Quarterback of the Future

pwny

Who will be the starter for the 2021 season?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the starter for the 2021 season?

• Someone currently on the roster
    • A big name Free Agent/traded for QB
    • A journeyman Free Agent/traded for QB
    • First round Rookie QB
    • Second round or later Rookie QB

On 12/1/2020 at 8:00 PM, .Buzz said:

We better get someone in here for this rookie. Whether it's a bright minded offensive guy at HC or a HC that brings in a bright OC. It's vital.

I have spent zero time with the answer to this, so I have no idea which side this goes on. But

Outside of BB+Brady (and that’s 20 years ago at this point), who are the defensive minded head coaches+Rookie QB combos that have worked out over the last however many years?

11 minutes ago, pwny said:

I have spent zero time with the answer to this, so I have no idea which side this goes on. But

Outside of BB+Brady (and that’s 20 years ago at this point), who are the defensive minded head coaches+Rookie QB combos that have worked out over the last however many years?

Just off the top of my head:

Josh Allen-Sean McDermott, Wilson-Carroll, Harbaugh (ST coach)- Lamar/Flacco, Cowher-Big Ben, Schwartz-Stafford, Mike Smith-Matt Ryan, Ron Rivera-Cam Newton, Pagano-Luck (not that this took much). 

There's probably plenty of others, but actually happens quite often. With the craze for offensive minded HCs lately it's started to tip in their favor.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Just off the top of my head:

Josh Allen-Sean McDermott, Wilson-Carroll, Harbaugh (ST coach)- Lamar/Flacco, Cowher-Big Ben, Schwartz-Stafford, Mike Smith-Matt Ryan, Ron Rivera-Cam Newton, Pagano-Luck (not that this took much). 

There's probably plenty of others, but actually happens quite often. With the craze for offensive minded HCs lately it's started to tip in their favor.

Like I said. I spent no time before asking. Good to see that there’s a bunch that work out, and at least a few that didn’t go through dry spells when the team inevitably had to make a change at OC when the OC got a starting gig. 

I might need to do a deep dive later into how long OCs typically stay with a defensive head coach, and how that coincides with ups and downs with the Quarterbacks. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, .Buzz said:

So, is my guy running a 4.4 or a 4.5?

Does it actually matter?

Just doesn't seem particularly relevant to anything, NFL-wise to me.  Like yeah, we know Fields is athletic, more than enough to do pretty much anything you'd realistically expect of a QB but beyond that...so what?

My takeaway from that, is more about the play design itself, and the offense Fields is running.  And the kinda pointless waste of effort that i wouldn't even really want to see from my QB on a play like that.  RB was gone either way.

Beyond a certain point, 4-5 dash is pretty irrelevant for a QB.  He's fast.  We knew that.  Enough said.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Does it actually matter?

Just doesn't seem particularly relevant to anything, NFL-wise to me.  Like yeah, we know Fields is athletic, more than enough to do pretty much anything you'd realistically expect of a QB but beyond that...so what?

My takeaway from that, is more about the play design itself, and the offense Fields is running.  And the kinda pointless waste of effort that i wouldn't even really want to see from my QB on a play like that.  RB was gone either way.

Beyond a certain point, 4-5 dash is pretty irrelevant for a QB.  He's fast.  We knew that.  Enough said.

Man, it's just fun discussion. I never said it mattered.

I’m still on the boat for Fields over Wilson.. people will make excuses to talk themselves into what they believe. I’ve been watching Fields since he was a Junior going into his senior season in HS. Kid is a natural leader he’s been mature even since his high school days. If you want to see a glimpse of what I’m talking about you can go on Netflix and look for a series named QB1. Fields went into the Elite 11 competition as the number 2 rated QB behind Trevor Lawrence.. and during the head to head competition leaving the camp Fields was rated the best QB and the No. 1 QB in the country going into his senior year.

Does that mean that to date that Fields is better than Trevor no.. but it lets me know Fields is cerebral and he doesn’t shy away from the big stage or competition. People bash Fields for 1 bad game against a top 10 team. But the same people won’t bash Wilson for having a bad game against Coastal Carolina. Lawrence struggled against a 4 win VT squad. 195 a touch and a pick. I’m not expecting these guys to play well every single game. Hell Russell  Wilson has even had a bad game this year.. but he is playing at an MVP level. I’m not saying we won’t have trouble pains with Fields but to be honest I haven’t heard of Zach until this yr I’ve had my eye on Fields since he was a high schooler. I truly believe his best days are ahead of him and he still isn’t a finished product. I think he will keep getting better every yr. I think at worst with Fields will be just as good as Donovan McNabb as far as career trajectory not talent or game play similarities. And if we have a guy that can get us in the playoffs 8x over the next 12 yrs I’ll take it. 

Edited by DuvalsKing
  • Like 1