Any Donald Driver Love?

Skippy

Donald Driver was always one of my favorite Packers of all time. Not necessarily because of his play on the field, but off as well. His smile and generosity has made himself a fan favorite and for good reason. I once read his book that was written about his life (would recommend his book to anybody) and the bad path that he was taking as a kid. Thankfully chose a different path. He lived in the back of a U-Haul with his family in Houston growing up for a small period of time. Maybe that's what I like about him the most. 

My favorite Donald Driver story is a training camp story. I try and get to training camp atleast once a year and drive up to GB and make a full day of it. I'd say it was maybe 2010 and I decided to  do my yearly drive up to GB and attend training camp. I decided to go with my friend, his two daughters, my nephew and his friend. All kids were 10, 11 years old. My friends daughter shows up that morning to my house wearing a pink #80 jersey and a small football that she wanted to get signed by Donald Driver her favorite player. I immediately thought ok this is doable but not necessarily a given by no means. So pre 2010 it seemed autographs were easier to get but this particular training camp the Packers organization decided that each practice they were going to choose 6 players to sign autographs and rotate it every practice. Anyways we hit the gold nugget when practice was over and Donald Driver actually was one of the guys that were signing that day. Bad thing is that the other 5 guys were basically guys that had zero or little chance to even make the roster. The line for Donald Driver was endless and the kids in our group got in line and waited and waited and waited. Finally a whistle blew and all the other 5 players stood up because the signing session was done. Not Donald Driver, he kept signing. We still didn't get a autograph when he finally got up. But I noticed Donald Driver stood up and I could sorta vision the path that he was gonna walk, so I grabbed one of the extra footballs the kids brought along and head to the place over the 3,4 foot fence area that I thought he'd eventually get to. I was correct. He signed the ball. By this time other fans and the rest of my group came up behind me. My friends daughter got to high five DD and get her ball and jersey signed. We ended up chatting with him for easily another 10 minutes. The rest of Donald's teammates were probably dressed and gone from the stadium already. He made my day, but I couldn't imagine what he did for many kids that day! Donald will always be a favorite of mine. 

• Like 2

His first few years in GB I delivered pizza to him on a fairly consistent basis. He was always one of the nicest people I interacted with, he would actually be conversational and engaging. With some guys that's an act, with Donald Driver, I am sure it is 100% just who he is.

• Like 1