Pace and Wasted Free Agency Dollars

WindyCity

Also for Wheaton I would like to see his production. Only getting 1/4 of the season can be a pretty unfair deal. Howard would have looked like a D grade draft his first 4 games, but an A+ the remainder.

Glennon is a crap QB like most of us expected,   but seems more and more like a smokescreen to be able to get Trubisky. If Trubisky turns out to be the answer we have all wanted, then the price was well worth it.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I agree he has done a solid job.

But his weakness does really seem to be in free agency.

Not saying he needs to sign tier 1 guys, but there are a lot of free agent misses on his resume right now at different price points.

Free agency should be less of an unknown than the draft, but he seems to miss less in the draft.

Without any research I’d say he’s probably hitting as much as most GMs in FA. Problem is with a roster with as little depth and top end talent (especially home grown top end talent) as ours those misses are far more glaring. If NE misses with Aaron Dobson or Dominique Easley or PIT misses with Sammie Coates they have the talent elsewhere to lessen the blow. We don’t - at least not yet. Also, Pace is still working against Chicago being a less desirable location to FA than other places because we are still working our way out of the cellar.

Trubisky, if he proves legit, can change all of that all at once. All of a sudden we become a team with an ascending defense and with our QB of the next decade in house in a world class city that offers marquee players a vast array of other opportunities outside of football. 

Can we stop calling Wheaton a FA bust for injuries? The dude's appendix exploded and he had to have it removed, thats CLEARLY not his fault. 2nd, he broke a finger, while catching a ball. any other position besides WR can play with a broken finger, but it's hard when it your job involves needing your fingers.

7 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Can we stop calling Wheaton a FA bust for injuries? The dude's appendix exploded and he had to have it removed, thats CLEARLY not his fault. 2nd, he broke a finger, while catching a ball. any other position besides WR can play with a broken finger, but it's hard when it your job involves needing your fingers.

We CAN, but we're irrational and impatient. So most won't. lol

I don’t have much of an issue with how Pace plays free agency. He basically buys a bunch of lottery tickets and hopes he hits on one. If the player doesn’t pan out, the team isn’t saddled down by the contract.

All I care about is that he drafts players who produce.

Archived