Charles working out at LG (update: he’s starting today)

MikeT14

12 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I believe Charles’ arm length was one of his biggest knocks coming out. Him playing guard is just fine with me. I’m just looking forward to see what he can do. 

Kelvin Beachum has been a starter at LT & now RT almost all of the last decade, he and Charles both have 33 inch arms. You can make up for having guard length arms and still play OT if you’re a good athlete and can move your feet, which Charles is/has.

17 hours ago, lavar703 said:

They had to do something. Martin is god awful and they know it. It sucks too because it looked like a bad pick at the time and that seems to be the case. 

What sucks is we had questions about the Martin when he was selected - but he was selected in a different scheme - and when he played for Scherff last year he seemed to be serviceable but it seems he’s regressed this year from the the last month of last year. It could have something to do with the competition, going against Fletcher Cox, Malik Jackson in week 1, Calias Campbell & Brandon Williams of the Ravens, going against Aaron Donald last week. Those are tall tasks for a guy who’s still a rookie in terms of playing time in the NFL.

I wouldn’t just close the book on Martin long term - same as I wouldn’t on Haskins - just bc he had a rough start to the season when we had this COVID off-season. 

All that being said, I fully support starting Charles and trying him out. We need to see what we have there for sure.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Thats news to me.  I didn't think we were running any blocking scheme :)

I know this is tongue and cheek but if people really think about it, we’re trying to install an entirely new running scheme and passing scheme in a year when we didn’t have a real offseason. It’s why Rivera said he didn’t expect our offense to look smooth until mid way through the 2021 season. We have guys who are learning ZBS for the first time, we have guys are bad fits for the ZBS and may not be back after this season, we have a starting TE who can’t block and that doesn’t even touch our passing game where we only have one good reliable target for our QBs bc S. Sims is hurt - outside of checking down or running screens to our RBs who are all 3 good receivers out of the backfield.

I expected Martin to be better than he has been, but I’m not surprised he’s struggling. I think if Charles or Wes S. were healthy in August that one of them would’ve won the starting LG job but they weren’t so, they went with the only one of the 3 who was healthy and hadn’t missed any practices.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

That is a serious injury.  I am shocked they are saying a few weeks.  

See above where I talked about this to Thai. It’s not that big of an injury, it’s like dislocating a shoulder. As long as you don’t tear any ligaments you can be back soon. I’ve dislocated my knee cap three times, they make a sleeve to put over your knee cap with a hard piece in it that can put around the knee cap in a slot and it helps hold the knee in place so it doesn’t slip out.