Which receiver should be acquired to help the offense improve?

Ray Reed

2 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Thought I was over the Boykin experiment, but I'm not. Even if we sign Dez, I'm still holding out hope Boykin can find his footing. 

Too late to do anything about this year but I honestly think Boykin's best bet might be bulking up a little bit and trying to turn himself into the next Darren Waller at TE. 

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'd rather buy EXTREMELY low on a super-motivated Dez than sign Antonio Brown and risk that cancer spreading throughout this locker room. Worst case scenario, the offense isn't any worse than it was before.

If nothing else, we KNOW Dez can and is a willing blocker. That's not going anywhere due to the injury/time off. We know he's a vertical threat with size that can still make contested catches. We know he's a good route runner who is fiercely competitive. All those things should still be there. Now, if he is able to retain even a shred of his explosiveness post injury, we got a HELL of a bargain here.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

If nothing else, we KNOW Dez can and is a willing blocker. That's not going anywhere due to the injury/time off. We know he's a vertical threat with size that can still make contested catches. We know he's a good route runner who is fiercely competitive. All those things should still be there. Now, if he is able to retain even a shred of his explosiveness post injury, we got a HELL of a bargain here.

My only qualm with this is the part about Dez being a good route runner. During his career, he was generally considered average at best. I will agree however that he can finish routes strongly. Similar to Anquan Boldin, Michael Irvin, and DeAndre Hopkins (and what Denzel Mims possessed at the collegiate level)... Dez knew how to properly push off at the top of routes in order to create additional separation late into the route and make for safer passes in his direction.

Though perhaps you’re including that in the route running description? And not simply the strength of the route releases and ability to get in and out of breaks or present confusion with head fakes and body shifts? If so then sorry for the confusion on that front.

Either way I think Dez best fit might be to utilize him in a similar way as we did Hayden Hurst last season. Let him operate over the middle in the slot with in cutting routes and utilize his strength to create YAC after the catch. I wouldn’t much trust him to execute on the edges with defenders that can undercut his routes and make house calls because of it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

My only qualm with this is the part about Dez being a good route runner. During his career, he was generally considered average at best. I will agree however that he can finish routes strongly. Similar to Anquan Boldin, Michael Irvin, and DeAndre Hopkins (and what Denzel Mims possessed at the collegiate level)... Dez knew how to properly push off at the top of routes in order to create additional separation late into the route and make for safer passes in his direction.

Though perhaps you’re including that in the route running description? And not simply the strength of the route releases and ability to get in and out of breaks or present confusion with head fakes and body shifts? If so then sorry for the confusion on that front.

Either way I think Dez best fit might be to utilize him in a similar way as we did Hayden Hurst last season. Let him operate over the middle in the slot with in cutting routes and utilize his strength to create YAC after the catch. I wouldn’t much trust him to execute on the edges with defenders that can undercut his routes and make house calls because of it.

Oh, for sure. Obviously he's not running routes to the level of guys like Allen, Adams, Diggs, Thomas, etc. But, as you alluded to, he has/had the same type of ability as those other bigger receivers to create separation at the top of his routes through sheer size and force - something we are desperately missing at the moment from any of our receivers, particularly Boykin (which is surprising to all of us).

And I agree in terms of how to best utilize him, but I don't think he necessarily he has to work from the slot to be effective, especially since that is where our other guys (Snead, Duvernay, Andrews) are best utilized. Dez can still run a majority of underneath/shallow routes from the outside. In turn helping move the outside corner and safeties up a level and increasing the space with which our smaller slot guys have to work with. Or at least that's how I envision using him in Madden. 😅

40 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Oh, for sure. Obviously he's not running routes to the level of guys like Allen, Adams, Diggs, Thomas, etc. But, as you alluded to, he has/had the same type of ability as those other bigger receivers to create separation at the top of his routes through sheer size and force - something we are desperately missing at the moment from any of our receivers, particularly Boykin (which is surprising to all of us).

And I agree in terms of how to best utilize him, but I don't think he necessarily he has to work from the slot to be effective, especially since that is where our other guys (Snead, Duvernay, Andrews) are best utilized. Dez can still run a majority of underneath/shallow routes from the outside. In turn helping move the outside corner and safeties up a level and increasing the space with which our smaller slot guys have to work with. Or at least that's how I envision using him in Madden. 😅

😂 

Allen Robinson liked this tweet today predicting he gets traded to us...

Lmao don't shoot the messenger on this I know it's probably just him scrolling through his phone quickly and liking whatever he's tagged in BUT it's the 21st century and this is the sort of stuff we gotta over-analyze now...

Zrebiec's in the thread as well saying he thinks it's a possibility and that he got the sense from talking to people within the organization today that they're not done FWIW. I think if anything like this is happening it would hinge on Judon being traded as well... not sure who would be suitors for him though. Seattle came to mind as a team in full win-now mode but they probably don't have the cap space.  Not to mention the Bears are 5-1 and probably not looking to be sellers but who knows...

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Allen Robinson liked this tweet today predicting he gets traded to us...

Lmao don't shoot the messenger on this I know it's probably just him scrolling through his phone quickly and liking whatever he's tagged in BUT it's the 21st century and this is the sort of stuff we gotta over-analyze now...

Zrebiec's in the thread as well saying he thinks it's a possibility and that he got the sense from talking to people within the organization today that they're not done FWIW. I think if anything like this is happening it would hinge on Judon being traded as well... not sure who would be suitors for him though. Seattle came to mind as a team in full win-now mode but they probably don't have the cap space.  Not to mention the Bears are 5-1 and probably not looking to be sellers but who knows...

Just when I mention to you in another thread how unlikely it is. This tweet comes into play.

Maybe I should also walk back how unlikely it is for us to trade for Julio. As we know DeCosta is a whiz with his 3rd round picks, we might need to reup on some to trade for either Julio or AR... teams might get greedy and start asking for seconds.🤓

9 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Just when I mention to you in another thread how unlikely it is. This tweet comes into play.

Maybe I should also walk back how unlikely it is for us to trade for Julio. As we know DeCosta is a whiz with his 3rd round picks, we might need to reup on some to trade for either Julio or AR... teams might get greedy and start asking for seconds.🤓

If he finesses Julio, let me be the first person to nominate EDC for a Nobel Peace Prize. 😆