2021 College Football/NFL Draft Thread

ttitansfan4life

22 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Because the need is depth.

Yall act like late first picks are gonna be future hall of famers, but seconds and thirds are practice bodies.

Depth by definition is not a need, more of a luxury. Or a 'want', to use your terminology. 

If our biggest holes on the roster are players to play in limited snaps, then I'd say we're much better off roster-wise than has been made to be, and all the big fuss created all offseason long has been so only to kill time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

So, we need WR help but you would be against trading up for a Devonta Smith or Jaylen Waddle, we need CB help but you would be against trading up for Jaycee Horn or Patrick Surtain, we need a RT but you would be against trading up for a Slater, Jenkins or Vera-Tucker, and we need EDGE help but you would oppose trading up for, say, a Jaelan Phillips?

That makes absolutely no sense, to me. Around 5 QB prospects are expected to go somewhere in the top 10-15 range, which makes it a special opportunity for some of the better prospects to fall some more they would in a typical class, but yet you would be against the idea of trading up to secure one of those prospects because we could somehow reasonably expect to fill all those needs at once with day 2 and 3 prospects?

I'm not even that big of a fan of trading up, but to see the same people citing all these 'big' needs say they would rather settle for 2nd or 3rd round picks to fill those needs is indeed pretty crazy to me. 

🗣preach we can draft guys simply because of needs & like last yr, more than half can possibly not see the field. It’s a bout getting the players that are high on your board, da rafting to fill needs majority of the time cost you on the back end 

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Blatantly untrue.

You need players that can start and you want players that could play when those that start need to come off. Not sure what's so confusing. If we actually had starting-caliber players sitting behind already-designated starters at multiple positions we'd be kind of an unicorn among NFL teams.

17 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

You need players that can start and you want players that could play when those that start need to come off. Not sure what's so confusing. If we actually had starting-caliber players sitting behind already-designated starters at multiple positions we'd be kind of an unicorn among NFL teams.

Drafting players for depth or to start isn’t no guarantee that they’ll contribute or make an impact. How long did it take for Henry to make a impact, Jonnu, even better Corey Davis. 🤔 again just because you draft guys to fill out a roster because of need doesn’t mean that they will have a impact right away, you can trade up by trading future picks for a guy that’s high on your draft board that you feel has can’t miss potential or can help your team right away vs playing it safe. 

13 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

So what I’m saying is this if we could get a guy like Jaycee Horn or Devonte Smith if we traded our 2021 1st rd & 2022 1st rd. I’m fine with it because how long is our window open with Tannehill & Henry. 

no sir. im not fine with it.. all this talk about a "window" is crazy to me. ive been a fan here for over 20 years. last thing i want is to be a team thats good for a few years and then bad, hoping to get back good. I understand our success is built off of henry and tannehill, but i am not for mortgaging the future for right now. i want to have sustained success. the players we draft in this years draft and next  are largely gonna carry us in a few years when henry and tanny slow down. definately wanna have all the draft picks we have to continue to build the team around them.

with that being said.. i think there is a 90% percent chance that defense is the 1st round pick.. im calling barmore and ossai with the first two picks.. all the insiders are reporting that they are hearing defense is likely the pick and the current betting odds are in favor of the titans going defense. somebody somewhere is hearing all the of the same info... defense is likely and it better not be a CB unless its Horn or Farley(maybe). no thanks on newsome.. too injury prone.

15 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

There are like a third of the total defensive snaps where neither of your "starters" on the entire DL/Edge group are on the field.  Depth players play.  And you can't just throw practice bodies behind two designated starters and call it a day, because those players will see the field a lot.

And that's not taking into account injuries, which will decimate thin spots on the roster.  Which is one of the many reasons depth, especialliy on the DL, with the DBs, and with the receiving group, isn't a want, it's a need.

I assumed everyone knew that already, but I guess it needs to be explained.

just passing this along from Matt Miller's website. his rumors report from today.

1. The Titans have a long list of needs after they had to make difficult salary cap moves this off-season, but I’m told the interior defensive line is a priority for them. The only issue is that this interior defensive line class is the weakest I’ve ever evaluated. Barmore, Levi Onwuzurike (Washington) and Daviyon Nixon are the consensus top three ranked players. Keep this in mind if the Titans bypass needs at cornerback, wide receiver or right tackle in Round 1.

3 hours ago, Airness McNairness said:

just passing this along from Matt Miller's website. his rumors report from today.

1. The Titans have a long list of needs after they had to make difficult salary cap moves this off-season, but I’m told the interior defensive line is a priority for them. The only issue is that this interior defensive line class is the weakest I’ve ever evaluated. Barmore, Levi Onwuzurike (Washington) and Daviyon Nixon are the consensus top three ranked players. Keep this in mind if the Titans bypass needs at cornerback, wide receiver or right tackle in Round 1.

BRING ME BARMORE!!! Been saying that the iDL class is absolutely garbage outside of the very top guys. Autry is good and all but he gets annihilated in the run game. Barmore can do it all. Kind of surprised he’s not being talked about as a top 15 pick. He’s not perfect by any means but with the way a lot of Alabama players get overrated, I’m surprised he’s not talked about going much higher.

35 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

BRING ME BARMORE!!! Been saying that the iDL class is absolutely garbage outside of the very top guys. Autry is good and all but he gets annihilated in the run game. Barmore can do it all. Kind of surprised he’s not being talked about as a top 15 pick. He’s not perfect by any means but with the way a lot of Alabama players get overrated, I’m surprised he’s not talked about going much higher.

I think the league is starting to get wise to the high bust rates of Bama prospects.

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

There are like a third of the total defensive snaps where neither of your "starters" on the entire DL/Edge group are on the field.  Depth players play.  And you can't just throw practice bodies behind two designated starters and call it a day, because those players will see the field a lot.

And that's not taking into account injuries, which will decimate thin spots on the roster.  Which is one of the many reasons depth, especialliy on the DL, with the DBs, and with the receiving group, isn't a want, it's a need.

I assumed everyone knew that already, but I guess it needs to be explained.

Our 3rd WR in snaps saw the field at a 25% snap count rate. We were fine.

Our 4th DB will likely see the field at an even lower rate, barring any significant injuries.

Landry played over 90% of the time for us, while Dupree, when healthy, constantly played over 80% of the snaps each week. Whoever is behind them, unless it's one of the top prospects (meaning, again, most likely a 1st round) will most likely not see much playing time.

DL does require more rotation. However, Simmons pushed towards 80% and I doubt that is going to change this year, and they clearly like Autry. If bringing Schwartz in means even more 4-man fronts, there's likely even less time for someone behind Simmons, Autry and Tart, who I also think they like, to get on the field.

So, yes, the idea that we have a hole for some player to get on the field at a 20-30% snap rate is pretty crazy. Good thing is I trust their judgment to prioritize value and potential over depth bodies just for the sake of it way more than yours.