pf9

A more geographically correct NFL realignment proposal

22 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Nope. Can't do it. Some rivalries you just can't split. Bears/Packers. Saints/Falcons. Might be a couple others (Eagles/Giants? Steeler/Browns?) but those are the 2 that come to mind as long standing, deep hated rivals. The teams hate each other, the fans hate each other. Just too good a rivalry to split up.

Any rivalry from Raiders/Chiefs/Broncos.

AFCW has as much “hatred” in a rivalry, if not more, then most of those matchups.

For much of the Browns' second existence, I highly doubt that their rivalry with the Steelers was a real one, given that the Steelers frequently beat them. Three full-time Browns head coaches since returning to the league were fired without ever recording a win over the Steelers. Before the Modell move, this had never happened.

To me, that's a sign that Browns-Steelers is NOT a rivalry anymore, at least until there is parity between the teams. Rivalries should have parity, this one has not for over two decades. But that all could change soon.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Nope. Can't do it. Some rivalries you just can't split. Bears/Packers. Saints/Falcons. Might be a couple others (Eagles/Giants? Steeler/Browns?) but those are the 2 that come to mind as long standing, deep hated rivals. The teams hate each other, the fans hate each other. Just too good a rivalry to split up.

And yet you are ok with breaking up possibly the biggest rivalry between two teams in Baltimore/Pittsburgh. If they are moving teams for geographical reasons then Atlanta can move away from New Orleans.

7 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

And yet you are ok with breaking up possibly the biggest rivalry between two teams in Baltimore/Pittsburgh. If they are moving teams for geographical reasons then Atlanta can move away from New Orleans.

People in Baltimore put up with Pittsburgh not being in their division from 1953-1983, even during the years (53-66) where it would have made more sense for Balitmore to be with the Northeast teams. If they did it then, they can do it now.

In baseball, Baltimore and Pittsburgh aren't even in the same league. Haven't been since 1899.

Edited by pf9

It feels like OP believes Pittsburgh is much more of a Northeast city than it really is. Both geographically and culturally, it's much more in-line with Cleveland and other rust-belt midwestern cities. Pittsburgh is way more like Columbus and Cleveland than that string of I-95 metropolitans from DC to Boston

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

It feels like OP believes Pittsburgh is much more of a Northeast city than it really is. Both geographically and culturally, it's much more in-line with Cleveland and other rust-belt midwestern cities. Pittsburgh is way more like Columbus and Cleveland than that string of I-95 metropolitans from DC to Boston

The Penguins share a division with only one Midwest team - Columbus. All the other division rivals of the Pens are on or near the east coast.

Even the Pirates were once part of a division with Montreal, NYC, and Philly. My proposed 4-league realignment of MLB would give the Pirates the same amount of games against the Mets and Phillies as they would get against the NL's Midwestern teams. This would allow them to both keep the Reds rivalry and rekindle the one with the Phillies.

Furthermore, the Steelers shared a division with East Coast teams for many years prior to 1967.

2 minutes ago, pf9 said:

The Penguins share a division with only one Midwest team - Columbus. All the other division rivals of the Pens are on or near the east coast.

Even the Pirates were once part of a division with Montreal, NYC, and Philly. My proposed 4-league realignment of MLB would give the Pirates the same amount of games against the Mets and Phillies as they would get against the NL's Midwestern teams. This would allow them to both keep the Reds rivalry and rekindle the one with the Phillies.

I don't know why you're comparing to other sports leagues. The Metro division has 8 freaking teams in it, doesn't have teams in Indy or Cleveland, and has teams in Nashville and Chicago that are considered "Western" teams. Like that's a terrible comp.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, pf9 said:

While losing the Northeast teams as rivals would suck for Cowboys fans, in time they'd come to regard ATL, NO and TB as huge rivals.

I don't think you can force rivalries to exist purely on geography.  There is something special in a rivalry that the DAL/WAS/NYG/PHI teams have.  

The travel aspect is of fairly minimal significance in today's world (aside from a pandemic year).

Just now, squire12 said:

I don't think you can force rivalries to exist purely on geography.  There is something special in a rivalry that the DAL/WAS/NYG/PHI teams have.  

The travel aspect is of fairly minimal significance in today's world (aside from a pandemic year).

But you said the NFL prefers division rivalries for Thanksgiving. Thus, if the NFL is going to insist on that (which I think they should just go to a relative rotation of teams outside DAL/DET), then Dallas should have regional rivals in their division like the Lions do.

11 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Furthermore, the Steelers shared a division with East Coast teams for many years prior to 1967.

you mean the East Coast teams in St Louis, Cleveland and Dallas?

1 minute ago, pf9 said:

But you said the NFL prefers division rivalries for Thanksgiving. Thus, if the NFL is going to insist on that (which I think they should just go to a relative rotation of teams outside DAL/DET), then Dallas should have regional rivals in their division like the Lions do.

the air travel from the NE metro area and TB or ATL is not that much different.  

Dallas to NY is around 3 hours.   Dallas to ATL is around 2 hours.    Both are 1 time zone difference.  

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

you mean the East Coast teams in St Louis, Cleveland and Dallas?

For over 30 years, there were only two divisions in the NFL. The Steelers were with the Eagles, Giants, and Washington for many years in the East back when it was just East and West. Oddly, the Colts weren't part of that group, and only began to share a division with other East Coast teams upon the AFL merger.

Just now, pf9 said:

For over 30 years, there were only two divisions in the NFL. The Steelers were with the Eagles, Giants, and Washington for many years in the East back when it was just East and West. Oddly, the Colts weren't part of that group, and only began to share a division with other East Coast teams upon the AFL merger.

Yeah, you said they shared a division with East Coast teams AND non east coast teams.  

Since the merger and the SUper Bowl era, these alignments and rivalries have been cultivated and are part of what makes the divisions as exciting as they are.  

The Titans once had huge rivalries with CIN/CLE/PIT as the Oilers. Sure losing those rivalries sucked for those fans, but in time the Texans, Jaguars and Colts became the TItans' major rivals.

The Falcons and Saints also broke up with the 49ers and Rams.

So if the NFL was willing to break up those teams, then they should be willing to break up others.