Week 6 General Discussion

AFlaccoSeagulls

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

just watched the highlights - yikes - that last throw to Harry where he just falls down was a bummer. Why doesn't NE run more with Cam? Everything looks so....conventional.

I think most of the problems on offense yesterday can be chalked up to a lack of practice over the past two weeks, plus a reshuffling along the OL caused by the entire right side of the starting OL being out with injury/Covid. Cam was clearly rusty (although he was on target with most of his throws until the 4th quarter), But Josh McDaniels didn't exactly cover himself in glory with his playcalling, either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't believe so, but I'm an interested in hearing the story here

The most egregious from a coaching standpoint:

Midway through 4th q, Denver ahead 18-9, driving a takes a few minutes off the clock by running the ball, but because of a fumble they had to pounce on, face 3rd and long at their own 40. Lock throws a pick trying to pick up the long first down.

Okay, you were up by two scores against an offense that hadn't been able to reliably move the ball all day. Personally I'd say keep bleeding the clock, run the ball, flip the field and make them drive a full field to even have a chance, but okay whatever, oops...

Patriots can't really move the ball that drive but the pick return got them in FG range so the pick up the 3 points.

Kickoff, touchback, 1st down from their own 25 ahead by 6 points, just over 3 minutes left in the game, NE has 2 timeouts and the 2 minute warning. Instead of draining the clock, what does Denver dial up?...

A 5O EFFING YARD BOMB ON FIRST DOWN THAT IS PROMPTLY INTERCEPTED BY THE PATRIOTS

The drive took 9 seconds and set the Patriots up at their own 28 with 3:14 on the clock, 2 timeouts, and the 2MW.

Any halfway decent NFL offense is suddenly in absolute business, in prime position to win the game with a simple walk-off PAT

I'm not saying it's a sure thing, especially with how inept NE looked on offense yesterday, but it suddenly gives the other team a massive breath of life that in no way needed to be there.

The win probability swung by about 30-40 percentage points.

These people are professionals, but there is something about being in the heat of battle of a football game that turns so many people into straight up imbeciles.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Texans would have almost certainly got the 1st down only needing 1 yard on 2nd and 3rd down, and probably would have went for it on 4th too. 

Instead of defending the play and wasting time on the clock, Vrabel left 12 guys on the field, which stopped the play for a penalty and gave Texans a 1st down that they woulda got anyway.  At the very least it saved them 40 seconds, possibly more.

And considering how everything turned out, may have won them the game.  It’s such a small but great decision. 

Too many HCs act dumb with clock and timeout management.  Like wasting a timeout to avoid a delay of game on 1st down, that almost never makes sense.  So to see Vrabel do that and be fully aware of the clock and the situation, that’s great

Ah yeah, smart. Don't think much of the 'selling it' (lol Mike!) but in a game where elite coaches often seem to struggle with basic clock management, this was gooood

14 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I think the Eagles will pass them by the end of the season. Division winner will no doubt have a losing record, wonder if double digit losses too.

In only his 2nd season, Danny Dimes has the Giants a mere one game out of 1st place in the NFC East. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

why block when you can just run a fake route and be more effective

If Tannehill tried that Brett Favre "fake throw" to that TE, that would get even more of the 2/3 level flowing the wrong way...

Do people remember when Favre would do that - hand off to the RB and then pivot and fake a throw to the backside? It was pretty convincing, I'm sure that with a play design like this would create some big lanes...

Yes 

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If Tannehill tried that Brett Favre "fake throw" to that TE, that would get even more of the 2/3 level flowing the wrong way...

Do people remember when Favre would do that - hand off to the RB and then pivot and fake a throw to the backside? It was pretty convincing, I'm sure that with a play design like this would create some big lanes...

Yes I remember this. I believe he said in an interview that he started doing it because he was bored and thought it would be fun, classic Favre 😄

• Like 4