Jon Allen remains a stud run defender

turtle28

19 hours ago, offbyone said:

Then why don't pay the man already and lock him up.

Good point, they should extend Jon Allen. He’s definitely the one to keep between he and Payne I think bc of Allen’s leadership. The question becomes whether we keep Payne or Sweat in a few years. I don’t think Ioannidis gets a 3rd contract from us at 29 years old in 3 years but, I don’t think we should let Payne & Ioannidis go in the same off-season. Payne is 3 years younger but, he may cost a lot more. It probably make most sense to re-sign Ioannidis - dispite him being 29 in 2023 - letting Payne take a big contract somewhere else - take the 3rd round comp pick in 2024 - and then re-sign Montez Sweat the following year.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Good point, they should extend Jon Allen. He’s definitely the one to keep between he and Payne I think bc of Allen’s leadership. The question becomes whether we keep Payne or Sweat in a few years. I don’t think Ioannidis gets a 3rd contract from us at 29 years old in 3 years but, I don’t think we should let Payne & Ioannidis go in the same off-season. Payne is 3 years younger but, he may cost a lot more. It probably make most sense to re-sign Ioannidis - dispite him being 29 in 2023 - letting Payne take a big contract somewhere else - take the 3rd round comp pick in 2024 - and then re-sign Montez Sweat the following year.

We keep them all if possible!  But you can't do that if you don't start with Allen.  And the longer you put off these extensions, the less likely it will be for us to get them signed.  Signing Payne and Allen in the same year will be a problem.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

We keep them all if possible!  But you can't do that if you don't start with Allen.  And the longer you put off these extensions, the less likely it will be for us to get them signed.  Signing Payne and Allen in the same year will be a problem.  

Allen and Payne are a year apart on when they’d need contract extensions - remember Payne has a 5th year option like Allen is on this year. We could keep them all but that’s a hefty salary allocation to just one position group.  

Tim Settle is a free agent in 2022. Same year as Jon Allen if we don't extend Allen before his 5th year option kicks in. How Settle plays now is going to determine if he’s kept, traded or if we keep him and trade one of our top 3 DTs.

Allen is going to cost $10 million or more to retain in his contract. Payne and Ioannidis are both up for a new contract in the 2023 - if we give Payne the 5th year extension - but Payne will only be 26 then, Ioannidis will be 29. I would think Ioannidis will cost around $10 million a year too to retain even when he’s 29. That’s $30 million plus to the DT position. We’re going to have to draft Ioannidis’ or Payne’s replacement in 2023.

Then Sweat is going to be like $15 million a year and Chase the year after him could command near a $200 million contract if he lives up to the hype which I think he will bc he looks like the real deal. As PH said before DEs are more important than DTs so I’d keep Sweat over keeping the DTs.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Allen and Payne are a year apart on when they’d need contract extensions - remember Payne has a 5th year option like Allen is on this year. We could keep them all but that’s a hefty salary allocation to just one position group.  

Tim Settle is a free agent in 2022. Same year as Jon Allen if we don't extend Allen before his 5th year option kicks in. How Settle plays now is going to determine if he’s kept, traded or if we keep him and trade one of our top 3 DTs.

Allen is going to cost $10 million or more to retain in his contract. Payne and Ioannidis are both up for a new contract in the 2023 - if we give Payne the 5th year extension - but Payne will only be 26 then, Ioannidis will be 29. I would think Ioannidis will cost around $10 million a year too to retain even when he’s 29. That’s $30 million plus to the DT position. We’re going to have to draft Ioannidis’ or Payne’s replacement in 2023.

Then Sweat is going to be like $15 million a year and Chase the year after him could command near a $200 million contract if he lives up to the hype which I think he will bc he looks like the real deal. As PH said before DEs are more important than DTs so I’d keep Sweat over keeping the DTs.

The option year makes no sense to me in these situations where we have healthy studs we like.  If we like them, then just extend them.  It is cheaper that way.  Don't over think it redskins, commit.  Who cares if it is 10M.  What the heck are we hoarding cap space for?   

38 minutes ago, offbyone said:

The option year makes no sense to me in these situations where we have healthy studs we like.  If we like them, then just extend them.  It is cheaper that way.  Don't over think it redskins, commit.  Who cares if it is 10M.  What the heck are we hoarding cap space for?   

That’s very true, especially for whichever of the DL they want to keep long term and Terry. TBD whether anyone else on the roster is worthy of that kind of $ yet, but there are some others who I think will/have earned second contracts like Moreau. Man I wish they’d play Moreau more than Darby.