Jump to content

2021 College Football/NFL Draft Thread


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

They drafted a RT last year, so obviously this was a position they clearly saw as upgradeable way before they released Kelly. Also, Jenkins is a solid prospect in his own right. If it's the right value, and it's easy to argue that it is, who the hell cares if they created a hole at the position to begin with?

Opening up a hole where you had a fine player and then spending a first on that position when the roster you’ve constructed is already littered with holes is a terrible use of resources.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been mum about it but after researching him recently, I felt like Jenkins was a perfect fit for the team and what we look for in our OL. Seems to be everything we hoped Wilson would be. I was going to throw his name out there a few days ago as a possible pick but knew it probably wouldn’t go over well.

I honestly wouldn’t know how I’d feel if he was the pick. It’d certainly be a tough sell for many fans.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Opening up a hole where you had a fine player and then spending a first on that position when the roster you’ve constructed is already littered with holes is a terrible use of resources.

Agreed.  Even beyond Kelly, there was Sambrailo, who as a backup tackle is outstanding.  As a starter, eh.  And then Quessenberry, who was fine, and considering he was our fourth tackle, played very well.  If you're number four is starting anywhere, it usually becomes a huge liability, but he was aight.

Still, it wasn't something that needed immediate attention, even with Kelly getting older.

Jenkins might be a great player, and even a good value at 22, but OT is far from the biggest need.  I'd say it's below Edge, DL, CB, WR, and TE.  So unless he's the best player available at 22 by an enormous margin, that's not a great pick.  But it's not so much that it's a bad pick, so much as that if it is the pick, it makes for a baffling couple of moves dropping Kelly and signing both Sambrailo and Kendall Lamm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I’ve been mum about it but after researching him recently, I felt like Jenkins was a perfect fit for the team and what we look for in our OL. Seems to be everything we hoped Wilson would be. I was going to throw his name out there a few days ago as a possible pick but knew it probably wouldn’t go over well.

I honestly wouldn’t know how I’d feel if he was the pick. It’d certainly be a tough sell for many fans.

I’m not ruling it out. I’ve accepted that I’m just going to strongly disagree with the direction we’re headed this off-season. Just going to be an impossible sell for me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I’m not ruling it out. I’ve accepted that I’m just going to strongly disagree with the direction we’re headed this off-season. Just going to be an impossible sell for me.

I’m with you. As of right now, I just don’t feel great about next season. I’ve been trying to look on the bright side but, it’s currently a tough sell for me as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

They drafted a RT last year, so obviously this was a position they clearly saw as upgradeable way before they released Kelly. Also, Jenkins is a solid prospect in his own right. If it's the right value, and it's easy to argue that it is, who the hell cares if they created a hole at the position to begin with?

Yeah.

I hate all OT's and OL in the first, especially if we pass on a WR, CB or Edge that we all like. But I can see this being a pick.

Obviously they felt that they needed to upgrade from Kelly with the drafting of Wilson and later release of Kelly. 

As well as Kelly played a lot of people here felt he was a stop gap at best. And some felt he was a huge downgrade from Conklin.  To me the fact that we were able to still be so productive with Kelly and 3rd string OTs says that we don't need to spend so much on the position. 
But I guess we do. I imagine they felt the offense was somewhat limited in blocking schemes. 

Wilson's release shouldn't impact our decision.  It is just a lost pick so it is what it is. But I also feel like we get an extra 2nd and 3rd because Evans and Fulton played so little last year. 

As much as I would hate to take Jenkins in the first, I can see why and he is actually a good pick in my mind, unlike what I thought of Wilson. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Opening up a hole where you had a fine player and then spending a first on that position when the roster you’ve constructed is already littered with holes is a terrible use of resources.

If Jenkins is their BPA, and I'm not saying he should be, but to me he's a pretty solid prospect and by all means he is there in the conversation, than that's all there is.

Especially for a guy who, if I remember corectly, preached drafting best player over need several times in the past, it makes absolutely no sense to me that you would prefer reaching to fill some other hole.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also feel that we are going to draft a few players that the board will feel aren't the guy.

Like Carlos Basham, Amari Rodgers, Seth Williams, Anthony Schwartz, Josh Imathorbhebhe, Nico Collins, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Elijah Molden, Joe Tyron, Payton Turner, Janarius Robinson.

Guys like that who are rated pretty good but aren't sexy in the eyes of the draft community. I can see us take one or two of those guys and this board flipping out because they wanted the bigger name.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

If Jenkins is their BPA, and I'm not saying he should be, but to me he's a pretty solid prospect and by all means he is there in the conversation, than that's all there is.

Especially for a guy who, if I remember corectly, preached drafting best player over need several times in the past, it makes absolutely no sense to me that you would prefer reaching to fill some other hole.

And again, we aren't the only team needing to draft some players that need to play early. It's a lot of teams relying on the draft to fill some spots because they are cheaper.

Then after the draft, hit up some of these FAs to fill it out more. 

Not saying we need to sign him or would, but Richard Sherman is still a viable starter in the league and guys like him are able to be signed. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I also feel that we are going to draft a few players that the board will feel aren't the guy.

Like Carlos Basham, Amari Rodgers, Seth Williams, Anthony Schwartz, Josh Imathorbhebhe, Nico Collins, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Elijah Molden, Joe Tyron, Payton Turner, Janarius Robinson.

Guys like that who are rated pretty good but aren't sexy in the eyes of the draft community. I can see us take one or two of those guys and this board flipping out because they wanted the bigger name.

Literally nothing wrong with any of those guys....

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah.

I hate all OT's and OL in the first, especially if we pass on a WR, CB or Edge that we all like. But I can see this being a pick.

Obviously they felt that they needed to upgrade from Kelly with the drafting of Wilson and later release of Kelly. 

As well as Kelly played a lot of people here felt he was a stop gap at best. And some felt he was a huge downgrade from Conklin.  To me the fact that we were able to still be so productive with Kelly and 3rd string OTs says that we don't need to spend so much on the position. 
But I guess we do. I imagine they felt the offense was somewhat limited in blocking schemes. 

Wilson's release shouldn't impact our decision.  It is just a lost pick so it is what it is. But I also feel like we get an extra 2nd and 3rd because Evans and Fulton played so little last year. 

As much as I would hate to take Jenkins in the first, I can see why and he is actually a good pick in my mind, unlike what I thought of Wilson. 

I just don't see why we're so sensible to some of the most pointless things and try to make even the smallest things into serious, big deals.

Had they kept Kelly on the roster, would that prevent them from drafting Jenkins? Absolutely not, because

A. He is a good prospect. He's viewed as one of the better OTs in this class and it's very, very reasonable that he could just happen to be the best player on their board by the time we pick.

B. They obviously wanted to upgrade at RT last year, anyway, so this was somehow in their plan way before they released Dennis.

So I'm not sure what exactly is the big deal here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

Literally nothing wrong with any of those guys....

Well if say draft Jenkins in the first and pass on Elijah Moore, Greg Newsome and Ojulari, you know people here maybe, but definitely Titan Twitter would freak out! lol

1- Jenkins
2- Elijah Molden
3. Payton Turner

Some guy would be who TF are these guys!  I want the SEC names!!!  lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrei01 said:

If Jenkins is their BPA, and I'm not saying he should be, but to me he's a pretty solid prospect and by all means he is there in the conversation, than that's all there is.

Especially for a guy who, if I remember corectly, preached drafting best player over need several times in the past, it makes absolutely no sense to me that you would prefer reaching to fill some other hole.

My problem with Robinson’s draft strategy has been the desire to pigeonhole himself into literally one position in the first. That’s not what I’m looking for. It’s literally WR, TE, CB, Edge. Maybe even DL. There’s just so many holes across the board to be replaced to be replacing a competent starter.

And, if the goal was to replace Kelly (which I’m fine with long term), than you should’ve done something to add more talent to the roster in FA instead of releasing a bunch of starters and refusing to restructure contracts.

But a lot of my philosophy coming into this offseason was based on the presumption that we were trying to win a title in the Tannehill/Henry window and I’m no longer convinced that’s the case anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A previous mistake should never drive you future pics...  Wilson was a disaster but that shouldn't effect in any way what we do this year. IF OL is the best option based on what's left then we should go that way. 

Frankly there is a ton of talent that could be reasonably available at our spot that would fit our need in one way or the other...

LB Collins, OT Jenkins, Edge Rousseau, DT Barmore are probably at the top of the list in my mind

But I could see CB Horn, Joseph or Campbell and S Moehrig as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, titans0021 said:

My problem with Robinson’s draft strategy has been the desire to pigeonhole himself into literally one position in the first. That’s not what I’m looking for. It’s literally WR, TE, CB, Edge. Maybe even DL. There’s just so many holes across the board to be replaced to be replacing a competent starter.

And, if the goal was to replace Kelly (which I’m fine with long term), than you should’ve done something to add more talent to the roster in FA instead of releasing a bunch of starters and refusing to restructure contracts.

But a lot of my philosophy coming into this offseason was based on the presumption that we were trying to win a title in the Tannehill/Henry window and I’m no longer convinced that’s the case anyways.

Well said bro I’m a firm believer in addressing your needs in FA, therefore you can draft the BPA in the draft vs need. That’s how you build a contending  team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...