son pass away in your wife’s arms is an amazing experience in terms of the amount of sorrow and the amount of frustration, questions.

“But it was something that I had in the back of my mind to say, ‘Hey, no matter what happens, no matter what we’re going to do here, we’re just going to keep rowing. Whatever turns out, however it turns out, we’re just going to keep rowing. Then when it does turn out, good or bad, we’re just going to keep rowing, keep rowing and keep rowing. So, it was able to, at least, help my method to get through some type of adversity.”

Having a coach who is willing to be that open with his players and that vulnerable (at the time, notice the 2013 article date stamp) is a special experience, and not an easy one for building a culture/male relationships.

Now that it's taken over the entire everything at Minnesota, it's completely absurd.

It's not what it was/used to be, and it's become something ridiculous.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@MWil23 reading that with the context of what it's become makes me ill. Urgh. 

That's why I was all in on team Fleck a few years ago. I even sent one of my best players to play for him at WMU back in the 2015-2016 window. Since then, he has gotten a divorce (which who knows why/what and it may not be his fault or anything, I'm just saying that his family priorities and dynamics at some point changed), taken over at Minnesota (I don't blame him for that either), and clearly the shift has more been on himself/his career, etc.

All that said, I will at least give him this:

Fleck devised the "Row The Boat" mantra as part of his grieving process after the loss of Colt, and extended it to his coaching style. After he left Western Michigan for Minnesota, Fleck and WMU were in a brief dispute over the intellectual property rights to the phrase, but they soon came to a settlement without resorting to the courtroom. Fleck received full rights to the phrase, and can use it freely at Minnesota (and presumably possible future coaching stops). As part of the settlement, Fleck is providing $10,000 annually to endow a football scholarship at WMU, and WMU will have rights to use the phrase for any memorabilia connected to Fleck's tenure with the Broncos.[60] Whenever his teams take the field, one of his players carries an oar.

Fleck and UNRL apparel company collaborated to release a "Row The Boat" clothing line, with proceeds benefitting University of Minnesota Masonic Children's Hospital and Ronald McDonald House Charities

• Like 3