DEN RB Melvin Gordon III charged with DUI

Broncofan

• 4 months later...

Well, this is going to be a huge litmus test for how the NFL treats DUI.....MG3 got his charges dismissed - because the reason for him being stopped caused the blood test to be thrown out.   The fact that he blew over the limit isn't in question.  

To be clear, the NFL drug policy says an arrest for DUI triggers a league investigation - and the NFL was present.   So while MG3 avoids a felony conviction or a DUI plea deal - the NFL burden to penalize is still there.    Still, this is rare to have a charge dismissed - yet there's very clear evidence MG3 was above the alcohol limit and driving.   Which is 3 games.   Guess we'll find out how committed the NFL is to their policy.   Honestly, given what happened with Britt Reid, the league would be well served to follow through here, given their burden isn't the same.  I'm not sure my fellow Denver fans would agree, but I know how I'd feel if it wasn't a Bronco player - same as above.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:14 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

While also being a millionaire with access to unlimited resources, such as a chauffeur. 

Read the guys tweets. Very hard to imagine he passed his college classes. 

If he’s suspended I’m sure the Broncos will be fine. Might even be able to find a back that doesn’t fumble 3 times in one game...

Edited by Leoric

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Seems like Phillip Lindsay is every bit as good.

He took a pretty big step back last year. Mistakes in pass pro, very average out of the back field in the passing game and he couldn't shake injuries.

Gordon at times was actually pretty damn good last year (sans fumbles), and (annoyingly) he proved Elway right in the value of having someone who can stay on the field for all 3 downs. Doesn't mean Elway was right to spend $8m a year to get that, though.

I really have my doubts of Phil ever becoming a 3 down back. We know his blocking will always be an issue because of his size, but he absolutely needs to improve at catching the ball.  He's good running the ball but he isn't good enough to have in the game just to run the ball. He needs to be a threat in the passing game so Defenses can't just key in on the run when he's in the game.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 4:17 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

He took a pretty big step back last year. Mistakes in pass pro, very average out of the back field in the passing game and he couldn't shake injuries.

Gordon at times was actually pretty damn good last year (sans fumbles), and (annoyingly) he proved Elway right in the value of having someone who can stay on the field for all 3 downs. Doesn't mean Elway was right to spend $8m a year to get that, though.

I really have my doubts of Phil ever becoming a 3 down back. We know his blocking will always be an issue because of his size, but he absolutely needs to improve at catching the ball.  He's good running the ball but he isn't good enough to have in the game just to run the ball. He needs to be a threat in the passing game so Defenses can't just key in on the run when he's in the game.

Weird. Lindsay was a great blocker and receiver in college.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Weird. Lindsay was a great blocker and receiver in college.

The receiving bit might be strange that it doesn't translate, but the blocking bit isn't. Complexity of NFL pass blocking vs College just isn't comparable. Not to mention his total lack of size becomes a far, far bigger issue in the NFL.

UDFA tender for Phil - guess the Broncos FO feel the same way I do. Still love the kid.

21 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

The receiving bit might be strange that it doesn't translate, but the blocking bit isn't. Complexity of NFL pass blocking vs College just isn't comparable. Not to mention his total lack of size becomes a far, far bigger issue in the NFL.

UDFA tender for Phil - guess the Broncos FO feel the same way I do. Still love the kid.

Eh, lack of size isn't a huge issue if you're strong, fearless, and technically sound. But it sounds like it's more mental than physical, which I can understand.

30 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Eh, lack of size isn't a huge issue if you're strong, fearless, and technically sound. But it sounds like it's more mental than physical, which I can understand.

Either way, he's a total minus in the pass game, and pass blocking game.   It just never took at the NFL level.  

Hate to say it, because he's a baller running-wise, but a total 1-dimensional guy.    Paton absolutely made the right call given the fungibility of the position.   We dodged a huge bullet after his first 2 seasons, so much talk of extending him - would have been a waste of $.     Wish him well wherever he ends up, I don't think it's going to be Denver.

And FTR - I hated the MG3 signing - not because I thought Lindsay should be the guy - but MG3 wasn't going to make us a significantly better team, we were headed for mediocrity, so it was a waste of resources (not to mention the lost opporunity cost in drafting a Day 2 rookie RB from last year's class, all over those guys).   But at least we didn't compound the mistake by then extending Lindsay, too, out of fear of the unknown after they leave.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Phil is plenty fierce. He just weighs 190lbs on a good day and he's trying to block 230lbs - 270lbs men. You have to be so technically sound at that weight to be good in pass pro, and he isn't.