Wyld Stallyns

Colts have 4 false positive Covid-19 test, facilities open in afternoon

1 hour ago, RUGmen said:

So all these false positive just in the NFL...now extrapolate that to the entire world...makes you wonder...

Exactly, and the rest of the world doesn’t have the luxury of repeated testing too.

• Like 1

With all the money at stake, these false positives don’t help. What is it? The test? The lab? Perhaps there's not much more we can do. It's not the end of the world to have a few extra weeks, and get the playoff bubbles prepared.

3 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

With all the money at stake, these false positives don’t help. What is it? The test? The lab? Perhaps there's not much more we can do. It's not the end of the world to have a few extra weeks, and get the playoff bubbles prepared.

The test is the short answer. These are rapid tests, as with anything done faster than it probably should, it's not going to be perfect. It's why the protocol is to get the rapid test and than confirm with more testing. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

The NFL is using a rapid response test that has a higher failure rate than the ones used used widely out in the world. The tests they are using are designed to give a rapid response earlier in the infection stage than what anywhere else is using. They're using them so that they can get a response to a positive test as soon as possible.

The drawback to that is that they're going to get far more false positives than if they took different tests without the same type of turnaround and early detection, but given the scope of contact that NFL players and personnel have on a daily basis, the alternative is to allow an infected member of the team to continue contact well after when they could have been found.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

The test is the short answer. These are rapid tests, as with anything done faster than it probably should, it's not going to be perfect. It's why the protocol is to get the rapid test and than confirm with more testing. 

1 minute ago, pwny said:

The NFL is using a rapid response test that has a higher failure rate than the ones used used widely out in the world. The tests they are using are designed to give a rapid response earlier in the infection stage than what anywhere else is using. They're using them so that they can get a response to a positive test as soon as possible.

The drawback to that is that they're going to get far more false positives than if they took different tests without the same type of turnaround and early detection, but given the scope of contact that NFL players and personnel have on a daily basis, the alternative is to allow an infected member of the team to continue contact well after when they could have been found.

Well, that makes sense. 

I was tested for the virus prior to a surgery I had a couple weeks ago at the hospital, they got the results back in a couple hours and were confident enough in the results to not want or need a retest to send me in to surgery the next day without a worry.

If hospitals are using tests that get results that quickly and they're confident enough in the results in a situation far more important/dire than what the NFL is dealing with, why can't the NFL just use those type of tests? Are those tests only made/supplied to hospitals? No idea how this stuff works tbh

Just now, TitanLegend said:

I was tested for the virus prior to a surgery I had a couple weeks ago at the hospital, they got the results back in a couple hours and were confident enough in the results to not want or need a retest to send me in to surgery the next day without a worry.

If hospitals are using tests that get results that quickly and they're confident enough in the results in a situation far more important/dire than what the NFL is dealing with, why can't the NFL just use those type of tests? Are those tests only made/supplied to hospitals? No idea how this stuff works tbh

You're comparing confidence against a potential false negative to false positives. They're completely different, both in how they are measured, how often they happen and the impact of them. Beyond immeasurable incubation issues, false negatives are incredibly rare; if you have the virus, have hit the incubation load for the test, you're going to test positive 99.9% of the time. On the other hand, other things can potentiallty flag as being similar enough in the test to make the test effectively read as you having it. With these rapid response kits that the NFL is, the margin for error in that direction is much higher than .01%, which is why they follow up with the more accurate tests afterwards. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RUGmen said:

So all these false positive just in the NFL...now extrapolate that to the entire world...makes you wonder...

I wonder if the tests were run by the same agency that had all the false positives when camp opened.

Edited by INbengalfan

See @Deadpulse and @pwny response. You cannot extrapolate what the NFL is doing to the world.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xenos said:

See @Deadpulse and @pwny response. You cannot extrapolate what the NFL is doing to the world.

as much as I 100% agree with @Xenos , this type of discussion belongs here:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Those couple hours are the difference. 

NFL teams are testing players in the morning and want results within 15 -30 minutes so players can do workouts, meetings, rehab, practice,  etc.

Hospital just needs results prior to surgery,  so test Monday for surgery on Tuesday or Wednesday. 

7 hours ago, RUGmen said:

It's about time people start to realize....

2 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

It's about time people start to realize....

This a warning. Two posts up from yours is the reminder. So again:

• Like 1