New Orleans switching from hosting Super Bowl 58 to 59

pf9

https://www.si.com/nfl/saints/news/breaking-new-orleans-chosen-as-the-host-city-for-super-bowl-lix

Award Super Bowl 58 to Cleveland. Even though the Browns are playing well this year, the way the NFL seeding system is done effectively requires them to win their division to host at least one playoff game. And the Browns, the team with the longest ever division title drought in NFL history, are in a very tough division with the Ravens and Steelers.

Of course I think the NFL should just remove seeding priority for division winners, and in later years add an 8th playoff team to each conference to eliminate the first-round bye entirely, something that has become too much of a competitive advantage in recent years. Owners of teams like the Browns, whose last home playoff game was at the old stadium in 1994, and other teams with long home playoff game droughts, would be in favor of removing seeding priority for division winners if it meant their teams would host a playoff game sooner.

For perspective, 21 of the league's 32 teams all had at least one playoff game at home between 2015 and 2019. Here are the last home playoff games for each of the other 11 teams:

Detroit: 1993 season (in previous stadium)
Cleveland: 1994 season (in previous stadium, First Energy Stadium is oldest current NFL venue never to host an NFL postseason game)
Buffalo: 1996 season
NY Jets: 2002 season (in previous stadium)
Las Vegas: 2002 season (while still in Oakland)
Tampa Bay: 2007 season
Miami: 2008 season
Tennessee: 2008 season
LA Chargers: 2009 season (while still in San Diego)
NY Giants: 2011 season
Indianapolis: 2014 season

Three home playoff game droughts date back to the 1990s, while the league was still six divisions. Two of those same droughts date back to when those teams played in their previous stadiums.

The Jets' last home playoff game likewise came while still playing in their previous stadium. Another two home playoff game droughts are of teams who have since relocated in the years following their most recent home playoff game.

So chances are most of these owners are going to push towards the removal of seeding priority for division winners if it means hosting a playoff game sooner.

And also, Super Bowl 48 in New Jersey was a huge success. So naturally for the 10th anniversary of that game, another cold-weather city should host the Super Bowl. The NFL and CFP need to stage more Super Bowls and title games outdoors in cold-weather cities, surprised there hasn't been another one since Super Bowl 48.

If Super Bowl 58 had been kept in New Orleans it would have conflicted with Mardi Gras.

41 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I feel sorry for the fans of those teams, but tough luck to the owners who continuously hire incompetent people and make poor decisions for the franchise.  

These owners could very well sway the NFL into removing seeding priority for division winners.

I mean, if a Lions team who finished second in their division finished with one of the top 4 records in the NFC, then absolutely they should have a top 4 seed and open the playoffs at Ford Field.

In the case of the Chargers, they tied for the best record in the AFC during 2018, but because they lost a tie-breaker for the AFC West title, they got sent all the way to the #5 seed, rather than hosting their first playoff game in 9 years and first since moving to LA. They regressed badly the next year (which reinforced the sentiments of some Angelinos that they did not want the Chargers in their city) and are currently sitting in last place this season. Maybe if they traded for Sam Darnold, a local boy, he could very well improve his play because of the fact he is returning to the city where he played HS and college FB and bring the Chargers back into the playoffs as soon as next season. Homesickness has affected quite a lot of athletes over the years.

However, there used to be at least one division winner that opened the playoffs on the road every year from 1933-89.

Plus in 1982, seeding priority for division winners was removed due to the strike. Dallas was the #2 seed in the NFC that year even though it was a division rival, Washington, that got the top seed. It worked, they would meet in the NFC title game.

I feel division rivals that finish with the top 2 records in their conference should get a better chance at meeting in the CCG. And it hasn't been since 1989 that a division winner had to open the playoffs on the road. Though it was possible for a division winner to advance to the Super Bowl without ever having a home playoff game prior to 1990, it never happened. But the fact it was possible was enough.

Right now, Dallas would be the lowest seed in the NFC under my format even though they lead the NFC East. Division winners don't always deserve seeding priority, the NBA has realized that, it's about time the NFL (and for that matter, MLB) realize it too. So we are long overdue for another division winner opening the playoffs on the road.

Edited by pf9

54 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I like that teams are guarenteed a home game for winning their division, personally.

I agree.

Hate that people want to devalue winning your division. It isn't our fault two folks in your division went 12-4 and beat you on tie-breakers because you had an inferior division record or loss the H2H. Also isn't our fault that another division had inferior play but still won their division at 9-7. If you want a home playoff game... do better in your division. 

• Like 2

Says a fan of the team who benefited greatly from Cleveland being screwed over.

I already said that for over 50 years, at least one division winner had to open the playoffs on the road. In many cases, especially prior to seeding being instituted in 1974, a division winner never got a home playoff game - in fact, there were only two divisions from 1933-66. So precedent in the end rules the day.

In fact, if the NFL had been smart, they would have handled the Art Modell situation much differently. Here's how it should have been handled:

1. Art Modell is forced to sell the Browns to an owner willing to keep the team in Cleveland

2. Modell would be granted an expansion team in Baltimore that begins play in 1998 when the new stadium opens

3. The Browns play 1996-98 home games at Ohio State and are treated to the Buckeyes' gameday traditions at each game, then move back to Cleveland at their new stadium in 1999

If that all had happened, Browns and Ravens history would have worked out quite differently.

Plus, the Ravens would have started play in the AFC East, and come 2002, the Dolphins move to the AFC South and the Colts (a rival of the Ravens for a few years) to the AFC North. What that amounts to is Art Modell screwed the Jaguars out of an in-state division rival.

18 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Says a fan of the team who benefited greatly from Cleveland being screwed over.

I already said that for over 50 years, at least one division winner had to open the playoffs on the road. In many cases, especially prior to seeding being instituted in 1974, a division winner never got a home playoff game - in fact, there were only two divisions from 1933-66. So precedent in the end rules the day.

Then we fixed that. Personally I like it better that way. And my team has sucked for the majority of my life; so....

Now, back to the topic at hand, Cleveland should host Super Bowl 58.

It would be the biggest NFL game ever held in Cleveland. Super Bowl 48 showed that the NFL is capable of hosting its showcase game outdoors in a cold-weather city.