Clippers hire Ty Lue as HC

sdrawkcab321

33 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

My point is that it’s a players league. When you have two players of LeBron and AD’s ability, particularly Bron who your coach is doesn’t really matter. It’s a players league. Having two of the 5-7 best players in the league will put you in a strong position to win a title. 

It definitely does put you in a great position and you need talent to win but coaching makes a huge difference especially later in the postseason when your opponents are usually stacked as well. Which is why a team like Toronto was able to beat Golden State and why Dallas was able to beat Miami in the Finals. 

As the rest of the league has trended towards small ball to add more shooting/playmaking, Vogel took the opposite approach and played with a huge lineup that featured 2 centers and no point guard. Which was one of the main reasons they were so great defensively and able to run through everyone on their way to the title.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

It definitely does put you in a great position and you need talent to win but coaching makes a huge difference especially later in the postseason when your opponents are usually stacked as well. Which is why a team like Toronto was able to beat Golden State and why Dallas was able to beat Miami in the Finals. 

As the rest of the league has trended towards small ball to add more shooting/playmaking, Vogel took the opposite approach and played with a huge lineup that featured 2 centers and no point guard. Which was one of the main reasons they were so great defensively and able to run through everyone on their way to the title.

Toronto best GS because they were injured. Dallas beat Miami because LeBron did nothing in those 4th quarters. I’m not one to say coaching doesn’t matter and doesn’t have an impact. I’m simply saying the more talent you have the less it matters. Vogel also played small vs Miami and against Houston. He didn’t play big all the way through. I think AD and Bron win with or without Vogel as HC.

Edited by Kip Smithers

17 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Toronto best GS because they were injured. Dallas beat Miami because LeBron did nothing in those 4th quarters. I’m not one to say coaching doesn’t matter and doesn’t have an impact. I’m simply saying the more talent you have the less it matters. Vogel also played small vs Miami and against Houston. He didn’t play big all the way through. I think AD and Bron win with or without Vogel as HC.

Toronto also beat the 76ers and Bucks as well and a lot of that had to do with Nurse's coaching. Why did LeBron get locked down in those 4th quarters? Carslie did an excellent job with his defensive schemes. Obviously talent, specifically superstar talent, plays a major factor in winning games in the postseason. See, Vogel made smart adjustments, they played big for the majority of the season and went small when they needed too. I agree the Lakers would've had a strong chance to win a title regardless but Vogel's one of the best defensive coaches in the league and really got all of their guys to buy in. The Lakers also benefited from not having to play the Clippers, the Warriors being done with injuries, the Nets being done with injuries, and the Heat being injured throughout the Finals. 

The Clippers are the perfect example of why coaching matters. Top to bottom they were the most talented and well balanced team in the league but lost due to Doc's poor rotations and gameplanning. The Warriors were a good team under Mark Jackson but instantly became an elite, championship level team under Kerr. 

When you have two teams that are fairly evenly matched or have star talent at the top, a lot of times it's minor coaching changes that swing the series one way or another. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...