Jump to content
Ray Reed

Which receiver should be acquired to help the offense improve?

Recommended Posts

Trade a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Julio Jones.

Don't know how you make that work cap-wise but figure it out!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Trade a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Julio Jones.

Don't know how you make that work cap-wise but figure it out!

Trading a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a guy who is possibly past his prime and oft-injured? No thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Trade a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Julio Jones.

Don't know how you make that work cap-wise but figure it out!

Like where the head is at but hard to make that deal when he's been dealing with that hammy issue all year. 

Have to imagine EDC is looking hard at the WR trade market right now - don't think there's another Marcus Peters trade out there for us but surely there's a move to be made with a lot of teams already looking towards 2021. 

Marvin Jones could be a good option. Also wonder if the Jets could be tempted to part with Jamison Crowder... 

 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Trading a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a guy who is possibly past his prime and oft-injured? No thanks.

?

He's played 16/16/15 games the past 3 seasons lol. He's missed more than 2 games twice in his career - 2011 and 2013.

He has a hammy this year, yeah, but he's not "oft-injured" - at least to the extent where he's missing games or it's affecting his production.

And he's 31. That's still 3-4 good years ahead of him if recent WR history is any indication.

It's a fantasy scenario in all likelihood, sure, but I think you'd be absolutely insane not to do that deal with the roster we have right now. We have a team full of the good role players/complementary pieces the 2nd/3rd round of the draft usually provides. To get a bonafide stud for this team at WR rn would be a no-brainer imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'd rather look into acquiring Mack for something like a 5th. He'll anchor the line for like 2-3 years and would do more for this teams SB aspirations than another WR to share the 25 passes per game with imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

i'd rather look into acquiring Mack for something like a 5th. He'll anchor the line for like 2-3 years and would do more for this teams SB aspirations than another WR to share the 25 passes per game with imo.

 Alex Mack? O-Line help would certainly be great but I disagree that WR isn't the biggest need. 

We're not gonna win a title throwing it 25 times a game. Even that sorry Bengals D was clowning us over how predictable our passing game is, we need real help there. Outside of Duvernay taking a huge leap this passing game is going to be stuck in the mud all year absent any additions, and that'll come back to haunt us in January. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex Mack, the OC?

Unless there is a Marcus Peters like trade out there, I would prefer us playing it cool. We should have Lamar for many years, our window is not confined to the next 2-3 years. We will need the draft picks once Lamar gets his contract. We also want to "save" the cap dollars for the guys we need to sign. Bowser might be coming up, Stanley after next season, Orlando Brown maybe, the Lamar and Andrews and then Marquise Brown.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

 Alex Mack? O-Line help would certainly be great but I disagree that WR isn't the biggest need. 

We're not gonna win a title throwing it 25 times a game. Even that sorry Bengals D was clowning us over how predictable our passing game is, we need real help there. Outside of Duvernay taking a huge leap this passing game is going to be stuck in the mud all year absent any additions, and that'll come back to haunt us in January. 

I'm afraid even if we land a nice WR, Roman won't know how to incorporate him. It might be more a scheme issue than personnel. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

?

He's played 16/16/15 games the past 3 seasons lol. He's missed more than 2 games twice in his career - 2011 and 2013.

He has a hammy this year, yeah, but he's not "oft-injured" - at least to the extent where he's missing games or it's affecting his production.

And he's 31. That's still 3-4 good years ahead of him if recent WR history is any indication.

It's a fantasy scenario in all likelihood, sure, but I think you'd be absolutely insane not to do that deal with the roster we have right now. We have a team full of the good role players/complementary pieces the 2nd/3rd round of the draft usually provides. To get a bonafide stud for this team at WR rn would be a no-brainer imo

Julio Jones has played 16 games 4 times in his entire career.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneJu02.htm

And he's basically played through injuries his entire career as well. I'm just on board with shipping those picks for a guy who is on the wrong side of 30 with extensive injury history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

i'd rather look into acquiring Mack for something like a 5th. He'll anchor the line for like 2-3 years and would do more for this teams SB aspirations than another WR to share the 25 passes per game with imo.

If the Ravens could get Alex Mack for a 5th, EDC is Executive of the century.

I'm in the camp at going for Julio, but not at an extreme cost. If they gonna take a 3rd, I'm down. Outside of that, nah. I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather kick them AB tires. The thought of Hollywood, AB and Duv on the field at the same time just seems...  right. Week 8 only around the corner! I couldn't imagine him costing much because of his issues and it being halfway through the season. I'm sure he'd have a clause in his contract where if he goes Earl Thomas on the team, he'll be cut without ramifications, I'm sure. Sounds like the road to the AFC championship game to me! 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Julio Jones trade doesn't make sense on a few fronts. Financially being the biggest. We're not bringing the length of a contract or size in when we have some other big contracts coming up. Too many question marks are attached to Julio right now, I'd have to pass. 

Someone brought up Marvin Jones and that's a decent name. This might sound a bit crazy but is Julian Edelman available at the right price? It's a stretch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Julio Jones has played 16 games 4 times in his entire career.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneJu02.htm

And he's basically played through injuries his entire career as well. I'm just on board with shipping those picks for a guy who is on the wrong side of 30 with extensive injury history.

Again, you’re using incredible hyperbole in saying “extensive injury history”.

Saying “he’s only played 16 games 4 times in his career” is insanely disingenuous once you realize the season by season breakdown is: 

13

16

5

15

16

14

16

16

15

You can not want Julio, that’s fine, and a perfectly reasonable take, but stop trying to warp and phrase the data to act like he’s got this long extensive injury history just to justify your initial (incorrect) assessment of his injury history.

He doesnt. Outside of his 3rd season in the league he’s played less than 15 games once and he’s missed 4 games the last 6 seasons lol - that’s on par with or better than most high-volume #1 WRs in the league dude

 

Edited by Ray Reed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Injury history can go beyond missing games, too. The dude's injury history is extensive, and he's on the wrong side of 30. 

If you can pull him for a 3rd or 4th, be my guest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Julio note, I’m weary because of his injury history as well. Agree with @AFlaccoSeagulls on that front. Atlanta has done a lot of sports science type stuff with his rest days since he was a younger receiver to try and keep him fresh.

That said I would also be willing to offer something similar to @Ray Reed with his “dream” package. Not quite that much though. That’s too hefty for a guy Julio’s age, at his price, and dealing with hamstring issues. I fear he’s no longer that top 5 WR in the NFL and more likely will be for the next two seasons simply a top 20-25 type WR before falling off further.

I’d be willing to part with two 3rd’s for him, if not a 2nd and a 6th. It’s not as though our 2nd round selections have been all that great historically. I’d take a gamble there for what Julio COULD provide our offense. He’s a veteran that will be all in on chasing a ring and he’s been to the Super Bowl before. That kind of experience is worth value in and of itself. Lastly if anyone could help turn Boykin into something respectable, having Julio on the roster to help mentor and emulate would be about as great an asset as you could have.

Lastly, Julio’s salary is only $11m this season. If we trade for him we’re not responsible for the dead cap he would incur to Atlanta due to the option and signing bonuses they gave him. So we have the money to fit him under the 2020 cap. In 2021 without Judon stealing $17m we would likely have enough for Julio’s $15m salary while still being able to hold onto most of our most valuable players.

Trading a 2nd round pick isn’t somehow mortgaging the future. Would it be less than ideal to give up? Absolutely. But this isn’t giving up two 1sts for a player. We’ve made similar deals in the past with Willis McGahee and Anquan Boldin, both with varying degrees of success. We have enough talent on this team to endure the loss of a 2nd round pick. We don’t have enough talent at the WR position to afford passing up on Julio if he can be had for a “reasonable” deal. Defenses are starting to seriously bracket Brown and Andrews. With Julio in tow, even if he’s just a top 20-25 WR moving forward, it would prevent defenses from putting the clamps down on all of our weapons and make our offense go back to being the unstoppable unit it looked like last season. 

This all assumes that my interpretation of Julio’s contract situation is accurate. But it looks like most of that money has already been paid to him by Atlanta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...