Lets Talk TEs

MKnight82

1 minute ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I know he played for Colorado St. He looks like a TE that would fit the profile RR/ST are looking for. Needs to be coached up but looks pretty solid. 

Thanks Art Monk, it’s like you’re a hall of famer! I like him as a mid to late round prospect from what I see.

10 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Good TE’s today are hard to come by. One guy who isn’t mentioned much but I think would be a nice free agent pick in 2021 is Jonnu Smith, 25 years old, 6’3” 250 lbs. He’s done a pretty nice job for the Titans. 
Our free agency pick ups are far and few. Not sure we would even entertain this choice or any choices for that matter. 

Bingo. If they’re not going to spend at the top of the market for Hunter Henry — and it’s hard to really blame a snakebitten team for wanting to avoid giving significant money to a player with a huge injury history — Jonnu Smith would be a great option. 

Super athlete, big threat after the catch, pretty solid blocker. He’s the kind of guy you watch and feel like he’s just scratching the surface of what he can be. Big fan of his, would be an excellent option if TEN feels they can/have to let him out the door.

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

Bingo. If they’re not going to spend at the top of the market for Hunter Henry — and it’s hard to really blame a snakebitten team for wanting to avoid giving significant money to a player with a huge injury history — Jonnu Smith would be a great option. 

Super athlete, big threat after the catch, pretty solid blocker. He’s the kind of guy you watch and feel like he’s just scratching the surface of what he can be. Big fan of his, would be an excellent option if TEN feels they can/have to let him out the door.

That’s the thing, I can’t see Tenn letting him out the door, but if they do we have to grab him. We can’t let him get away bc we didn’t want to give a little more money than the Titans like we did last year in not beating the Browns offer for Hopper. Not getting Hopper IMO has/will have more affect on this passing offense than not getting Cooper for our young QBs.

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That’s the thing, I can’t see Tenn letting him out the door, but if they do we have to grab him. We can’t let him get away bc we didn’t want to give a little more money than the Titans like we did last year in not beating the Browns offer for Hopper. Not getting Hopper IMO has/will have more affect on this passing offense than not getting Cooper for our young QBs.

I think it’ll be a cap space issue.

They’re not pressed as tightly against it as ATL was with Hooper, but they’ve already paid huge money to their QB, RB, and LT, and they have some premium needs on the defensive side of the ball. They’ve got some space, and there are plenty of players they can cut to create more space — but they are a contender right now, they’re not in a position to just be dropping key contributors without replacing them. They’ve also only got 33 players under contract for next season, so they are gonna burn a lot of cap space just bringing in veteran filler and paying rookies.

The real kicker is that they are in very serious need of outside pass rush (note to self: we should call them about Kerrigan). Clowney is only on a one-year deal, and behind him they have Harold Landry and...nobody. They have a total of 5 sacks in 4 games, two of which are from DTs and two of which are from DBs. That is a high priced need, and they won’t be able to fill it for next year (with Clowney or some other veteran) at low cost. 

I think there’s a good chance they’ll have to choose to let some guys walk, and Smith might be one of them if he continues on this year’s pace (220 yards and 5 TDs through 4 games). That sort of production will price you out of a team’s plans pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, e16bball said:

Definitely want to stay away from Hunter Henry.  A second tier option like Smith would be good through free agency.  Being productive in a run-first offense with Ryan Tannehill under center speaks to the player being really good.  I'd also like to get someone round 2-4 as well.  

TE is by far our worst position grouping, and probably the worst talent of any unit in the NFL.  If none of these guys are on the roster next year, I will not be surprised at all. 

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Definitely want to stay away from Hunter Henry.  A second tier option like Smith would be good through free agency.  Being productive in a run-first offense with Ryan Tannehill under center speaks to the player being really good.  I'd also like to get someone round 2-4 as well.  

TE is by far our worst position grouping, and probably the worst talent of any unit in the NFL.  If none of these guys are on the roster next year, I will not be surprised at all. 

I still can’t believe that Ron, Kyle & Scotty didn’t draft or pick up a better TE in FA. They tried to sell us all on Logan Thomas, most people weren’t buying it. I mean I like his height and athleticism but he’s just not a starting TE and his blocking is worse than Jordan Reed’s.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I still can’t believe that Ron, Kyle & Scotty didn’t draft or pick up a better TE in FA. They tried to sell us all on Logan Thomas, most people weren’t buying it. I mean I like his height and athleticism but he’s just not a starting TE and his blocking is worse than Jordan Reed’s.

I am completely in agreement with not drafting one in a bad year, and the same goes for a pretty weak FA class outside of overspending for Hooper.  I still think the trade market was our best bet to improve, and we missed out on a couple good targets.  And, there were teams who were absolutely loaded with TEs and we never made one move.  

34 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I am completely in agreement with not drafting one in a bad year, and the same goes for a pretty weak FA class outside of overspending for Hooper.  I still think the trade market was our best bet to improve, and we missed out on a couple good targets.  And, there were teams who were absolutely loaded with TEs and we never made one move.  

Harrison Bryant from Dayton doesn’t look that bad and he’s a good developmental guy. 

I wanted Nick Vanette, good blocker and a decent receiver. I wish the Seahawks would trade Hollister, Bucs would trade Brate or OJ Howard or the Browns would trade Njoku.

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I’ll take you a step further and say there’s at least an outside chance that none of these guys are on anyone’s roster next year. 

On 10/18/2020 at 3:01 AM, e16bball said:

I’ll take you a step further and say there’s at least an outside chance that none of these guys are on anyone’s roster next year. 

I think there’s a chance that Logan Thomas and Baugh will be on our roster as the #2 & 3 but we’ll have a new starter whether that be through the draft or free agency. Sprinkle is as good as gone bc he didn’t even impress the coaches enough to be the #2 over Baugh.