Which receiver should be acquired to help the offense improve?

Ray Reed

With our cap situation, it's hard to see a trade being made for any WR that could actually come in and make a difference. Unless we found cap relief by unloading one or more of our expensive side players. Not what fans want to hear, I know, but it kind of is what is at this point.

Play Calling/Design, Blocking, Lamar, and our receivers all just need to be better. There's no quick or simple fix that's going to save us, unfortunately. 

Seems like this door is now closed as well-

3 hours ago, Danand said:

I expected a post like that tbh.

And that is fair. DB likes Dobbins so he will do a lot to justify his production. Yet, no matter how you break it down, Dobbins has 3 runs that accounts for 82 of his 154 rush yards. That means he has 22 carries for the rest 72 yards.

My guess is the argumet then will be it is not his fault due to bad blocking. That argument however is also applicant to Gus and Ingram, who also has big runs to pump up their tota l YPC. Its just not an argument to justify any of them has been good though.

And that’s my point. If we rob all the runners then JKD is nominally worse than Gus and Ingram, but when we include the big play ability of all these runners, you’ve got JKD cracking off big plays at a clip of 3/25ths of his runs (roughly every 8 runs) vs 2/50 (one every 25 runs) like the others.

So we’re talking a big run once every 8 rushes to this point. That means within the course of a games worth of carries for a normal starter, JKD would be producing 2 big plays/game. Now the sample size is small enough that we can’t “expect” such plays. But we also can’t NOT expect such plays either. Him getting 9 carries against the 4th best run DL in the NFL isn’t something that should conclude him to be a “not good” runner. But if he is such, then we have enough evidence to conclude that neither Ingram or Gus are good runners... considering their production against the Eagles.

No matter what way you want to slice it. If you want to try and pimp the stats by removing big plays or not, there isn’t a case for Gus and Ingram being somehow “good” while JKD is some bad runner that if we have to rely on will result in some obvious concern for our rushing attack. 

Lets not act like I’m the one pumping stats here and trying to falsely remove production from a player. That’s like saying, “well if you remove all of Lamar’s best runs last season” he’s not even a 1000 yard rusher, he’s nothing special. 😂

And why stop there, If we remove all of Lamar’s passes from when he’s ahead in the game... he’s actually not a good QB. Let’s just cherry pick the hell out of it all if we’re going to engage in such logical fallacy anyway.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

With our cap situation, it's hard to see a trade being made for any WR that could actually come in and make a difference. Unless we found cap relief by unloading one or more of our expensive side players. Not what fans want to hear, I know, but it kind of is what is at this point.

Play Calling/Design, Blocking, Lamar, and our receivers all just need to be better. There's no quick or simple fix that's going to save us, unfortunately. 

Seems like this door is now closed as well-

That’s where I thought he’d go and reunite with Tom.

3 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Not exactly the kind of receiver who would most help us IMO, but I would guess we're sniffing around on Will Fuller and Brandin Cooks now that the Texans look officially done. 

Honestly not sure how the team could afford either option. Shark would probably be better from the perspective that he’s on a rookie deal at least.

Beyond that though, Cooks would probably be the best option for a one year rental. We know he’s well acquainted with being traded and adjusting to new systems. He’s also thrived in multiple systems. His speed and Hollywood would certainly apply pressure to defenses with their ability to burn man coverage deep. Which would draw attention away from Andrews and Duvernay to take advantage of the space in the middle of the field. And once those LBs creep back to handle that, our running game should start drumming off huge chunks.

That all said, it would be very difficult to fit Cooks under the cap past this year with all the contracts we’d have to give out.

We’d have to retrade him or it would most certainly mean that the plan would be to franchise and trade Stanley for draft capital.

Edited by diamondbull424

Leave Cooks right where he at. I might entertain a Will Fuller movement, but iffy on that as well. Let's play Madden and see what's good with Mike Evans. He definitely can fit under the cap and Tom Brady hates him. He also has his mans AB, so Evans targets are about to get even lower.  (See my fantasy points for reference) Man was averaging 1100 with Winston and now, probably won't crack 600 yards.

Edited by RavensfanRD

Kill two birds with one stone between my fantasy team and my real team and offer the Panthers our 1st rounder for DJ Moore. He's that good, as I recall it was EDC who wanted him back in the 18 draft, and the Panthers basically don't use him so why not see if they're tempted 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

49 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Kill two birds with one stone between my fantasy team and my real team and offer the Panthers our 1st rounder for DJ Moore. He's that good, as I recall it was EDC who wanted him back in the 18 draft, and the Panthers basically don't use him so why not see if they're tempted 

One of the few moves that could work cap wise and give us an immediate impact weapon at an area of rather severe need. Similar to the Yannick deal, in more ways than one.