A potential new rule that could be a huge game-changer in MLB

pf9

Currently, the majority MLB parks are open air. This leaves games prone to rain-outs, though some stadiums see far less rainouts than others, like Dodger Stadium.

I've proposed that MLB require all future new stadiums to be built with some sort of roof, with a retractable roof preferred so that games can be played outdoors when the weather is nice. Existing open-air stadiums would be grandfathered under the rule. I would love to see an MLB game in Cleveland without fear of having it rained out.

The idea is to one day eliminate rain-outs in MLB. Postponements due to hurricanes could still occur, even teams with roofed stadiums are prone to that. Games could also be postponed for non-weather reasons, like a death of a team member, or something like what happened in September, 2001.

I’d prefer to see cold, outdoors October baseball than your “solution” to solve a non existent problem. 

I am glad to know that your proposal will allow for postponements in case of a terrorist attack, though. Thank you for clarifying. 

• Like 6

On 10/18/2020 at 12:32 AM, TLO said:

I’d prefer to see cold, outdoors October baseball than your “solution” to solve a non existent problem. 

I am glad to know that your proposal will allow for postponements in case of a terrorist attack, though. Thank you for clarifying. 

Have you ever gone to an outdoor game in Wisconsin in April?  I remember freezing my tail off at County Stadium many years ago.  Thanks but no thanks.

On 10/20/2020 at 11:26 AM, redsoxsuck05 said:

Rainouts suck but they’re not really a huge deal

In many cases, games that get rained out do not get made up.

I mean, at the very least delay the start of the playoffs if needed so games which could not have been made up before the original end of the season do get made up. I just want every team to be able to play their full 162-game schedule. However, if none of the games made up after that last Sunday involve playoff teams, then the playoffs can start on schedule, but depending on how many made up games there are, there could be instances where regular season and postseason games are being played on the same day.

7 minutes ago, pf9 said:

In many cases, games that get rained out do not get made up.

I mean, at the very least delay the start of the playoffs if needed so games which could not have been made up before the original end of the season do get made up. I just want every team to be able to play their full 162-game schedule. However, if none of the games made up after that last Sunday involve playoff teams, then the playoffs can start on schedule, but depending on how many made up games there are, there could be instances where regular season and postseason games are being played on the same day.

You're that worried about something that might happen once in a season if it involves two teams that are nowhere near playoff contention?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

That's just false. It rarely occurs, and never occurs if it effects the playoffs.

In some cases I guess. But still, not only should each team be required to complete their full schedule (even if it means playing games after the season was supposed to end), but roofs should be required for new stadiums.

19 minutes ago, pf9 said:

In some cases I guess. But still, not only should each team be required to complete their full schedule (even if it means playing games after the season was supposed to end), but roofs should be required for new stadiums.

Good luck mandating how a team should build a stadium based on a completely irrelevant non issue. 

“everyone build a stadium with a roof to ensure two non playoff teams don’t play 161 games in a given year”

this is the weirdest hot take

also lol at the idea of some totally meaningless regular season game being played at the same time as the playoffs. 

Edited by TLO
  • Like 2

While this plan does account for player deaths and once in a lifetime terrorist attacks, I am worried this plan doesn't take into account the possibility of a lot of games getting cancelled due to a global pandemic 

I'd like to see a plan that could prevent cancelled games due to this reason before I lend my support to your proposal 

• Like 2