Daryl Morey, Rockets Part Ways

Texansfan713

8 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Daryl is without a doubt one of the best GMs of all time. Tough to run up against the best team ever assembled. But obviously gotta give credit that they attempted to compete. 

All their so-called failings that people view as an indictment of Morey only exist because the Warriors were just impossibly good. Like whenever you hear about how the Rockets' obsession with threes and iso ball is a gimmicky air-raid offense that can't win in the playoffs.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

23 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

All their so-called failings that people view as an indictment of Morey only exist because the Warriors were just impossibly good. Like whenever you hear about how the Rockets' obsession with threes and iso ball is a gimmicky air-raid offense that can't win in the playoffs.

Yeah, the crazy thing about their shift this year is he made russ westbrook work. he got forced into that trade by Tillman/Harden wanting Paul out....and when Russ was on the roster, the spacing didn't work with Capela. Pretty ingenious decision to go the full 5 out that not many GMs in the history of the game would be willing/able to make. 

35 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Yeah, the crazy thing about their shift this year is he made russ westbrook work. he got forced into that trade by Tillman/Harden wanting Paul out....and when Russ was on the roster, the spacing didn't work with Capela. Pretty ingenious decision to go the full 5 out that not many GMs in the history of the game would be willing/able to make. 

Definitely, but they are done being legit contenders. Roster is pretty much capped out and a lot of their role players are starting to age. They had their window and gave the Dubs a nice run for their money in 2018. Will have to re-tool a bit but exactly how? Even if they are able to trade Westbrook to NY, not like they will get back the type of talent that will make them better. Good decision by Morey to step down with the writing on the wall with this core. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely, but they are done being legit contenders. Roster is pretty much capped out and a lot of their role players are starting to age. They had their window and gave the Dubs a nice run for their money in 2018. Will have to re-tool a bit but exactly how? Even if they are able to trade Westbrook to NY, not like they will get back the type of talent that will make them better. Good decision by Morey to step down with the writing on the wall with this core. 

no doubt. i mean the chris paul trade was masterful. when harden ended that relationship it was pretty much a wrap. 

• Like 2

I’m a homer, so no need to call me one,  but I’ll never be convinced that last year we wouldn’t have beaten the blazers and raptors to win it all had we gotten by the warriors, and I’ll never be convinced we wouldn’t have beaten the nuggets and heat to win it all this year. For 3 years now, the one team in our path that we couldn’t beat is the team we played. We’ve not gotten the luck of teams like the lakers or warriors where they didn’t have to play their biggest competition. 

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’m a homer, so no need to call me one,  but I’ll never be convinced that last year we wouldn’t have beaten the blazers and raptors to win it all had we gotten by the warriors, and I’ll never be convinced we wouldn’t have beaten the nuggets and heat to win it all this year. For 3 years now, the one team in our path that we couldn’t beat is the team we played. We’ve not gotten the luck of teams like the lakers or warriors where they didn’t have to play their biggest competition. 

Who was the Warriors biggest competition that they didn't have to face? 

And you are still ignoring a big problem. You have a superstar who becomes a non-factor in damn near all these tight 4th quarters. Now in the past no problem with CP3 able to close the show, but not sure you guys beat the Nuggets or Heat this season.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

29 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Who was the Warriors biggest competition that they didn't have to face? 

Only team I can think is the Spurs in 2016 and 2017. However, the Thunder and Spurs were a wash (with hindsight) in 2016 so no big miss there. 2017 they did meet up, but that's when Kawhi got Zaza'd in game 1.

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Only team I can think is the Spurs in 2016 and 2017. However, the Thunder and Spurs were a wash (with hindsight) in 2016 so no big miss there. 2017 they did meet up, but that's when Kawhi got Zaza'd in game 1.

I mean the Thunder proved to be a hellacious match up in 2016 and I don't think they avoided anyone that year. 2017 Kawhi did get hurt, but it's not like they avoided their biggest test. The Cavs and Spurs were the biggest competition that year and they faced both teams...Of course though, Kawhi got hurt so the Spurs were obviously not the same. And then in 2018 the Rockets were the biggest test and they faced them. 

Rockets ran into one of the greatest teams in back to back years so that is some bad luck. But last year KD got hurt in a pivotal game 5 and they blew their chance to go up 3-2 and then lost at home in game 6. That is all on them and simply blowing a big opportunity. I'm not convinced this year they beat the Heat or Nuggets. Those two teams were far more mentally tough and they have stars that show up in 4th quarters. Butler performed like the anti-Harden in the playoffs 4th quarters. Unless the Rockets would be able to overwhelm the Nuggets/Rockets where the 4th quarters wouldn't matter, then I have a hard time seeing the Rockets winning those series. 

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean the Thunder proved to be a hellacious match up in 2016 and I don't think they avoided anyone that year. 2017 Kawhi did get hurt, but it's not like they avoided their biggest test. The Cavs and Spurs were the biggest competition that year and they faced both teams...Of course though, Kawhi got hurt so the Spurs were obviously not the same. And then in 2018 the Rockets were the biggest test and they faced them. 

No doubt about the Thunder in 2016. They went nuts in that series and I don't think the Spurs would have done any better.

2017, even though I think the Warriors would have ended up winning in 5 after that Spurs haymaker in game 1, was sad. Those two teams were juggernauts. And honestly so was that Cavs team. Could have been a 6 game Finals series had a couple questionable calls gone the Cavs' way instead of the Warriors' in game 5. 

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

No doubt about the Thunder in 2016. They went nuts in that series and I don't think the Spurs would have done any better.

2017, even though I think the Warriors would have ended up winning in 5 after that Spurs haymaker in game 1, was sad. Those two teams were juggernauts. And honestly so was that Cavs team. Could have been a 6 game Finals series had a couple questionable calls gone the Cavs' way instead of the Warriors' in game 5. 

The Spurs series was definitely anti-climatic after Kawhi got hurt. We potentially missed out a decent series there.

Cavs could have taken two games, but they blew their shot in game 3. They were up 6 with less than three minutes to go and ended up losing. That's on them. 

Warriors haven’t exactly had the best luck.  For one I don’t really consider having to play the best teams on the road to winning a title to be bad luck.  Your seeding should make it easier but at end of day your probably going to have to beat the best teams to win a title.  

For one not to many teams have the bad luck of having 2 stars go down in a year they were all but guaranteed a championship if healthy.  A lot of teams have to live with the yeah but what if scenarios but there’s little doubt they were going to run away with again if healthy.  You could argue it equals out from the kyrie/love injuries and it’s a wash but I still think gsw win that series without the injuries and Lebron probably doesn’t go off in the same manner.  At best it’s a coin flip.  The 19 warriors was a sure thing.  Heck Steph almost got them to a game 7 without Durant and klay playing injured half the series and out of the lineup the other half.

The K-Y Jelly injury was obvious a disappointment and the hot start has given the fringe lunatics something to stand on thinking they could win but it wasn’t going to happen.  They also had a 1st rd series without Curry before Durant and survived.  That’s bad luck they overcame 

Then you get to the ultimate bad luck, better known as league interference in what’s supposed to be a free and open championship series.  I’m of course referring to the year the lost to the Cavs.  The Green suspension seemed somewhat iffy and was mostly initiated by Lebron but sometimes u reap what you sow and if this suspension stood alone I’d say ok whatever.  However, the manner in which Curry was completely taken out of game 6 was the biggest hose job I’ve sense the refs practically fouled out Boogie in the 1st half hour of an ncaa tourney game agains WV.  Not only did Curry foul out but they came early and often forcing him on the bench most of the game and several of the fouls on replay were clearer him being the one getting fouled.  They blew what I thought was a very fair officiated game 7 but no one will ever convince me it gets to 7 with proper officiating 

The warriors got the rockets one year in the WCF when the clippers were the better team but they did clippers things. 

then they got an injured Spurs team

then they got a hurt CP3

I’m in no way saying that’s why they won  I’m saying the rockets didn’t get any luck avoiding the warriors. 

the lakers got a free pass by avoiding the clippers. That series would have went at least 6 if not 7