Is Mike Vrabel part of the Belichick coaching tree?

Apparition

does Vrabel count as part of the tree?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. does Vrabel count as part of the tree?

• Yes. He clearly learned things about coaching from BB
    • Nope. Gotta be a member of his staff to be on the tree.

2 hours ago, DannyB said:

And Belichick is Parcells.

Yeah, if we're playing this game, there are only two "Bill" trees - Parcells and Walsh. Pretty much every single coach that is (or will be) can be traced back to these two men.

These two are the roots of modern day football.

• Like 3

Well, he coached under BOB who coached under BB, so he is part of the tree in the form of a branch's branch... but I assume you mean directly on BB's tree? I would say yes for practical purposes... Being a player under BB's staff for several years surely shaped his approach to the game and how he views it. However, traditionally speaking, coaching trees are pretty simple: if you were an assistant under a certain coach, you are part of their coaching tree.

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

I mean, BOB is on the Belichick tree, and Vrabel is on the BOB tree, so if you’re doing it that way, yes.

If you aren’t, then no.

This is also how coaching trees are traditionally done. It’s like a family tree. Your branches can have branches. So Vrabel would be on Bill’s tree from under BoB. I also think him spending the majority of his playing time on the Pats under Bill and having made his connection with BoB there would add particular credence to that. 

Most coaching trees are done this way and it’s why Walsh has a particularly strong one because his  gets the Harbaughs, McCarthy, Tomlin, Dungy, Shanahan, Reid, etc 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

coachingtree_belichick.png

Maybe?

This gets interesting: 

Zimmer was brought to the pro's by Barry Switzer, he was a defensive coach for us since the early 90's. Way before Parcells.

Garrett only had 1 year with Saban as a QB coach, but 3 with Wade Phillips as an OC. 

Sean Payton was an OC under Jim Fassell before coming to the Cowboys under Parcells. 

Edited by Matts4313

13 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, if we're playing this game, there are only two "Bill" trees - Parcells and Walsh. Pretty much every single coach that is (or will be) can be traced back to these two men.

These two are the roots of modern day football.

I think you forgot about Paul Brown here. But I understand

17 hours ago, DannyB said:

Sorry I'm not giving Belichick Saban. He's a college coach, it's an entirely different game. He failed in the NFL.

It was a mixed bag. One winning season, then management brought in the dumpsterfire that was Culpepper instead of Brees.