Dexter: New Blood - Ep 1

INbengalfan

5 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

It kinda did though. How else does it 'end'? He isn't rehabilitating, so in order for his story to end it has to be death or jail. 

Let him still be out there slaying bad guys. The story can end on-screen, but it doesn’t need to die off-screen. In my opinion. They could have gone in several other interesting directions after a great season.

As soon as he killed Logan, I was like, “ok this is just gonna be a mess of an ending.” That’s not Dexter. It felt like they were like, “damn, we have 10 minutes to wrap everything up. Wtf do we do?” 

24 minutes ago, ViolenceIsYourFriend said:

Let him still be out there slaying bad guys. The story can end on-screen, but it doesn’t need to die off-screen. In my opinion. They could have gone in several other interesting directions after a great season.

As soon as he killed Logan, I was like, “ok this is just gonna be a mess of an ending.” That’s not Dexter. It felt like they were like, “damn, we have 10 minutes to wrap everything up. Wtf do we do?” 

They could never end it with him still out there doing his thing. Stories need endings, and a series as great as this couldn't just left hanging.

And for the Logan thing, it really has been Dexter all along. People try to make his code ethical but it has always been survival for him. The most important rule has always been to never get caught and the reason for targeting bad guys (while Harry also created it for a sort of justice) was that no one cares about searching for bad people. Also, Dexter has never put anyone else before himself. Maybe there were a few instances (like when he told Deb to shoot him instead of Laguerta), but he truly never as committed to it. That's why everyone in his life ended up dying. In his final moments he finally put Harrison's best interests before his own and that is such a perfect way to end his story. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished bingeing this. Overall, it was far better than I thought it'd be.

I wasn't a fan of Harrison turning against Dexter at the end though. It didn't really make sense considering what all has happened. Plus it was way too predictable for an end. Also, there is zero reason that Harrison should get away with shooting Dexter. He was unarmed and a long distance away. No chance that'd be self defense. And then the chief didn't handcuff him and instead gives him money and tells him to run?! gtfo. So the chief is ok with murdering Dexter, just not Dexter who only kills rapists/murderers/etc.

Really disliked the ending. I'm gonna have to think about this and rather or not I'd prefer the lumberjack ending.

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Finally finished bingeing this. Overall, it was far better than I thought it'd be.

I wasn't a fan of Harrison turning against Dexter at the end though. It didn't really make sense considering what all has happened. Plus it was way too predictable for an end. Also, there is zero reason that Harrison should get away with shooting Dexter. He was unarmed and a long distance away. No chance that'd be self defense. And then the chief didn't handcuff him and instead gives him money and tells him to run?! gtfo. So the chief is ok with murdering Dexter, just not Dexter who only kills rapists/murderers/etc.

Really disliked the ending. I'm gonna have to think about this and rather or not I'd prefer the lumberjack ending.

I really loved the way Dexter's story ended but the bolded was the one part that I thought they missed on. She was enabling Harrison to get away with murder because it was a bad person, but held it against Dexter for the same reason. Now, at the end Dexter's dark passenger got the best of him and after killing Logan, he wasn't just killing bad people anymore, but it should've just ended with Harrison skipping town on his own. 

34 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I really loved the way Dexter's story ended but the bolded was the one part that I thought they missed on. She was enabling Harrison to get away with murder because it was a bad person, but held it against Dexter for the same reason. Now, at the end Dexter's dark passenger got the best of him and after killing Logan, he wasn't just killing bad people anymore, but it should've just ended with Harrison skipping town on his own. 

Dexter's death is too obvious of an ending. I was really hoping we'd get him face to face with Batista who would bring him to justice in Miami. That would have given it an ending where Dexter is behind bars forever and also leave it open for another season where he could become a serial killer consultant as someone else mentioned.

If they do another season with Harrison I can't imagine it having success.

11 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Dexter's death is too obvious of an ending. I was really hoping we'd get him face to face with Batista who would bring him to justice in Miami. That would have given it an ending where Dexter is behind bars forever and also leave it open for another season where he could become a serial killer consultant as someone else mentioned.

If they do another season with Harrison I can't imagine it having success.

Sometimes the obvious ending is the best one. It was poetic the way he went out, and I'd rather it fit the story than be a twist just for shock value. Although I agree that a confrontation with Batista would've been awesome. I didn't want an open ending though. Dexter was always going to be caught or dead in the end and I think we all knew he wouldn't allow himself to be caught. The funny thing is there are a lot of similarities between Dexter's demise and Walter White's, yet everyone seemed to love the Breaking Bad ending. 

If they give Harrison a spinoff, it would have to be with the same showrunners of S1-4 and New Blood, and Dexter would have to be his Harry. Anything else and I hope they just scrap it so that the story ends as it did.