Darnold "should" Request a Trade

Bobby816

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Who was all this talent though? Deontay Burnett who was an UDFA? Michael Pittman who was a true freshman? Only legit talent he had was Ronald Jones at RB.

So he didn’t have all this crazy talent around him.

He had a strong offensive line, and they had a lot more talent then most of the teams they played. Every team So Cal puts a team on the field no matter the year always has five star recruits on their roster. So Cal had a few QB's that had a lot of success in college but fail in the NFL. The only one that had real success  was Carson Palmer, Rodney Peete was a very good backup, All the others were no more than backups, Ron Johnson was a backup QB for years but was the QB that won the SB with Tampa. That Tampa team was all about defensive. When you watch Mayfield , Jackson or Allen play they are all very active at the LOS Darnold acts like he in a trance,

9 hours ago, drew39k said:

I'd disagree whole heartedly on any take involving Flacco looking poised under center against a mediocre cards d.

There were a number of plays where Joe looked completely flustered. Wrs were running open too. He tried to force balls to receivers in tight coverages. 

Hell, midway through the third quarter he had 84 yards passing... Jamosom Crowder had like 80 percent of all of Flaccos passing yards for the entire game.

The jets put up 10 points against arguably the worst defense they've played this season. The only time they put up less was against a Colts d that is considered among the best in the NFL.

I did not say he was good, he just "looked" better in the pocket vs. Darnold.  And, I must admit, I stopped watching at half-time.  Seems to more common with me lately.  I will defer to your evaluation but I still maintain Darnold does not look comfortable at all.  As for Crowder, doesn't he have like 80% of all passing yards in every game?  gase has a major hard-on for slot receivers.  He also did in Miami with Landry.

6 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

He had a strong offensive line, and they had a lot more talent then most of the teams they played. Every team So Cal puts a team on the field no matter the year always has five star recruits on their roster. So Cal had a few QB's that had a lot of success in college but fail in the NFL. The only one that had real success  was Carson Palmer, Rodney Peete was a very good backup, All the others were no more than backups, Ron Johnson was a backup QB for years but was the QB that won the SB with Tampa. That Tampa team was all about defensive. When you watch Mayfield , Jackson or Allen play they are all very active at the LOS Darnold acts like he in a trance,

I brought this up a long time ago when we drafted Sanchez.  Different board back then (have been here since 2007).  I got skewered for suggesting the exact same thing.  I was told a "school" does not make or break players.  All players have to be evaluated in a vacuum.

I try very hard to be objective with player evaluations, but I still have superstitions about some things.  Like USC QB's and Alabama CB's.

8 minutes ago, xrade said:

I brought this up a long time ago when we drafted Sanchez.  Different board back then (have been here since 2007).  I got skewered for suggesting the exact same thing.  I was told a "school" does not make or break players.  All players have to be evaluated in a vacuum.

I try very hard to be objective with player evaluations, but I still have superstitions about some things.  Like USC QB's and Alabama CB's.

When I was talking about USC QB' i was just not going back twenty years, I was talking about the last 55 years. Look at all the superstars at the WR,RB.& Oline, from USC that had huge success in the NFL. The same can not be said about their QB;s

39 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

If we are worried about drafting QBs coming from stacked college teams we should pass on Lawrence then 

No we are only talking about QB's from USC and their their history when their QB's went to the NFL. You didn't read the whole thing.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

No true really. A lot of us were worried about him only starting 1 year. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

No true really. A lot of us were worried about him only starting 1 year. 

This is true along with Pete Carroll's statement the he was not ready.  When your college HC tells the world he isn't ready and the team drafts him anyway, that is probably a poor decision by the drafting team.

My point was that I have a superstition about USC QB's and that a school has no reflection on the player.

11 minutes ago, xrade said:

This is true along with Pete Carroll's statement the he was not ready.  When your college HC tells the world he isn't ready and the team drafts him anyway, that is probably a poor decision by the drafting team.

My point was that I have a superstition about USC QB's and that a school has no reflection on the player.

And I get that... but it really shouldn't. That'd be like us just straight up hating JD already bc our past GMs have been awful. The University has nothing to do with the player is what I'm saying.

The connection to Sanchez failing and Darnold "possibly" failing are very similar though. The Jets after a couple good seasons idiotically thought Sanchez was a star. And thought he could be great with 0 talent around him, and let the offensive talent we had go. When Sanchez showed none of that in his few successful seasons. Sanchez's regular season stats were always awful. We made the playoffs our AFCCG years from defense and rushing. Now Sanchez did play well in the postseason, I will always give him that. But we idiotically thought he was great and let everyone go. And in turn that made the era of us possibly being good for awhile go down fast.

Darnold on the other hand has never been given talent. So you're asking a guy to make wine out of water. We might have ruined yet another QB that could have been good.

The connection is that we completely neglected giving either of these guys talent on offense. We made the investment into both of them and expected them to do it by themselves after that. When that's not how it works. Look around the league and you see the other 31 teams get that. Yet we don't. And this is where I question JD. Bc he doesnt seem to value that either. Letting Robby walk and thinking Perriman was a legit replacement. Only drafting Mims (who has yet to see the field), bringing in a 37yr old Gore who's washed up, which in turn blocked Perine from getting action. I have my doubts about JD, that's all I'll say. But I need 1 more offseason I think to really judge him.

Maybe I am not stating it correctly.  I agree a school has nothing to do with whether or not a player will be successful.  We are on the same page in that.  What I also said is that it was a superstition of mine which is not based on facts or data.  Hence, foolish superstition.

I also completely agree the Jets failed both QB's for the reasons you mentioned.  I never suggested otherwise. 

I am not sure why you think we are in disagreement here.