Is Mike Vrabel part of the Belichick coaching tree?

Apparition

does Vrabel count as part of the tree?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. does Vrabel count as part of the tree?

• Yes. He clearly learned things about coaching from BB
    • Nope. Gotta be a member of his staff to be on the tree.

6 hours ago, lancerman said:

It doesn’t matter. Coaching trees have never went one level deep. Belichick to O’Brien to Vrabel. That’s part of a tree. People associate coaches today to being distant parts of the Walsh tree. Nobody says “oh grandchildren aren’t part of a family tree”. 

That’s the literal sense. So he clears that.

In the philosophical sense, he came up under O’Brien who is a a Belichick protege and was, more specifically, working with Crennel who is a Belichick guy. He was a team Captain that learned under Belichick. Then he takes on a lot of Bill’s traits. So even in the more purposeful sense, he is part of the tree. 

He only isn’t part of the tree if you randomly decide it only counts if they are one level in the tree below you, which has never been the case. It kinda feels like people are married to the “all Belichick tree coaches suck” narrative continuing. 

Okay so Vrabel is part of the Parcells tree. That settles it.

32 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Forget Belichick for a second, curious to know where Vrabel ranks amongst HCs in the league.

If BB has his own tier, I'd probably put Vrabel in with the likes of Tomlin, Harbaugh, Peyton and possibly Carroll at the moment. Hard to argue with his record and what's he's done.

13 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If BB has his own tier, I'd probably put Vrabel in with the likes of Tomlin, Harbaugh, Peyton and possibly Carroll at the moment. Hard to argue with his record and what's he's done.

Honestly surprised to see him that high. You’re putting him in the same tier as SB winning coaches, not sure I’d go that high quite yet.

13 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Yes, I count coaches played for (especially if for more than a few season) and coached under.

6 hours ago, lancerman said:

He’s part of both 

Okay, but for the purposes of conversation, when people point out that Belichick's coaching tree sucks, you can't be like "No not entirely, see Vrabel's pretty good!"

Because I'll be honest, I think a lot of people who want to count Vrabel as being part of BB's tree, are Patriots fans who get their back up at any perceived criticism of, well...I mean, anything, but in this case, Belichick.

And to that, I'd say two things: a.) Too bad, so sad, his coaching tree sucks, and b.) I don't see it as a criticism of Belichick as a coach, at all. In some ways you could say it could be seen as a positive, as far as his prowess as a HC.

35 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Okay, but for the purposes of conversation, when people point out that Belichick's coaching tree sucks, you can't be like "No not entirely, see Vrabel's pretty good!"

Because I'll be honest, I think a lot of people who want to count Vrabel as being part of BB's tree, are Patriots fans who get their back up at any perceived criticism of, well...I mean, anything, but in this case, Belichick.

And to that, I'd say two things: a.) Too bad, so sad, his coaching tree sucks, and b.) I don't see it as a criticism of Belichick as a coach, at all. In some ways you could say it could be seen as a positive, as far as his prowess as a HC.

I think it’s the other way around. People are married to the “Bill’s coaching tree sucks” narrative and don’t want to let it go. 

The reality is most people don’t care about coaching trees aside from random factoids. Nobody gets in the Hall for having a good tree. If anything the fact that Bill has so few guys capable of replicating what he does, is a benefit to him because it shows how singularly important he is. You can’t copy Belichick because he’s so game specific and has too many skills in his set.

5 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Honestly surprised to see him that high. You’re putting him in the same tier as SB winning coaches, not sure I’d go that high quite yet.

yeah i mean i love vrabel and love going into games knowing that more often than not the team is gonna be locked in and we're not going to have people coach circles around us, but he needs to accomplish more before he gets that kind of respect.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

I think it’s the other way around. People are married to the “Bill’s coaching tree sucks” narrative and don’t want to let it go. 

The reality is most people don’t care about coaching trees aside from random factoids. Nobody gets in the Hall for having a good tree. If anything the fact that Bill has so few guys capable of replicating what he does, is a benefit to him because it shows how singularly important he is. You can’t copy Belichick because he’s so game specific and has too many skills in his set.

Hahaha!! Married to the narrative that his tree sucks? Um, because it does?? It's not a narrative, it's just the reality at this point. Maybe it changes in the future, but seems unlikely at this point.

And I agree with your second point, which is why I don't understand why so many pats fans I talk to get butthurt about it. BB's strength as a coach isn't some innovated scheme he came up with that can just be taught, replicated, and tweaked. It's his ability to adapt over the course of seasons and within a season, adjust what his team does based on the players he has available and the team he's facing, and his feel for the game as it's unfolding.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 8:20 AM, scar988 said:

Considering it's a coaching TREE, yes.

Bill Parcells is the trunk of the Tree

Bill Belichick is a branch of the tree

Bill O'Brien is an offshoot branch of the larger branch

Mike Vrabel is a stick coming off that offshoot branch of the tree.

That is how trees work. 

Well done.