Quarterback of the Future

pwny

Who will be the starter for the 2021 season?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the starter for the 2021 season?

• Someone currently on the roster
    • A big name Free Agent/traded for QB
    • A journeyman Free Agent/traded for QB
    • First round Rookie QB
    • Second round or later Rookie QB

On 11/9/2020 at 11:20 PM, KhanYouDigIt said:

I think I may lean Zach Wilson over Fields.

Am I wrong here?

I think i'm at that point.

There's something about Fields when i watch him, that just feels off.  It's very robotic.  He makes some interesting plays, and doesn't have the slow feet of Haskins...but somehow, i still come off thinking Haskins was the better Pro QB prospect in a lot of ways.  Despite the slow feet, and the lack of arm strength and all the rest.  And i don't know if it's one of those things where i was talked into Haskins who i didn't like initially...or whether it's just some weird hype machine running at THE Ohio State.

I just can't really get into Fields the way i should for a supposed slam-dunk #2 pick sort of QB.  idk.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I think i'm at that point.

There's something about Fields when i watch him, that just feels off.  It's very robotic.  He makes some interesting plays, and doesn't have the slow feet of Haskins...but somehow, i still come off thinking Haskins was the better Pro QB prospect in a lot of ways.  Despite the slow feet, and the lack of arm strength and all the rest.  And i don't know if it's one of those things where i was talked into Haskins who i didn't like initially...or whether it's just some weird hype machine running at THE Ohio State.

I just can't really get into Fields the way i should for a supposed slam-dunk #2 pick sort of QB.  idk.

Robotic is spot on IMO. He takes awhile to load up when he throws and yes his accuracy is damn good, the arm strength won’t make up for that time he takes to load up. Windows are so much tighter in the NFL and they close much quicker.

Wilson is far from perfect as well but his arm strength, the quick release and playmaking ability have me very intrigued with him at 2. 

• Like 1

The arm strength, accuracy, and mobility is just too good for Fields (along with reports on leadership/intangibles). I've been clamoring for Wilson for a long bit but I can't put him above Fields, at least yet.

Better hope we mess around and win a game or two if you want Wilson (which watching the game yesterday, I'm not ruling it out if the team plays spirited like that).

Finally taking some time to watch Fields. First up is him vs Penn State from this year.

First concern I see is he isn't getting the ball to his guys in space with room to run. The only time he gets the ball to a guy who can then run with the ball is on his designed roll outs or designed screens. Usually the knock on guys is the other way, that they're always throwing to wide open guys who can run all over so you don't know if the accuracy and processing speed is there. For him at least in this game, he's not getting the ball to anyone to do damage themselves.

Having spent the last decade seeing that be what we get from our QBs while opposing QBs just facilitate to everyone and we get gashed by opposing QBs giving the ball to their TEs and #3s and watching us get shredded, I'm feeling a little leery. Will continue to view more games and see if this is a trend as a whole or just the case from one good defense putting the clamps on the receivers. 

Edited by pwny
  • Like 2

On 11/16/2020 at 2:38 PM, .Buzz said:

I'll try and remember to post his write-up, otherwise look for that.

The thing that i think is really rubbing me wrong about Fields...is that he's somehow running a simple offense, and making it more complicated by running around on design boots, etc.

That Ohio State team, every year...consistently fields the caliber of receiver that you should just be able to stand in there with lazy feet like Haskins, and shred defenses without even moving off a shotgun spot really.  The OLine is consistently among the better units in CFB.  Yet Fields is just constantly running around and booting out to try to make plays.  It's got shades of Manziel tbh.

He just keeps making things more complicated than they need to be.  The opposite of what you want in an NFL QB prospect.

I just can’t get behind Fields right now. Maybe I don’t watch him closely enough but I don’t ever see him go through any progressions. It seems like a one read offense?

Today was a good test against that Indiana D and it wasn’t a good showing by Fields. Some pretty poor decisions. I’m sure this game will be a game where draft pundits point to during the draft process and it will be valid point imo.

I’m not banging on the table for Fields at 2.   

Lawrence and Wilson are at the top for me.