WEEK 6 - (1-3) Broncos @ Patriots (2-2)

lomaxgrUK

Keys to the game:

* Avoid turnovers - New England are 2nd in the league with 20% of the drives their Defense faces turning into turnovers by the opposing Offense. They don't have an explosive Offense, so we can't gift field position, especially with our Defense only forcing turnovers on 4% of the drives they face (30th in the league).

* Convert on 3rd down - All the football cliches here, but they are true. NE loves to control the clock so we need to counter that by holding onto the ball ourselves and we need 3rd down execution to do that

* Limit penalties - It's related to the point above; you can't get penalised against NE because they won't beat themselves. NE are the least penalised team in the league by an absolute mile, so we can't be giving them free yardage as we won't be getting it from them

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

I think this is actually a winnable game if the run defense plays at the level I think they’re capable of. if there’s any week to scheme defensively with no fear of WRs and just try to smother guys and use your numbers to win other matchups and jump some routes, it’s against the Pats. Callahan can at least contain Edelman and their outside guys shouldn’t pose too much of a matchup problem even without Bouye. 

Fant being back would be huge for the offense. Doesn’t sound like Hamler will be back so it could be tough to move the ball without a third receiving threat.  We’ll have both Gordon (no legalruling expected until November) and Lindsay so this will be the first time we see Shurmur try to use that dynamic advantageously. Take advantage of their slow LBs. If Fant can’t play, use Albert O‘s speed and try to win on the edges with your RBs.

I expect a good physical football game that is essentially a coin flip in the fourth quarter. We need a little positivity so I’ll take the Broncos with the upset 23-20. 

• Like 1

Truthfully, I’ll be shocked if the NFL manages to finish the season. Valiant effort, but I just don’t think it’s feasible. Especially with a full 16 game schedule. The only reason the NBA was able to pull it off was because of the bubble. 

• Like 2

So Fant & Gordan are out, which certainly doesn’t help our chances. 

Here are a couple things in our favor:

• The Pats' defense is 27th in Sacks per game
  • Our defense is 5th in opposing QB Y/A. With our lack of a pass rush & injuries, I'm astonished by this. We've faced 3 top QB's & have somehow held our own. Fangio deserves a lot of credit in this aspect.
Edited by Joe_is_the_best

On 10/16/2020 at 6:43 PM, 1234567 said:

Truthfully, I’ll be shocked if the NFL manages to finish the season. Valiant effort, but I just don’t think it’s feasible. Especially with a full 16 game schedule. The only reason the NBA was able to pull it off was because of the bubble. 

I was in this camp before the season, but I think the NFL completes it on time or by adding a week to the end of the season.

The stats are starting to show that playing a football game doesn’t spread the virus from team to team.  It’s running it’s course within teams and not spreading to others. The NFL is starting to figure this out as well.  Denver’s game last week should’ve never been cancelled.....and IMO only was so that NE could get their best offensive player and best defensive player back on the field.  Other franchises won’t be given that opportunity.

But I think they get through the year just quarantining the positives and making teams adapt.  

On 10/16/2020 at 5:50 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

We might not be having a game now... 

Although I'm sure Kraft/Belichick will work out something with the league for their benefit. 😠

The pats were forced to play their game with the KC with what now turns out to be COVID+ people in the planes, they weren't given a bigger changing room despite asking for one, and this practice cancellation you cite was cancelled by BB and the staff to be on the safe side (after more + tests) so that we can get this game played. Youy've got that totally wrong, it's the NFL screwing us (and potentially you again) whereas BB and Kraft are doing all they can to play the game safely. 

Anyway, GG and lets hope for no injuries or + tests after...