Which receiver should be acquired to help the offense improve?

Ray Reed

7 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

If the Ravens could get Alex Mack for a 5th, EDC is Executive of the century.

I'm in the camp at going for Julio, but not at an extreme cost. If they gonna take a 3rd, I'm down. Outside of that, nah. I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather kick them AB tires. The thought of Hollywood, AB and Duv on the field at the same time just seems...  right. Week 8 only around the corner! I couldn't imagine him costing much because of his issues and it being halfway through the season. I'm sure he'd have a clause in his contract where if he goes Earl Thomas on the team, he'll be cut without ramifications, I'm sure. Sounds like the road to the AFC championship game to me! 😆

I’m not against AB, but I also don’t trust AB very much. In a Covid-19 type of season, do we really anticipate him being a professional and understanding the protocols in place are for the good of everyone? Do we trust him not to go to a strip club or walk around without a mask for 9 weeks plus the playoffs?

I don’t. And since I don’t feel I can trust him to do such things I’d rather wait until next season when things should be a little more lax before entertaining AB as an option.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I'm afraid even if we land a nice WR, Roman won't know how to incorporate him. It might be more a scheme issue than personnel. 

That's my fear. Baltimore's passing game woes (when they have/want to rely mostly on it) aren't stemming from just poor execution. The routes and route combinations suck. I don't think there's a nicer way to say it. This isn't a well-orchestrated aerial attack. For it to work the Ravens would need like three Hollywood Brown-type players out there just torching defenses with speed and opening things up based on pure presence. Which would be cool but fairly unlikely. Getting Duvernay more involved might be a start although I'm not sure he's that type of weapon.

Jackson needs to be better. He's missed a lot of opportunities... but there's more to blame on the amount and quality of opportunities he's given. I would be pretty stunned if things turn around just by him hitting a few more throws. For that to work Lamar would have to be nearly perfect and that's not a reasonable expectation. Nor is expecting Roman to actually be able to start scheming a real passing game... so lets really hope the team can win with the running game first and foremost. Then sticking to it even if they get down by a score or two. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m not against AB, but I also don’t trust AB very much. In a Covid-19 type of season, do we really anticipate him being a professional and understanding the protocols in place are for the good of everyone? Do we trust him not to go to a strip club or walk around without a mask for 9 weeks plus the playoffs?

I don’t. And since I don’t feel I can trust him to do such things I’d rather wait until next season when things should be a little more lax before entertaining AB as an option.

That's a chance I'm willing to take. Especially since his value is at an all-time low. At best, he's a WR Goat he's meant to be. At worst, he's cut and all we spent was a bag of peanuts. The reward, in my opinion, completely outweighs the risk.

3 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

That's a chance I'm willing to take. Especially since his value is at an all-time low. At best, he's a WR Goat he's meant to be. At worst, he's cut and all we spent was a bag of peanuts. The reward, in my opinion, completely outweighs the risk.

We don't know if he wants to accept peanuts. There is a reason teams don't want headaches around, even as good a player as Michael Thomas is, the Saints chose to suspend him after he hit a 2 year player.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

We don't know if he wants to accept peanuts. There is a reason teams don't want headaches around, even as good a player as Michael Thomas is, the Saints chose to suspend him after he hit a 2 year player.

I couldn't see why he would think he's get much more than peanuts considering he isn't available until the second half of the year and coming off character concerns. He might not get the vet minimum, but he isn't getting no 10 million dollar deal for half the season either. And yeah, the Saints suspended Thomas, but they didn't cut 'em if he was that much of a headache. Ravens got a pass with our Thomas since people thought he was in a decline anyway. These teams are willing to put up with players long as they continue to produce. In my opinion, Michael Thomas' suspension was a spanking. Nothing more nor less.

AB isn't even on the Ravens radar. If anyone thinks otherwise, they're lying to themselves. The guy is still under suspension and could be facing more. There's video evidence of completely verbally abusing his ex in front of his children, while cops watched. Not even including that he's been accused of rape and sexual misconduct. 

I'd have to question any "fan" who'd even want a guy like this on our team. Letting AB get that close to his cousin Hollywood in a professional setting is a completely other issue in itself. AB to Baltimore makes ZERO sense. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel

Get it done EDC. Crowder's exactly the sort of receiver Lamar desperately needs - he doesn't really need a gamebreaker, with Hollywood and Andrews both being weapons further down the field as well as Duvernay potentially getting worked in more as a guy to take the top off the defense. Crowder's the sort of reliable wideout we lack who knows how to get open and be a chain mover in the shorter/intermediate game. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

28 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Get it done EDC. Crowder's exactly the sort of receiver Lamar desperately needs - he doesn't really need a gamebreaker, with Hollywood and Andrews both being weapons further down the field as well as Duvernay potentially getting worked in more as a guy to take the top off the defense. Crowder's the sort of reliable wideout we lack who knows how to get open and be a chain mover in the shorter/intermediate game. 

Yup ^^^^^ THIS

He should be a Raven unless the price is ridiculous, which is shouldn't be. 

13 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

That's my fear. Baltimore's passing game woes (when they have/want to rely mostly on it) aren't stemming from just poor execution. The routes and route combinations suck. I don't think there's a nicer way to say it. This isn't a well-orchestrated aerial attack. For it to work the Ravens would need like three Hollywood Brown-type players out there just torching defenses with speed and opening things up based on pure presence. Which would be cool but fairly unlikely. Getting Duvernay more involved might be a start although I'm not sure he's that type of weapon.

Jackson needs to be better. He's missed a lot of opportunities... but there's more to blame on the amount and quality of opportunities he's given. I would be pretty stunned if things turn around just by him hitting a few more throws. For that to work Lamar would have to be nearly perfect and that's not a reasonable expectation. Nor is expecting Roman to actually be able to start scheming a real passing game... so lets really hope the team can win with the running game first and foremost. Then sticking to it even if they get down by a score or two. 

Agreed on all points.

This is why I wouldn’t be against us trading for a guy like Julio and possibly overpaying a little.

I find our situation at WR to be very similar to our situation at IDL prior to trading for Calais Campbell. Just adding solid players aren’t particularly going to help the situation. We need WRs on that top 30-35 type level IMO. Guys that can win 1v1 that can produce beyond the passing scheme.

Julio I feel either declines sharply like Larry Fitzgerald did all of a sudden in 2018 (considering his game has always been more reliant upon his athleticism, unlike Fitzgerald) OR he could continue to thrive into his age 34 season as Fitz did and we would have a trade well achieved. It’s probably our best bet in improving our team... only problem is Atlanta getting rid of Dimitroff likely means they won’t ship resources before they find a replacement. Said GM, even if hired immediately, is highly unlikely to trade away a franchise WR within their first week on the job. Even if they were the relationship with DeCosta might not be there to allow for such a deal to go down. Making this option likely more of a pipe dream atm. Something however that might be revisited after this season ends.

Allen Robinson would be a great fit, but he’s looking to get paid paid. I wonder if the Cowboys might be willing to trade Michael Gallup for a 2nd round pick if they drop another game or two. Probably not.

At this stage the likeliest solution to our issue is just feeding Duvernay as much as we can and hope he can be a special option.

35 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

It’s almost unbelievable that he’s only 27. Feels like he’s been in the league for like a decade now.

edit: But yeah, I didn’t think a team with a young QB would be willing to shop his weapons, but this might be our best bet for improving the WR position, considering my above post.

Would love it if we could trade for the Keenan Allen’s or Julio’s of the world, but alas that seems very unlikely.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'd be fully on board with Jamison Crowder, but honestly he feels like another Willie Snead JAG type to me. 

I’ll be honest. I wondered the same thing. I honestly haven’t watched enough of Crowder to really know just how good he is. I was at the Jets game last year and just remembered hearing Crowder’s name a lot, he was killing us, feel like Humphrey gave up a few plays to him in coverage too.

So all in all I do fear JAG status, particularly in our system, but at the same time the potential is there that he could be more of a Robert Woods or Jarvis Landry... at least that would be the hope if trading for him.

I’d seriously consider trading Gus for Crowder straight up, but I’m sure the Jets are doing this to tank away games for Lawrence... and the last thing you want is Gus Edwards having a couple dominant games that lead to some wins.

• Like 1

Yea I bet they would take a mid round pick for him, that being said, he’s owed 8.5 and 10 mil for this year and next, not sure what our cap is like be in not sure he’s fit with so many of our young core coming up for extensions. 
honestly at this point I’d like to see less Boykin and more duvarney and Snead. Those two have shown at least the ability to make plays when we ask them to.

i also think we’re seeing a difference in our play action with the lost of hurst, last year I feel like a lot of our short routes were run by a tight end in our bootlegs last year, now it seems more like Ricard which is a downgrade in athleticism. Any veteran TE’s out there worth trading for?

4 minutes ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

Yea I bet they would take a mid round pick for him, that being said, he’s owed 8.5 and 10 mil for this year and next, not sure what our cap is like be in not sure he’s fit with so many of our young core coming up for extensions. 
honestly at this point I’d like to see less Boykin and more duvarney and Snead. Those two have shown at least the ability to make plays when we ask them to.

i also think we’re seeing a difference in our play action with the lost of hurst, last year I feel like a lot of our short routes were run by a tight end in our bootlegs last year, now it seems more like Ricard which is a downgrade in athleticism. Any veteran TE’s out there worth trading for?

If there is one, chances are they've previously played for the Ravens lol we have so many Tight Ends scattered throughout the NFL right now.

7 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

AB isn't even on the Ravens radar. If anyone thinks otherwise, they're lying to themselves. The guy is still under suspension and could be facing more. There's video evidence of completely verbally abusing his ex in front of his children, while cops watched. Not even including that he's been accused of rape and sexual misconduct. 

I'd have to question any "fan" who'd even want a guy like this on our team. Letting AB get that close to his cousin Hollywood in a professional setting is a completely other issue in itself. AB to Baltimore makes ZERO sense. 

I don't think he's on the Ravens radar either, but that doesn't discount the fact that he's a playmaker on the field and would help this team tremendously. And I don't see what there is to question, until the meltdown with Big Ben in 2018, up until that point Brown was for the most part a model citizen in Pittsburgh. Yeah, he went nuts in 2019 but but seem to be laying low here in 2020 far as I know. Let's not act like he's the first person to verbally abuse his ex/wife in front of their children. Suggs had an episode with his children's mother, didn't hear a peep about his situation and business went on as usual. Or bringing in Dez Bryant who hit his mother. Didn't hear no one oppose him coming the first time. But far as the rape charges, if they are true, I hope he goes under the jail. If not, bring that man to Baltimore IF he's reinstated week 8. Which all this is hinged upon. But for other solutions, I wouldn't mind making a play at Julio or Gallup as others have suggested. This should be an interesting trade deadline for our Ravens for sure.