MG3 charged with DUI

Broncofan

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Bad look on the Broncos waiting for a league ruling. Lindsey is back. I wish the Broncos would suspend Gordon for 3 games right now. The NFL in the past has shown deference to teams willing to punish in house 

There's probably lingo in the cba so things don't get messy. I'd have to see if team punishment is the norm. I know if it was domestic it would have been done

4 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Bad look on the Broncos waiting for a league ruling. Lindsey is back. I wish the Broncos would suspend Gordon for 3 games right now. The NFL in the past has shown deference to teams willing to punish in house 

They did the same thing with Kareem Jackson last year. He was arrested in September and we didn’t even find out about it until the league suspended him in December when the team was 5-9. They’re probably hoping they can do the same thing this year and have Gordon eat his suspension after the team has hit 8+ losses.

I saw the Lindsay stat line.  I am guessing he looked good.  I am not going to hold this against Gordon.  It's stupid, but I don't think he seems to have a history with this.  He will have to take his lumps in court and with the league. But I will be excited to see him and Lindsay in the backfield together.  

• 4 months later...

Well, this is going to be a huge litmus test for how the NFL treats DUI.....MG3 got his charges dismissed - because the reason for him being stopped caused the blood test to be thrown out.   The fact that he blew over the limit isn't in question.  

To be clear, the NFL drug policy says an arrest for DUI triggers a league investigation - and the NFL was present.   So while MG3 avoids a felony conviction or a DUI plea deal - the NFL burden to penalize is still there.    Still, this is rare to have a charge dismissed - yet there's very clear evidence MG3 was above the alcohol limit and driving.   Which is 3 games.   Guess we'll find out how committed the NFL is to their policy.   Honestly, given what happened with Britt Reid, the league would be well served to follow through here, given their burden isn't the same.  I'm not sure every Bronco fan would agree, but I know how I'd feel if it wasn't a Bronco player - same as above.

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well, this is going to be a huge litmus test for how the NFL treats DUI.....MG3 got his charges dismissed - because the reason for him being stopped caused the blood test to be thrown out.   The fact that he blew over the limit isn't in question.  

To be clear, the NFL drug policy says an arrest for DUI triggers a league investigation - and the NFL was present.   So while MG3 avoids a felony conviction or a DUI plea deal - the NFL burden to penalize is still there.    Still, this is rare to have a charge dismissed - yet there's very clear evidence MG3 was above the alcohol limit and driving.   Which is 3 games.   Guess we'll find out how committed the NFL is to their policy.   Honestly, given what happened with Britt Reid, the league would be well served to follow through here, given their burden isn't the same.  I'm not sure every Bronco fan would agree, but I know how I'd feel if it wasn't a Bronco player - same as above.

The NFL's policies are about as ridiculous as the charges being dismissed. Can the Broncos cut this guy w/o losing $?

9 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

The NFL's policies are about as ridiculous as the charges being dismissed. Can the Broncos cut this guy w/o losing $?

Denver can cut him without any more dead money - if the league suspends him.  But only then.   They can't cut him before without eating all the dead money included for year 2.

Given the announcement closes the investigation, I'd imagine the league will decide before the season starts - the question is how long this will take.  If MG3 gets 3 games, then I think that would affect Denver's decision on offering Lindsay a 2nd round tender (vs. original round, which makes it a bidding contest).    As long as there's no info though, this would seem to make the FO's decision a lot stronger towards the 2nd round tender - even though RB is devalued, and we shouldn't commit any long-term $ to Lindsay, you can't go into the season with no vet RB ready to take the ball for the first 3 games, and that's a very real risk here.

Edited by Broncofan

Getting off on a technicality doesn’t change the fact that he was clearly driving drunk, or that he’s clearly a moron. I’m tired of the lack of accountability that players are being held to these days. He could have killed someone. 

• Like 1