Which receiver should be acquired to help the offense improve?

Ray Reed

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Does anyone really feel like a talented 3rd TE (who's actually acquirable Kittle Kelce) is the difference between the current 2020 unit and reaching 2019's dominance once more?.... Cause I don't see it.

Nah, a TE definitely isn't the difference. Especially with Roman at the helm. 😆

Does anyone really feel like a talented 3rd TE (who's actually acquirable Kittle Kelce) is the difference between the current 2020 unit and reaching 2019's dominance once more?.... Cause I don't see it.

Not really. I don't think having the trifecta last season really allowed the offense to do anything special with them, there was just more shared snaps. Which is nice but I'm not seeing fatigue as a big issue thus far. Now the depth thing in case of injury is concerning but at the same time I'd hate to see resources wasted in case that doesn't happen. 

Even if it were a viable way to retake the rushing crown, I don’t think that’s the best way for us to win come playoff time. We’ll need to activate a legit 3rd receiver option behind Hollywood and Andrews. Especially in the event that Andrews is having one of his bad games.

We can beat most any team in the league with two impact receivers, but not with only one. Not without the defense all graduating from Ball So Hard University. We really need as many reps for Duvernay as possible. He needs to be in that 50% snap territory.

Then we also have to hope that his terrible 17th percentile (22 years old) collegiate breakout age doesn’t indicate a slower progression as it’s seemingly displaying for Miles Boykin and his nearly as abysmal 19th percentile (21.9 years old) breakout age.

I have little hope for this receiving core figuring out a legit 3rd, but hopefully someone proves me wrong.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Then we also have to hope that his terrible 17th percentile (22 years old) collegiate breakout age doesn’t indicate a slower progression as it’s seemingly displaying for Miles Boykin and his nearly as abysmal 19th percentile (21.9 years old) breakout age.

Less worried about Duvernay in this regard because of his very natural/obvious placement within our system/offense. Similar to Deebo Samuel who didn't have a strong BOA either. Slants, Screens, schemed touches. 

• Like 1

Finally rewatched the game against the WFT, and I'm all but certain Lamar suffered his knee sprain on a sack on the first drive of the second half. He actually finished that drive off well with a TD to Andrews, but you could see him not planting his leg firmly from the last few throws of that drive. He also walked off instead of doing his normal sprint to the end zone to celebrate. It was mild enough to play through but it might have swollen up during the week leading up to the Bengals game. I'll have to rewatch the Bengals game closer to see how he treated it. But I'd probably expect another lighter/less aggressive rushing load against the Eagles to hit the bye and some extra rest.

• Like 1

I think they said it happened on the second to last snap, where he was sacked.

If it was really an issue, I would seriously doubt they drop him back to pass that much.

I have a few youtube vids where people talk about the lack of production down field to receivers.

Watching it all, it is just a combination of everything not clicking. Lamar being just a few inches off, Lamar not seeing a guy running open because he keyed in on a read, oline just not holding their block a half of a second longer, receivers drops or not adjusting well.

18 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’ll be honest. I wondered the same thing. I honestly haven’t watched enough of Crowder to really know just how good he is. I was at the Jets game last year and just remembered hearing Crowder’s name a lot, he was killing us, feel like Humphrey gave up a few plays to him in coverage too.

So all in all I do fear JAG status, particularly in our system, but at the same time the potential is there that he could be more of a Robert Woods or Jarvis Landry... at least that would be the hope if trading for him.

I’d seriously consider trading Gus for Crowder straight up, but I’m sure the Jets are doing this to tank away games for Lawrence... and the last thing you want is Gus Edwards having a couple dominant games that lead to some wins.

Trading Gus for Crowder would surrender a ton of value. No way I could be in favor of that swap. 

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

Trading Gus for Crowder would surrender a ton of value. No way I could be in favor of that swap. 

Depends on how someone evaluates Crowder. Like I said I haven’t watched enough of him. Nor do I know what his value is. But if I knew Crowder was another Landry/Woods, then I’d have to think he’s worth a 3rd+4th round pick (Boldin package).

I’d think Gus is worth something similar. He’s a RB that’s been great, but a RB nonetheless. The fact that he’s only being paid pennies with another year of RFA should increase his value to another team.

But if Crowder is another Landry/Woods, that’s worth, what, a 3rd+4th to acquire him? Considering this draft will be heavily impacted by COVID-19 in terms of less evaluation, that might present less sting from trading away picks, perhaps. But if that’s not the thinking in the Ravens building, I also think of some of our 3rd and 4th round picks the last few years and would I be willing to give up two chances at 4 years of cost controlled value for Crowder vs simply 1.5 years left for Gus? Especially when factoring in that the RB position has more than enough talent to make up the difference from losing Gus. I mean JKD has been just as good as Gus and sees 3rd string carries... and who knows how much Justice Hill has improved since last season... as we literally haven’t seen him yet. Ingram could become our closer at that point.

But again, this all is dependent upon Crowder’s evaluation. If he’s just another Willie Snead type that excels in specific schemes and in specific roles that pass happy teams spam for maximum value then I don’t want to trade for him. But if he’s a legit weapon that can win 1v1 in the slot and on the boundary as a Robert Woods/Jarvis Landry/Anquan Boldin type... then I’d want him and would be willing to give up a 3rd+4th for him... but would be just as willing to part with Gus Edwards, who I feel is at his max value to the team (with Rosenhouse as his agent, he could ask for a trade come the end of this season anyway), would allow us to not have to give up future team building resources, and at a position where we can most afford to eat the loss without significant opportunity cost. I like Gus, but I’d be 50/50 on which option presents the best path moving forward.

Edit: So if the Jets see Gus as the ability to find a legit RB that they would be worth extending, I’d see it as a win-win for Gus. He’d miss out on the opportunity for a ring, which would suck, because I love the way he plays and his mentality for this team... but if he plays well enough, he’s got an opportunity to make 7 figures off a quality extension. He’s also from that area and might revel in the idea of producing well for his hometown team.

Edited by diamondbull424

18 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I don't think he's on the Ravens radar either, but that doesn't discount the fact that he's a playmaker on the field and would help this team tremendously. And I don't see what there is to question, until the meltdown with Big Ben in 2018, up until that point Brown was for the most part a model citizen in Pittsburgh. Yeah, he went nuts in 2019 but but seem to be laying low here in 2020 far as I know. Let's not act like he's the first person to verbally abuse his ex/wife in front of their children. Suggs had an episode with his children's mother, didn't hear a peep about his situation and business went on as usual. Or bringing in Dez Bryant who hit his mother. Didn't hear no one oppose him coming the first time. But far as the rape charges, if they are true, I hope he goes under the jail. If not, bring that man to Baltimore IF he's reinstated week 8. Which all this is hinged upon. But for other solutions, I wouldn't mind making a play at Julio or Gallup as others have suggested. This should be an interesting trade deadline for our Ravens for sure. 

Sounds like you're defending actions of a guy who could benefit our team? I've long thought Suggs was a piece of trash for what he did. Let's actually say what happened instead of tiptoeing around it. He allegedly knocked his fiancé down and poured bleach all over her. That's inexcusable. 

Onto Antonio Brown. He wasn't a "Model citizen" until 2019. In 2017 he recorded a post game celebration where his coach had choice words for the Patriots and was fined. Made worse by the fact that it was learned that Facebook had paid him 244k to create content for them. 2018 he had a physical confrontation with his own QB and threw a football at him. Used social media to shade his team and angle for a trade. Add on all the incidences of 2019 and the stories of his mistreatment of a good amount of people he came in contact with. 

I don't see why Dallas would want to give up Gallup but I'd be all for it. Julio to me seems like a high risk low reward situation. I'm really not sure if his okay has deteriorated or he just needs a change of scenary. Also an expensive guy to have. I'd gladly take both guys, or a guy like Marvin Jones. 

45 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I don't see why Dallas would want to give up Gallup but I'd be all for it. Julio to me seems like a high risk low reward situation. I'm really not sure if his okay has deteriorated or he just needs a change of scenary. Also an expensive guy to have. I'd gladly take both guys, or a guy like Marvin Jones. 

Yeah, it’s a definite reach. Just figured with Lamb in tow and Gallup likely wanting to get paid in another year and with their team in the bucket, we might be able to get them to listen to an offer... I’m sure they would reject it post haste though. He just seems like a WR that I feel confident would benefit this team. He’s a difference maker that can’t be contained 1v1. Our scheme doesn’t do WRs any favors by scheming them open. I don’t know all the guys in the league who present that type of profile, but Gallup is definitely someone I’m most familiar with and he’s definitely one of them. He’s also arguably the best WR of that 2018 class.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/michael-gallup-dallas-cowboys-courtland-sutton-amari-cooper-2018-nfl-draft-wide-receiver

Dallas I’m sure would want to hold onto him for one more season with the full force of their stacked WR room, I’m sure. But I’ll be quite honest, I really like Gallup and think he would be the missing piece to what this offense needs. He’s IMO at worst Derrick Mason 2.0 but younger than we got him. I would give up a 2nd + 3rd in order to obtain such a piece on this squad. He’s got near elite YPT numbers and is about to enter into his prime seasons. He’s someone I would also offer a deal to when the time comes.

Obviously someone within our “core” would likely not be resigned with Gallup’s addition, be it Stanley or Brown Jr or someone on the defense. But I think it would put us over the top this season and the next couple seasons to maximize Lamar on the cheapest portion of his value and give us the kind of personnel that I would have no doubts could usher a comeback if down by a couple scores come playoff time.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Depends on how someone evaluates Crowder. Like I said I haven’t watched enough of him. Nor do I know what his value is. But if I knew Crowder was another Landry/Woods, then I’d have to think he’s worth a 3rd+4th round pick (Boldin package).

I’d think Gus is worth something similar. He’s a RB that’s been great, but a RB nonetheless. The fact that he’s only being paid pennies with another year of RFA should increase his value to another team.

And this is why I wouldn't be happy with us getting rid of Gus simply for the right to pay Crowder a market contract. We're paying Gus nothing this year (all dollar saved will roll into next year, in which the cap may be flat or down a bit) AND we have the option to retain him cheaply for next year or deal him. I also don't know how we would know Crowder was another Landry/Woods, that's a fairly big assumption for a guy who is in his sixth season in the NFL. His career catch rate and Y/target are both below that of Willie Snead, for example.

As an extension of my earlier post on Gallup, I should also note, while it would suck to lose an OL like Stanley or Brown Jr (now that he’s no longer a turnstile), I feel the front office has proven itself far better at locating impact OL than they have proven to be able to draft and develop capable WRs. Hollywood Brown is, outside of Torrey Smith, the only WR of note that we’ve drafted... and he’s got a HOF cousin that he trains with in the offseason. Forgive me if I’m very wary of our organizations ability to draft a WR to elevate the offense.

I haven’t given up on Duvernay, but he moreso feels like a supercharged version of Willie Snead to operate and excel from out of the slot. He’s going to largely attack the defense from the same area as Andrews, similar to what Hayden Hurst and Snead provided us last season. But maybe a combination of what both guys gave us. The speed to toast the seam (Hurst on LBs = Duvernay on NCB/S) as well as the hands, shiftiness, and toughness of Snead.

I think we need another WR that can open up defenses from packing the middle to best stop Andrews production. Where we could go 2 WR 2 TE 1 RB personnel and still have considerable amounts of pressure placed on the defense off play action pass with both Hollywood and Gallup as two of the best deep threats in the game. I would also hope that Gallup’s deep speed is a better fit for Jackson’s timing.

Sort of how Flacco was better (read: more consistent with his placement) throwing deep balls to Derrick Mason than he ever was for Torrey Smith, even though Smith was the faster player.