Should Result Play a Role in Punishment?

Spartacus

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should an illegal hit that resulted an in injury carry a stiffer penalty than it would otherwise?

• Yes
    • No

Since the Danny Trevathan hit there has been a lot of debate on if the suspension was justified. One of the arguments that I heard was that if Adams had not been injured on the play and just gotten back up it wouldn't have been a suspension or penalty at all. This got me thinking about how to enforce illegal or dangerous plays. I'm curious to see if illegal hits that result in an injury to a opposing player result in a larger punishment than the action would otherwise result in? 

I don't really lean one way or another but I use an example of a drunk driver. A drunk drive gets pulled over, spends a night in jail, gets a fines, ect.. but thats pretty much it. If that drunk driver injures someone however the punishment is much more severe. 

Not at all. If that is the case, then why have any rules regarding these things at all? You would then just be taking every action and judging it by the result. It could be a well intended hit, that a guy ducks into, and causes an injury (long concussion) and you penalize that hitter worse than a guy who is out there head hunting, but just hasnt connected clean enough to knock a guy out of a game? Just foolish way to go about it.

Everyone who watched the Travathan hit, and isnt stuck in the late 90's mindset of "Jacked Up!", immediately knew that was going to be a suspension.That was even before we saw the resulting injury. A guy being stood up by other defenders, the absolute true definition of a defenseless player (not the made up definition of a receiver going for a ball) and he lines that guy up, drops the crown of his helmet, and takes two full steps at him to connect right in the jaw...

Just a garbage play that deserved atleast the suspension that he received. Its all about intent of the action. And while many hits are grey areas, that can be debated, this is not one of those.

25 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I don't really lean one way or another but I use an example of a drunk driver. A drunk drive gets pulled over, spends a night in jail, gets a fines, ect.. but thats pretty much it. If that drunk driver injures someone however the punishment is much more severe. 

Also this analogy does not apply. If you get a DUI, weather you cause injury or worse to someone/something else, the DUI penalty is still the same. Its the corresponding penalties to the additional crimes you have committed that are what make the punishment worse. And this is where the analogy falls apart, those additional penalties you receive can be levied against you weather you were drunk driving or not. So if you smash into a building/car completely sober, you are still just as responsible for paying those fines and penalties as if you were black out drunk.

So if this is how you were to enforce in the NFL, guys who are making completely clean hits would then need to be punished for causing injuries (Broken bones, torn ligaments, etc.) It just does not apply in a game like Football, where you are going to have injuries to some extent during just about every time the ball is snapped.

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Also this analogy does not apply. If you get a DUI, weather you cause injury or worse to someone/something else, the DUI penalty is still the same. Its the corresponding penalties to the additional crimes you have committed that are what make the punishment worse. And this is where the analogy falls apart, those additional penalties you receive can be levied against you weather you were drunk driving or not. So if you smash into a building/car completely sober, you are still just as responsible for paying those fines and penalties as if you were black out drunk.

So if this is how you were to enforce in the NFL, guys who are making completely clean hits would then need to be punished for causing injuries (Broken bones, torn ligaments, etc.) It just does not apply in a game like Football, where you are going to have injuries to some extent during just about every time the ball is snapped.

I was using it as an example but I did not intend to say that punishment in the NFL has to be exactly like punishment in the court of law. Just thought it was a curious question that would spur some discussion but it seems like its pretty much a settled topic already ha. 

Ideally it shouldnt, but you cant tell me that the NFL wont be looking to come down harder on the players that end up causing a significant injury to another player, especially if it ends up being someone like Vontae Burfict who already has a reputation of being a dirty player and a history of being suspended

Ideally it shouldnt, but you cant tell me that the NFL wont be looking to come down harder on the players that end up causing a significant injury to another player, especially if it ends up being someone like Vontae Burfict who already has a reputation of being a dirty player and a history of being suspended

21 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

The next time Vontaze looks at a QB sideways he's getting an 8 game suspension.

I'm actually waiting for the suspension announcement for his perfectly clean hit on Kizor last Sunday.  Any time now...

To answer the OP, no.  It should be based on intent.  But it's hard to deny that result doesn't come into the equation in some ways.  Burfict probably doesn't get 6 games or whatever it was after the Antonio Brown hit in the 2015 playoffs if he gets up and plays the next snap.

While I agree that the result shouldn't play a part in punishment, you can't tell me that 1. Everybody's reaction and outrage isn't swayed by the result. 

2. The NFl don't hand out punishments like this. Heck the NFL has numerous occasions reacted to the reaction rather than the action. 

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

That's actually not true, at least not in my state. We have something called levels of a DWI, things like if you had children in the car, if you caused injury, if you blow over a .15, etc. factor in to the punishment. And then on top of that you have the additional charges to the corresponding crimes.

I'm not necessarily saying that should apply here though, it's an interesting debate.

Archived