Jump to content

2021 Salary Cap Thread


Recommended Posts

On 10/14/2020 at 9:06 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

I just don't think $175 million is possible. 14 teams already have more than $175 million committed for 2021.

The Cowboys are the closest team to the 175million and under, at 173. They don't have Dak signed.

The Titans are the next closest at 172. They only have 33 players signed through 2021.

The 49ers are the next closest at 168. They only have 37 players through 2021, and don't have a single CB.

 

Going to $175 absolutely GUTS every team. The NFLPA is going to flip their **** when 2/3 of veterans get cut in order to just fill rosters up to 53 players and keep it under $175, and that says nothing about Free Agents just not getting signed. 

 

Yeah there's just no way 175 is going to happen. Nobody wants that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the cap is $175 next year in 2021 and then goes up to $225 in 2022, do you think the NFL will try to work around this issue by allowing teams to "borrow" against the cap in 2022?  Example, Team A has $200 million in payroll, so they borrow $25 million from 2022's cap to increase their cap in 2021 to $200 million.  Their maximum cap permitted in 2022 would then be reduced by $25 million to $200 million.  Teams would then go back to the normal cap rules in 2023.

This type of approach would work for many teams and for many players whose contracts would ordinarily be terminated due to the reduced cap.  It might also prevent salary's from going downward for a year (affecting primarily players whose contracts unfortunately expire at the end of 2020 might be facing).  So my sense is that the players union would approve of this approach.  A few teams that are way under the cap next year would protest this move, but I think it would take just 3/4 of the owners to approve such a move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Soooo, I'm resurrecting this thread. I was wrong thinking the cap wouldn't go over 180 million. I'll try to dissect the situation and look at it as if there was 188M salary cap (****ty source in the tweet):

 

There's the chance that they add a 17th game (200M cap space then), but I guess that the salaries will be prorated.

 

With a 188M cap space we are 12.5M over the cap. We need to free 20M with cuts/trades/restructures extensions in order to leave space for the draft picks an PS. Probably up to 25/30M if we want to sign some FA.

Possible restructures:

Aaron Rodgers (up to -14.5M). Despite freeing a ****load of money, he'd have a 47M cap hit in 2022. Might not be the best strategy if you are thinking of starting love in 2022/2023.

Za'Darius Smith (up to -7.6M). This one makes more sense as Z will probably end his contract.

Adrian Amos (up to -2.9M). Same as Z, it's an easy restructure for us.

Billy Turner (up to -2,3M). Cut candidate up until a few months ago, he's essential to our line with he's ability to effectively play RG/RT.

Possible cuts:

Preston Smith (-8M). He could be traded, but I don't think a 2Y/24.5M year contract has a lot of value.

Christian Kirksey (-5.6M). Probably the most obvious cut, but you never know.

Dean Lowry (-3.3M). Probable cut, though I can see him finishing his contract.

Rick Wagner (-4.3M). I only see this one happening if we draft an OT in the 1st/2nd.

Devin Funchess (-1.3M). Not much cap space freed, but as a covid opt out I can see him not making the team.

Josh Jackson (-1.3M). Yeah, he can't play, though he's cheap.

 

However, when cutting players we have to think that the effective cap space for each cut is 660K less as a new player would have to be added to the team.

 

Possible extensions:

Davante Adams (-9.5M). By projecting a 3Y/60M extension with a 25M dollar signing bonus, we could lower his cap quite a bit. He might ask for more though.

Kevin King (+3M). If we can get him to sign a 3Y/18-20M deal we could have him next year with a 3M cap hit.

Chandon Sullivan (850K). ERFA.

Robert Tonyan (3.4M). RFA 2nd round tender.

Allen Lazard (850K). ERFA.

 

In this scenary I'd try to free around 30M. I'd restructure Amos+Z+Turner (-12.8M), cut Kirksey, Funchess, Jackson, Lowry and Smith (around -16.3M). With those move we'd be able to sign King/cheap corner and maybe add Watt (PLEASE).

 

What do you guys think?

 

Edited by VonKarman
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that re-doing the Rodgers contract is the easiest way to get all the cap space you need.  And ultimately it would make the QB happy.  Also possibly cripple us in the future, so despite it being "easy" it is also the most difficult decision to make.

Adams is the easiest one to extend and get some savings.  Let's just say for the sake of argument that you can get $7M of cap space by doing that.

I think Z is also a candidate for an extension.  Let's find $8M of savings by doing that.  (tally is up to $15M)

Kirksey I feel is the easiest to cut.  That frees up 5.6M.  (tally is 20.6M)

So you are "home" without having to do anything difficult.

And can still get more money if you address Preston, Amos, Wagner.  And decide if Lowry, Funchess and Jackson are worth it.

Personally, I'd extend Amos, see if Preston will take a little pay decrease (and make it up with incentives)and cut Funchess (He's WR#4).  Keeping Jackson to see if the light goes on and keeping Lowry because we have nothing behind him.

If this team is going to legitimately go after JJ or have plans on anyone else that is higher profile, then you work on Rodgers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Kirksey and Wagner just got cut. The big question is whether we cut Smith or not. I feel like it will depend on what happens with Watt.

We are right now somewhere around 4M over the cap with a 188M estimated cap space.

Edited by VonKarman
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

So, Kirksey and Wagner just got cut. The big question is whether we cut Smith or not. I feel like it will depend on what happens with Watt.

We are right now somewhere around 4M over the cap with a 188M estimated cap space.

I agree with that statement.  But I don't want to see Preston cut.  I'd reduce the salary and put incentives in there that can get it all back.  I still feel like Preston is important.

I'd rather they work on the Z and Adams contracts.  Maybe Amos, too.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I agree with that statement.  But I don't want to see Preston cut.  I'd reduce the salary and put incentives in there that can get it all back.  I still feel like Preston is important.

I'd rather they work on the Z and Adams contracts.  Maybe Amos, too.  

We can clear up to 5.2M in cap space by restructuring Preston. I do not like restructuring contracts of guys than might not finish them, but it's a possibility.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VonKarman said:

We can clear up to 5.2M in cap space by restructuring Preston. I do not like restructuring contracts of guys than might not finish them, but it's a possibility.

I think he's a guy that you simply release (like Hawk) and have another deal ready for him.  It's still a bad year to be a mid-level free agent.  But if he doesn't take the new offer, you simply move on.  It honestly shouldn't be that tough to find EDGE #3 in free agency this year.

It's not much money, but I think Funchess is a pretty easy one to release.  I'm not sure he gives you anything that you don't already have in Lazard and ESB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We also need to take into account that re-signing Sullivan (ERFA 850K), Tonyan (RFA 2nd round tender 3.4M)  and Lazard (ERFA 850K) is going to cost us around 3.2m in cap space (we have 61 players signed right now, so they would count less against the Top 51 cap as 3 players earning 660K each would have to be substracted from the cap count). I don't know if we'll resign Marcedes, but for the vet min he counts 887K against the cap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, VonKarman said:

We also need to take into account that re-signing Sullivan (ERFA 850K), Tonyan (RFA 2nd round tender 3.4M)  and Lazard (ERFA 850K) is going to cost us around 3.2m in cap space (we have 61 players signed right now, so they would count less against the Top 51 cap as 3 players earning 660K each would have to be substracted from the cap count). I don't know if we'll resign Marcedes, but for the vet min he counts 887K against the cap.

You can also re-sign Lane Taylor at $2.7M but he'll only count $990k on the cap. That's a no brainer to me. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FAH1223 said:

You can also re-sign Lane Taylor at $2.7M but he'll only count $990k on the cap. That's a no brainer to me. 

He's 31 and has played less than 200 snaps the last 2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't brought back.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

He's 31 and has played less than 200 snaps the last 2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't brought back.

I agree. He would steal snaps from Runyon, Stepaniak, and some of the other young, promising O-line guys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 4:16 PM, vegas492 said:

I think he's a guy that you simply release (like Hawk) and have another deal ready for him.  It's still a bad year to be a mid-level free agent.  But if he doesn't take the new offer, you simply move on.  It honestly shouldn't be that tough to find EDGE #3 in free agency this year.

It's not much money, but I think Funchess is a pretty easy one to release.  I'm not sure he gives you anything that you don't already have in Lazard and ESB.

Unfortunately, he's still an EDGE.  Which means even if he wasn't very good this year, there is still going to be a market for him.  But I would agree, Funchess is a pretty easy cap casualty.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...