Quarterback of the Future

pwny

Who will be the starter for the 2021 season?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the starter for the 2021 season?

• Someone currently on the roster
    • A big name Free Agent/traded for QB
    • A journeyman Free Agent/traded for QB
    • First round Rookie QB
    • Second round or later Rookie QB

33 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I’m still on the boat for Fields over Wilson.. people will make excuses to talk themselves into what they believe. I’ve been watching Fields since he was a Junior going into his senior season in HS. Kid is a natural leader he’s been mature even since his high school days. If you want to see a glimpse of what I’m talking about you can go on Netflix and look for a series named QB1. Fields went into the Elite 11 competition as the number 2 rated QB behind Trevor Lawrence.. and during the head to head competition leaving the camp Fields was rated the best QB and the No. 1 QB in the country going into his senior year.

Does that mean that to date that Fields is better than Trevor no.. but it lets me know Fields is cerebral and he doesn’t shy away from the big stage or competition. People bash Fields for 1 bad game against a top 10 team. But the same people won’t bash Wilson for having a bad game against Coastal Carolina. Lawrence struggled against a 4 win VT squad. 195 a touch and a pick. I’m not expecting these guys to play well every single game. Hell Russell  Wilson has even had a bad game this year.. but he is playing at an MVP level. I’m not saying we won’t have trouble pains with Fields but to be honest I haven’t heard of Zach until this yr I’ve had my eye on Fields since he was a high schooler. I truly believe his best days are ahead of him and he still isn’t a finished product. I think he will keep getting better every yr. I think at worst with Fields will be just as good as Donovan McNabb as far as career trajectory not talent or game play similarities. And if we have a guy that can get us in the playoffs 8x over the next 12 yrs I’ll take it. 

Team Fields my guy.

I like Wilson too. He's fun as hell, has a live arm, and overall seems to have a good skill set for today's NFL. But Fields is up a level for me. Regardless, we at the very least picked a good year to be bad and find the guy imo.

It's going to be critical for the development of whoever it is we hit a homerun the next couple months. We have to get it right on this coach/staff hire. We can't have another Jedd Fisch coming in as an OC to groom a young QB. Some guys are special enough that they can succeed regardless (maybe Fields and even Wilson can overcome that, who knows) but it just makes it that much more difficult when it's already and uphill battle to succeed at that position in the league.

18 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Team Fields my guy.

I like Wilson too. He's fun as hell, has a live arm, and overall seems to have a good skill set for today's NFL. But Fields is up a level for me. Regardless, we at the very least picked a good year to be bad and find the guy imo.

It's going to be critical for the development of whoever it is in the next couple months. We have to hit on this coach/staff hire. We can't have another Jedd Fisch coming in as an OC to groom a young QB.

Fields is just a competitor he has all the tools. Even if you go back and watch the playoff game OSU lost Fields had a hell of a game. The QB1 series shows you like 4 other senior QBs you can see the contrast of his maturity at that stage verses everyone else at that age.. he’s confident af and he challenges his teammates thats what stuck out the most to me.. and his team mates respect him because they know he plays the game at a high level... if a guy drops a ball he is on them in a constructive way and he is hard on his self when he feels he doesn’t play well.. it’s not just well alright.. oh well I played a bad game..  if he has a bad game he’s that guy that will bounce back with a big game.. he is that type of dude. You are right on finding the right coach is going to be key for the Jags. The front office and coaching personnel choices have been woeful the last 12 years. So I have anxiety about them Khan’s jacking this up for us. 

Edited by DuvalsKing
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Fields is just a competitor he has all the tools. Even if you go back and watch the playoff game OSU lost Fields had a hell of a game. The QB1 series shows you like 4 other senior QBs you can see the contrast of his maturity at that stage verses everyone else at that age.. he’s confident af and he challenges his teammates thats what stuck out the most to me.. and his team mates respect him because they know he plays the game at a high level... if a guy drops a ball he is on them in a constructive way and he is hard on his self when he feels he doesn’t play well.. it’s not just well alright.. oh well I played a bad game..  if he has a bad game he’s that guy that will bounce back with a big game.. he is that type of dude. You are right on finding the right coach is going to be key for the Jags. The front office and coaching personnel choices have been woeful the last 12 years. So I have anxiety about them Khan’s jacking this up for us. 

It's just so hard to know how these guys will transition from being a scout to someone who had to run the ship and build a team though. Like Caldwell worked under some great minds/was a fantastic scout, but he just didn't know how to team build and clearly was overmatched in the GM role.

The two names that I would feel fairly confident in are Dodds and Horowitz, outside of that and it's just going to be a wait and see eval imo (and even those two could have struggles, I just like what I've read about them more than anyone else).

53 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

What’s the best comp for Fields?

I'm going with a lighter Cam Newton.

Your QB situation is interesting. If I had to guess, next year you go in with Minshew and Glennon to be the sacrificial lamb with Fields on the sideline for about 6 weeks. Luton goes to the Practice Squad.

Your offense is close to being very good when healthy. You guys should be excited.

(Also I hate you all for the Ngakoue trade lol)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/Trevor-Lawrence-Justin-Fields-pro-comparisons-John-Elway-Cam-Newton-NFL-Draft-2021-Clemson-Tigers-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-146815832/Amp/

Its a little old but has some good points.

"We may be talking about Justin Fields as the No. 1 pick. In his game from a pro game standpoint is more where pro football is headed. I think we are looking at two transformational talents, but Lawrence is more of the Elway, Testaverde type and he’s still No. 1 for me.” "

so really its 1a to 1b and it kinda depends on the way u want to pkay

On 12/6/2020 at 9:46 AM, DuvalsKing said:

I’m still on the boat for Fields over Wilson.. people will make excuses to talk themselves into what they believe. I’ve been watching Fields since he was a Junior going into his senior season in HS. Kid is a natural leader he’s been mature even since his high school days. If you want to see a glimpse of what I’m talking about you can go on Netflix and look for a series named QB1. Fields went into the Elite 11 competition as the number 2 rated QB behind Trevor Lawrence.. and during the head to head competition leaving the camp Fields was rated the best QB and the No. 1 QB in the country going into his senior year.

Does that mean that to date that Fields is better than Trevor no.. but it lets me know Fields is cerebral and he doesn’t shy away from the big stage or competition. People bash Fields for 1 bad game against a top 10 team. But the same people won’t bash Wilson for having a bad game against Coastal Carolina. Lawrence struggled against a 4 win VT squad. 195 a touch and a pick. I’m not expecting these guys to play well every single game. Hell Russell  Wilson has even had a bad game this year.. but he is playing at an MVP level. I’m not saying we won’t have trouble pains with Fields but to be honest I haven’t heard of Zach until this yr I’ve had my eye on Fields since he was a high schooler. I truly believe his best days are ahead of him and he still isn’t a finished product. I think he will keep getting better every yr. I think at worst with Fields will be just as good as Donovan McNabb as far as career trajectory not talent or game play similarities. And if we have a guy that can get us in the playoffs 8x over the next 12 yrs I’ll take it. 

To me, this isn't always inherently a "positive".  Some guys just really peak early.  I'm not afraid of a later bloomer like Zach Wilson.  When you start to look at trajectories, a lot of those "mature since high school" and "on track for a top pick" since their early teens types, end up with a very flat trajectory.  They can end up fine, and maybe they're "safer" in that you know they're likely to hold up to the heat of the high level competition fire.  But those later bloomer types, can have stratospheric trajectories, if you get things right with the situation and coaching.  They can be a QB who didn't show out early, and hasn't been polished and honed into what they are over the course of a decade.  They're more "diamond in the rough".  So if they're playing at a level that introduces them to the conversation with those more highly touted, highly polished, "mature since high school" types...there's intriguing upside there, if they've only really been on the radar for a brief time.

Yeah, it's risky.  But there's really no such thing as a "safe" QB pick.  There's always going to be huge risk involved in that.  But in that case, i kinda like the arrow pointing more sharply upward...if the two trajectories are at a reasonably similar point on draft day.

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

To me, this isn't always inherently a "positive".  Some guys just really peak early.  I'm not afraid of a later bloomer like Zach Wilson.  When you start to look at trajectories, a lot of those "mature since high school" and "on track for a top pick" since their early teens types, end up with a very flat trajectory.  They can end up fine, and maybe they're "safer" in that you know they're likely to hold up to the heat of the high level competition fire.  But those later bloomer types, can have stratospheric trajectories, if you get things right with the situation and coaching.  They can be a QB who didn't show out early, and hasn't been polished and honed into what they are over the course of a decade.  They're more "diamond in the rough".  So if they're playing at a level that introduces them to the conversation with those more highly touted, highly polished, "mature since high school" types...there's intriguing upside there, if they've only really been on the radar for a brief time.

Yeah, it's risky.  But there's really no such thing as a "safe" QB pick.  There's always going to be huge risk involved in that.  But in that case, i kinda like the arrow pointing more sharply upward...if the two trajectories are at a reasonably similar point on draft day.

I can dig that.