Which receiver should be acquired to help the offense improve?

Ray Reed

2 hours ago, 43M said:

That was more along the lines of what I expected to read in regards to why Ravens fans wouldn't want him.   However, given his fallout with us (he would be motivated against us) and his relationship with Marquise, I figured there would be some that were open to it.

As DB said, there are some who encourage the move. This team has some pride in being a great lockerroom, and the one diva experiment failed bad with Earl Thomas.

Would/should we take the chance with AB? He does seem to be able to work with some of his teammates. Regarding his craft, he is a hard hard worker and his ability to work off script makes him a great fit for the offense. The big question is, if he is a Steve Smith character or a Terrell Owens character. Steve Smith embraced the way he was given responsibility with the Ravens, and a player considered selfcentered in Carolina who called out teammates and coaches was one of the Ravens best free agent aquisitions. 

I have not shut the door 100% on AB, but I would be very concerned adding him despite how good a player he still is.

6 hours ago, 43M said:

Hey guys, just curious what Ravens fans think the chances are your front office would consider bringing in Antonio Brown in a few weeks?   With your need at WR and Marquise on the roster, its seems more likely than other places, but just wondering how Ravens fans would feel about it.  Thanks!

It's a weird dichotomy because we could definitely use him on the field as our offense and passing game has looked pretty uninspiring this year, but it feels like part of the reason why we're 5-1 even though we haven't played well is because this team actually really likes each other personally and plays hard for each other (see: players pushing the cutting of Earl Thomas). 

So it feels like while the signing could help us out in one area we need, it could potentially hurt us in another area we seem to have worked really hard to perfect.

If we signed him I'd have mixed emotions.

• Like 1

I tend to take my own experiences into account, and I don't know if it is applicable to an NFL team in any way.

But I have been on teams where cohesion was a very important thing (we didn't have 60 man rosters but 25 who played in our spare time), and one guy could create a lot of disruption which could become an issue if it took away focus. We had a runningback who pissed people off because he didn't have his 100 yards game. At other times we had lost and he was strutting around telling it was not his fault because he ran for xxx yards. 

I don't know if that sort of presence is what we need right now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

There’s at least one in @RavensfanRD

Yessir. Because, sign that man. With all the languages in these contracts, I just don't see the downside. If he's an idiot, he's gone, never to be heard from again. But if he's a world beater... we have everything to gain. Maybe EDC and the coaches already asked the players how they felt about an AB signing. If they don't like it, I'm behind them 100%. But if they're like our QB, LJ8, we want all the smoke! But to be clear, I don't think the Ravens are bringing him in and more of a pipe dream for me. As I said before, something about AB, Hollywood and Duv on the field at the same time just sits right in my soul. 

• Like 1

I think one interesting component with Antonio Brown that I do find different than with Earl Thomas in what makes their cases dissimilar, especially within our locker room is this simple fact...

Earl Thomas was mentioned as being lazy and not wanting to put in the work. He missed team meetings and the like. The good thing is he never particularly complained about the team. He knew when to just let things be.

I can’t particularly recall anyone saying Antonio Brown was “lazy”. He’s incredibly reckless and has attitude problems for sure. He’s the kind of guy that will feel imaginary slights where ever he walks and whoever is around him. BUT I can’t particularly recall him and “lazy” ever being words people related with him.

I do think, as a player, I’d be more apt to deal with a hard worker with attitude problems than someone that was lazy and had attitude problems. Even if the hard worker was a bit more destructive. Because at least they’re someone I can count on as grinding.

All that said, I feel he’ll decide to go play with Tom down in Tampa Bay, FL. Personally though I’d love to see him and Rodgers together. I could certainly get down with such a connection. I fear in our offense he would see enough targets because Roman and Culley wouldn’t be able to scheme up enough looks and it would lead to Harbaugh getting into confrontation with him and him exiting the team on bad terms and Harbaugh losing some cache in the locker room for not handling the situation better. 

3 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Nice low risk move. Skeptical he has much left in the tank but on the other hand the dude is somehow only 31 years old and has had some time to let his body heal/rest... 

Hopefully the time off can do him like it did Gronk.

But considering the Achilles injury, like you, I’m quite skeptical on that front. If Bryant can return to any sort of quality he’d be like the first skillfully athletic player I’ve seen return to form. Not even Kobe could do it... I mean he found a way to drop 60 because he’s Kobe, but his plus minus efficiency was never the same.

... Though that was approaching nearly a decade ago so I suppose modern medical science might have progressed enough to make such a comeback possible. We’ll see.