2021 College Football/NFL Draft Thread

ttitansfan4life

18 hours ago, Daniel said:

Incidentally, we also need one of those.

i'm a canes fan and loved rousseau for what he did on the field for us, but i can't decide how i feel about him as an nfl prospect. many if not most of his sacks were from lining him up inside and letting him abuse guards. he has the potential to grow into a true edge rusher in addition to that, which would make him a total game wrecker, but i could just as easily see him end up being a derrick morgan type who is a solid player but never all that effective as an nfl pass rusher. i don't know. 

15 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i'm a canes fan and loved rousseau for what he did on the field for us, but i can't decide how i feel about him as an nfl prospect. many if not most of his sacks were from lining him up inside and letting him abuse guards. he has the potential to grow into a true edge rusher in addition to that, which would make him a total game wrecker, but i could just as easily see him end up being a derrick morgan type who is a solid player but never all that effective as an nfl pass rusher. i don't know. 

I've been starting to do my homework on the edge rushers of the class today.  Rousseau does have half his 2019 sacks in two games, which is always worrying.  His TFLs (which I think are just as important as sacks when evaluating pass rushers, if not more) are spread pretty evenly across the season.

My big problem with him, other than having no 2020 tape to look at, is that he's not at all a polished, finished product.  I don't know what he's been doing the last year, how much he's refined his technique, etc.  I think if he's there at our first pick, it's tough to not be tempted to take him, but I would worry about his ability to contribute in his first year.  And that's something we're really gonna need for our defense to take a step.

The more I look at it, the more I think my No. 1 edge in this class is either Patrick Jones or believe it or not, Zaven Collins.  He's kind of the hybrid ILB/Edge that we've seen succeed lately, and with all these big tweeners, he might be the best complement to another guy like Paye or Basham.  And I doubt he goes round 1.

But I've only started to watch tape, so I'm sure this will all change.  I'm just glad it's a deep class.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

One of the Miami edge rushers not being talked about is Quincy Roche. Was thinking he could be a good 2nd round pick but I doubt he’ll be there. Apparently doing very well down at the senior bowl.

I like Roche from what I read. I have a feeling he may go later. Like 4th maybe 3rd. He screams Derick Morgan the most to me in this class. 

And I say this as someone who would like to draft 2 OLB and him being one of them.

53 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I've been starting to do my homework on the edge rushers of the class today.  Rousseau does have half his 2019 sacks in two games, which is always worrying.  His TFLs (which I think are just as important as sacks when evaluating pass rushers, if not more) are spread pretty evenly across the season.

My big problem with him, other than having no 2020 tape to look at, is that he's not at all a polished, finished product.  I don't know what he's been doing the last year, how much he's refined his technique, etc.  I think if he's there at our first pick, it's tough to not be tempted to take him, but I would worry about his ability to contribute in his first year.  And that's something we're really gonna need for our defense to take a step.

The more I look at it, the more I think my No. 1 edge in this class is either Patrick Jones or believe it or not, Zaven Collins.  He's kind of the hybrid ILB/Edge that we've seen succeed lately, and with all these big tweeners, he might be the best complement to another guy like Paye or Basham.  And I doubt he goes round 1.

But I've only started to watch tape, so I'm sure this will all change.  I'm just glad it's a deep class.

I agree alot with what you said here. To add on my biggest problem with Rousseau is how he wins. He's billed as this amazing pass rusher but when watching him he wins mostly with hand technique and shedding blockers. I don't see him bending the edge, a shoulder dip, or a swim move. He looks like he can 2 gap pretty well and get a coverage sack but not fire off the LOS and get to a QB like Azeez Ojulari.

I'm not sure about Patrick Jones. Everywhere I read says hes 4-3 DE only. I need to do more research on him. I really like Collins tho. I'm with you 100% there. To add on if his medical is ok and he interviews well I like Phillips. Can do everything pretty well. Pretty good athlete. 

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Man, I've just been learning of Patrick Jones and have started watching some tape on him, and man, I love him. I think he's up there in the conversation for best EDGE in the class, though I haven't really seen any round 1 talk about him. 

I disagree on Collins, though. I mean, I love him, I do believe he's a lock to go round 1, but I wouldn't play him on the edge. Wouldn't mind if I saw him get some pass-rushing snaps either on the edge or blitzing out of the middle, but I think he's too good and valuable in his current role to try to fit him elsewhere full-time.

• Like 1

A LB that we should look at if we don't resign Jayon is Jabril Cox. This dude was a beast at North Dakota State, transfered to LSU and still played well. To me that is very encouraging that he had no real issue transitioning to a higher level of play. It speaks well for when he goes to the NFL. 

If we resign corey davis and let hump walk, i would love elijah moore, or toney in the first round.. both of those guys are electric and would give this offense more pop.. especially toney.. imagine him and aj brown together.. imagine aj brown and tyreke hill on the same team to offer a comparison.. im intrigued by the dt from bama also and the edge from georgia.. other than that, Id say trade out of the first and get more second/3rd round picks.. thats where the meat of the draft is i feel.. I dont know if there are 32 1st round picks in this draft. moving to the early second may net you the same player as the early 20's depending on how the board goes..

I’m not interested in drafting a WR round 1 unless we absolutely hit defense hard in FA but when you’re limited with that cap, that’s going to be tough. If we signed Lawson or some other edge rusher(not bottom of the barrel or average), resigned Jonnu, Jayon, King, and added a FA DL(not Crawford type but not a high end guy either), I’d maybe be ok with it but even then, I’d probably target Barmore first. There should be at least 4 new players in this front 7 and I’m not talking late round picks and bottom end FAs either. They have to once and for all fix this pass-rush and even the run D. I’m absolutely fine with trading back and getting more picks(we need it after last years garbage) but only if we did well in FA.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

22 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I’m not interested in drafting a WR round 1 unless we absolutely hit defense hard in FA but when you’re limited with that cap, that’s going to be tough. If we signed Lawson or some other edge rusher(not bottom of the barrel or average), resigned Jonnu, Jayon, King, and added a FA DL(not Crawford type but not a high end guy either), I’d maybe be ok with it but even then, I’d probably target Barmore first. There should be at least 4 new players in this front 7 and I’m not talking late round picks and bottom end FAs either. They have to once and for all fix this pass-rush and even the run D. I’m absolutely fine with trading back and getting more picks(we need it after last years garbage) but only if we did well in FA.

I agree, for the most part.  A first round receiver would be a waste of a pick.

A second rounder, sure.  But only after we pick a stud DL/Edge with our first pick, and then, we probably want to spend our next one on an additional DL/Edge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I agree, for the most part.  A first round receiver would be a waste of a pick.

A second rounder, sure.  But only after we pick a stud DL/Edge with our first pick, and then, we probably want to spend our next one on an additional DL/Edge.

I wouldn't go WR unti at the earliest 3rd round.

I would go Edge and DT in the first 2 rounds.