Is Mike Vrabel part of the Belichick coaching tree?

Apparition

does Vrabel count as part of the tree?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. does Vrabel count as part of the tree?

• Yes. He clearly learned things about coaching from BB
    • Nope. Gotta be a member of his staff to be on the tree.

I've gone back and forth on this one a few times. Currently, my position is "NO".

I think if you start expanding the definition to include just playing under a coach, it just gets too messy. Is it only the head coach? Does it have to be the head coach you had for the majority of your career? What if you play for several teams?

I'm SURE he learned some things about coaching from Bill, but my current thinking makes me ultimately say no, he can't be considered part of the Belichick coaching tree.

• Like 2

when vrabel went on taylor lewan's podcast he mentioned that he and BB didn't really speak for a couple of years after he got traded to kansas city, but then when he was thinking of getting back into coaching he reached out and they started talking again. so....sort of? it seems like he's definitely gotten advice and consultation, plus plenty of influence from playing under him, but i don't see it as the same thing as working directly with someone as a coach.

on that note, it will never not be funny to me that vrabel is part of the bill o'brien coaching tree.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

when vrabel went on taylor lewan's podcast he mentioned that he and BB didn't really speak for a couple of years after he got traded to kansas city, but then when he was thinking of getting back into coaching he reached out and they started talking again. so....sort of? it seems like he's definitely gotten advice and consultation, plus plenty of influence from playing under him, but i don't see it as the same thing as working directly with someone as a coach.

on that note, it will never not be funny to me that vrabel is part of the bill o'brien coaching tree.

Jesus balls BoB might literally already have a better coaching tree than Belichick

• Like 2

Nope. By this measure, Kliff Kingsbury is also a member of the Belicheck tree -  kid Kliff was a Pats 6th round pick in 2003.

I don't think anyone makes that connection... so why do so here?

Vrabel is a branch off of the Urban Meyer tree.

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

Jesus balls BoB might literally already have a better coaching tree than Belichick

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Nope. By this measure, Kliff Kingsbury is also a member of the Belicheck tree - 6th round pick in 2003.

I don't think anyone makes that connection... so why do so here?

Vrabel is a branch off of the Urban Meyer tree.

How far do branches extend? Belichick->BoB->Vrabel?

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

How far do branches extend? Belichick->BoB->Vrabel?

And Belichick is Parcells.

I mean it makes the most sense when you innovate a certain scheme or something, like the West Coast offense, or the Tampa 2 defense. Like you're bringing in a specific philosophy and spreading it around the NFL.

The thing about Belichick -- and perhaps one reason why his "tree" has been so unsuccessful -- is that his schemes and philosophies have changed and adapted so much over time. He doesn't force every roster he has to follow a single scheme, but rather develops the scheme that fits his current roster. This has been on both offense and defense.