Pace and Wasted Free Agency Dollars

WindyCity

The Tribune guys on the Podcast were talking about how massive a trainwreck the Bears opening press conference of free agents were. Hard to disagree. I know free agency is a crap shoot, but this is pretty terrible return on investment.

mikeglennonpresser.jpg

Just a massive waste of money and 4 games.

wheaton-main-031317.jpg

2 Major Injuries and 0 Catches

demps-inside-031517.jpg

Wasn't very good and then got hurt

Pace firmly wants to build his team through the draft, and IMO he has done that (save for the hack that is Kevin White).

Mike Glennon - ostensibly a 1 year deal to allow Mitch Trubisky to develop.

Markus Wheaton - add a speed dimension to this team, technically can be viewed as a 1 year deal.

Quintin Demps - veteran presence to help our young secondary, can be viewed as a 1 year deal as well.

Cut those three players at the end of this season, and you jump to $61,431,962 in cap space (as opposed to $41,256,296).

Obviously not great return by any measure. You could make a point to give Pace a little bit of slack since he was just rolling the dice on a few players while the core team develops. I would imagine if we were only a stud corner away from a complete foster, he would have made a stronger push for the top FAs available. I think the big name FA comes next year if not the year after. Our best chance is to peak by mitchs 3rd season. 

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Pace firmly wants to build his team through the draft, and IMO he has done that (save for the hack that is Kevin White).

Markus Wheaton - add a speed dimension to this team, technically can be viewed as a 1 year deal.

Quintin Demps - veteran presence to help our young secondary, can be viewed as a 1 year deal as well.

Cut those three players at the end of this season, and you jump to $61,431,962 in cap space (as opposed to $41,256,296).

I dont know if that was the intent though. They went after the major free agents and got outbid. But I think the crappy record had something to do with destinations of the top defensive backs. 

4 hours ago, G08 said:

The problem is that a lot of those evaluations were really bad.

Wasting money is still wasted money. The Bears have not gotten a decent return on investment on a bunch of free agents.

I get that there is limiting factors for the Bears but they need to be better at the pro personnel decisions. Signing injured guys or guys who are no good is throwing money away.

4 hours ago, G08 said:

You could have rolled this years money forward and have 90 million in cap space.

Money wasted in 2017 could be cap space in 2018.

I don't fault the idea or the reasoning, I fault the evaluation and the return on investment.

I am not making any grand statement about Pace.

I am just not that impressed with the pro personnel side of it.

2015-got next to nothing

2016-great return

2017-trending towards weak return

I think with better pro personnel evaluations that better use of the dollars is a real possibility.

I have 1 issue with their free agency process or method,

-they sign too many guys with extensive medical histories.

Part of the reason the Bears have so many injuries to talk about is that a lot of their big name signings are beat up.

My issue is with the evaluations of some of these guys.

2 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

I dont know if that was the intent though. They went after the major free agents and got outbid. But I think the crappy record had something to do with destinations of the top defensive backs. 

Outbid is accurate, but I would just say Pace set his ceiling, the pricing went over it, and he moved on. Nothing wrong with that in my book, honestly.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Outbid is accurate, but I would just say Pace set his ceiling, the pricing went over it, and he moved on. Nothing wrong with that in my book, honestly.

I agree. NO issue with not getting into bidding wars.

But they really needed more early return from this free agent class. I am fine with signing 6 solid free agents as long as 3-4 of them don't suck/injured.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I have 1 issue with their free agency process or method,

-they sign too many guys with extensive medical histories.

Part of the reason the Bears have so many injuries to talk about is that a lot of their big name signings are beat up.

My issue is with the evaluations of some of these guys.

I know early returns havent been good but it's also just 4 games into the season with Glennon being the major culprit.  Although no one expected him to be as bad as he was, at the same time no one was expecting him to be good either.  Chalk it up as a bust.. whatever, as long as Tru works out it's  small price to pay.  We can't believe that Pace actually thought he was a true #1.

As for signing too many guys with medical red flags, that's what happens when you're a bottom dweller for multiple years. You get the lower tiered free agents that come with more question marks.  Sometimes those can be a blessing because those guys have more to prove, but they can also turn out to be total busts.

Also speaking on last FA period you have to think that guys like Gimore just used the Bears to drive the demand up in order to fetch himself  a big contract with a contender like NE who he wanted to sign with.  Bears stuck to their limit and didn't pay any added premium for him. Judging by how hes doing so far it wasn't a bad move by Pace.

17 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The Tribune guys on the Podcast were talking about how massive a trainwreck the Bears opening press conference of free agents were. Hard to disagree. I know free agency is a crap shoot, but this is pretty terrible return on investment.

I don't necessarily disagree - but I do want to say that the Tribune podcast is an awful listen.

One of those jack-offs, when talking about Pace Draft/FA evaluations,  said that he couldn't find more than 4 or 5 players on the roster who he'd want on the 2020 depth chart.  Huh?  I get that the 2015 draft is basically a bust (Kevin White injuries playing a substantial role in that) but both 2016 and 2017 (though still very early) have some really promising players in it:

2015:  Eddie Goldman

2016:  Floyd, Whitehair, Bullard, Kwiatkoski, Howard

2017:  Trubisky, Shaheen, Jackson and Cohen are all going to be in the two-deep going forward.

Not to mention FA signings like Trevathan and Hicks.

And I think its a little early to write off players like Wheaton, Wright, and Sims considering just who was throwing them (or not) through the first 4 games.

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I agree. NO issue with not getting into bidding wars.

But they really needed more early return from this free agent class. I am fine with signing 6 solid free agents as long as 3-4 of them don't suck/injured.

I'm not above throwing $$$ at a legit WR1.

Love Meredith as a WR2

Love Wright as a WR3

Kevin White can go **** himself.

All in all IMO Pace’s batting average has been pretty good. He has the two glaring misses (Glennon and White), and only Glennon amongst those two was a flat out airball (White has been a total disappointment and was never my guy heading into that draft but with better health fortune may not have been). 

Pace has also been initiating and running a rebuild since he got here. Look at almost any full tear down rebuild and you’ll see that they all eventually spend on top talent in FA but only when they are ready to compete for something of consequence. We haven’t been there yet at any juncture in the Pace era. If we were a Stephon Gilmore away from being a legit playoff and maybe title contender Pace may wel have sweetened the pot further. We weren’t, so we can’t know yet, but up until now everything has been geared toward taking a disaster of a team, gutting it, and building it up from the ground floor while also fielding a passable product. That’s a tough balance but he’s done a pretty respectable job with it IMO. Now that he has the QB in place though, THIS is the offseason I really expect to see him make moves. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

All in all IMO Pace’s batting average has been pretty good. He has the two glaring misses (Glennon and White), and only Glennon amongst those two was a flat out airball (White has been a total disappointment and was never my guy heading into that draft but with better health fortune may not have been). 

Pace has also been initiating and running a rebuild since he got here. Look at almost any full tear down rebuild and you’ll see that they all eventually spend on top talent in FA but only when they are ready to compete for something of consequence. We haven’t been there yet at any juncture in the Pace era. If we were a Stephon Gilmore away from being a legit playoff and maybe title contender Pace may wel have sweetened the pot further. We weren’t, so we can’t know yet, but up until now everything has been geared toward taking a disaster of a team, gutting it, and building it up from the ground floor while also fielding a passable product. That’s a tough balance but he’s done a pretty respectable job with it IMO. Now that he has the QB in place though, THIS is the offseason I really expect to see him make moves. 

I agree he has done a solid job.

But his weakness does really seem to be in free agency.

Not saying he needs to sign tier 1 guys, but there are a lot of free agent misses on his resume right now at different price points.

Free agency should be less of an unknown than the draft, but he seems to miss less in the draft.

Archived