bell

3rivers

I for one and hoping we sign him to a team friendly deal and think it can happen. With the proven track record of Gase just ruining good players (Kenyan Drake, Tannehill, Bell, Robby Anderson, DeVante Parker, etc) you have to think it’s his fault Bell has fallen off a cliff.

I love Conner as much as the next guy but let’s face it, this is his last season here and he certainly doesn’t provide what Bell could provide to this offense. 

FWIW Bell admitted the Steelers tried to trade for him in the offseason but couldn’t make anything happen due to his contract. Now that we could hypothetically sign him to the league min I believe he at the very least will be on our radar and we will be one of the teams he talks to. I genuinely think Bell loved his time with the Steelers especially after seeing what it was like with another franchise so I think he will at least consider us.

We have shown we aren’t afraid to make a splash move to maximize this window with Ben. Don’t be surprised if we sign Bell in the next few days...

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

it's good the way the team is now, why change it.  Just hope Connor stays healthy and go with that.

Poor mentality to have and I guarantee Colbert doesn’t think this way. Always have to be willing and ready to improve the team when the opportunity presents itself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm not sure why people hate him so much. He made a business decision. We laud teams for doing it. 

I dont hate the decision at all, I hate the way he did it. Told fans and put it out there that he would "run it back like last year" (his words) then just.....didnt show up. Went radio silent. Liked weird things on twitter and loved showing himself off doing other things. Showed up in Pittsburgh just to not come back. Conducted interviews to talk about it but never talked to the team. Dont care at all what he did (I am actually pretty sure I endorsed it at the time) - but just come out day 1 and say, hey I wont play on the tag again. Or Im not showing up until week 11 like his original plan was. Allowing the whole "when will he be here" to become a distraction didnt need to happen, and he had complete power over that. 

And TBH, I dont hate him at all, but I am glad that the decision didn't work out -- both in money and ending circumstance. 

Having said that -- I would absolutely bring him in, provided he wanted to come back for a mil and be a Co-Back. He immediately makes us better on third downs and in the RB involved passing game. Kick Jaylen to the curb, provide some more competition in a room that might need it and doesn't have a real clear future. Maybe Bell comes back, buys in and has success and we move forward with Bell, McFarland, and Snell next year. Maybe none of it works out, but McFarland gets a tremendous opportunity to see a real pro at blocking/receiving. 

I just dont see the downside. Its Connors position, but its not like he has grabbed the bull by the horns (some of which really isnt his fault). Bell is still incredible in areas that we are okay in the current RB room.

Now, I think a guy that waited for an entire year to play might not mind waiting another week or 2 to see if any injuries shake out....but I would absolutely be giving a call to see what he might be interested in. I think it could be a good fit for both parties.

Edited by Dcash4

1 hour ago, Big Snack said:

Bell would not be here to replace Conner but to replace Samuels as just stated. Jaylen could sit on the ps and at the very least our 3rd down protection goes right to top end of the league 

If we sign Bell he will not be replacing Samuels lol...He will be 1A with Conner being 1B. I would envision a 70-30 split. Samuels would be either cut or sent to the PS. 

As @43M mentioned Conner is likely to get injured again at some point this season. Snell has looked shaky at best since week 1 and McFarland surely isn't ready to be a featured back. 

One last point I'll make...Bell showed up to TC this year looking freaking chizzled. I hadn't seen him in that good of shape since the 2016 season. Check out his Instagram if you don't believe me. 

What you have now is hunger, youth and balance. At least in the backfield.
You don't disrupt that for nostalgia. Future Bell is better than NYJets Bell, but this just doesn't make
sense. He should go to San Francisco, on a decent deal and rebuild his reputation.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:40 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

He's better than Snell. 

Hell no, he isn't right now.  Also love how you automatically omit James Conner out of the discussion to make a point.  

I'm not sure why people hate him so much.  

We don't hate the guy by any means, but we know that he's self-serving.  

He made a business decision. We laud teams for doing it. 

Big difference there.  Players are completely dispensable.  NFL organizations are not.