Sign in to follow this  
pf9

A grand location for a new stadium

RFK Stadium, which hosted the Washington Football Team from 1961 to 1996, is being demolished.

I understand that FedEx Field is quite unpopular.

With the demolition of RFK, I propose that the team, which should become the Washington Presidents (one of the names of the defunct NFL team that played in DC in 1921) and change its colors to red, white, and navy blue (the same as the other big 4 teams in the city and the American flag), build a new stadium on the site.

It should be a retractable roof venue, because then it could increase its chances of landing the Super Bowl or the CFP title game. The Military Bowl could also move there. And it could host the men's Final Four with a retractable roof. It would be huge for either the Super Bowl, CFP title game, or the Final Four to be held in the nation's capital.

• Like 1

I don’t see Washington changing it’s colors form Burgundy & Gold. The District is doing a lot of cleaning to the Anacostia so perhaps they are thinking of locating back to RFK.

15 hours ago, pf9 said:

RFK Stadium, which hosted the Washington Football Team from 1961 to 1996, is being demolished.

I understand that FedEx Field is quite unpopular.

With the demolition of RFK, I propose that the team, which should become the Washington Presidents (one of the names of the defunct NFL team that played in DC in 1921) and change its colors to red, white, and navy blue (the same as the other big 4 teams in the city and the American flag), build a new stadium on the site.

It should be a retractable roof venue, because then it could increase its chances of landing the Super Bowl or the CFP title game. The Military Bowl could also move there. And it could host the men's Final Four with a retractable roof. It would be huge for either the Super Bowl, CFP title game, or the Final Four to be held in the nation's capital.

Snyder wants the new stadium for the roof.  He wants to have the Super Bowl, and to a lesser extent, the National Championship and Wrestlemania.  He probably wants it in DC, but he has to make sure this team is good enough for the governments to bid on it.  He almost had the RFK site back in 2018 before the omnibus bill was defeated and we saw massive furloughs in the federal government.  Now, it's anyone's guess what DC wants.......but they did change the name.  Virginia likely wants nothing to do with the team after how Richmond has fared with the training camp deal, and Maryland has pulled back their offer of a site near the National Harbor.  Right now, there is no desire for any of those three governments to bid and fund a stadium for Snyder.  It is highly likely he is tearing down Fed Ex Field and either playing at Maryland or M&T Bank until the new stadium is constructed over the old. 

• Like 2

I'll quite literally never go to another game if it's in D.C. 

We've had this discussion ad nauseum. There are tons of people who just do not want to go to the game in DC. 

• Metro crammed to the gills like the worst parts of a normal weekday commute? Pass
  • Traffic is terrible getting in and out of that area? Pass
  • Traffic is terrible getting in and out of the city normally - but then add thousands of cars to it? Pass
  • No tailgating because there's no room? Pass
  • Possible interference with baseball season games on the same day? Pass. 

Tear down Fed Ex.

• It's the smartest place to build as it's literally less than two miles from an Interstate highway.
  • It's already zoned for it
  • The gameday experience for those of us who ritually tailgate (we get there when the gates open at 9am - and there's tons of people) will continue. Most games, this ends up being the ONLY part of the day that was good.
  • Metro will continue to run for those who like to cram together like sardines and find out who hasn't showered that day.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Snyder wants the new stadium for the roof.  He wants to have the Super Bowl, and to a lesser extent, the National Championship and Wrestlemania.  He probably wants it in DC, but he has to make sure this team is good enough for the governments to bid on it.  He almost had the RFK site back in 2018 before the omnibus bill was defeated and we saw massive furloughs in the federal government.  Now, it's anyone's guess what DC wants.......but they did change the name.  Virginia likely wants nothing to do with the team after how Richmond has fared with the training camp deal, and Maryland has pulled back their offer of a site near the National Harbor.  Right now, there is no desire for any of those three governments to bid and fund a stadium for Snyder.  It is highly likely he is tearing down Fed Ex Field and either playing at Maryland or M&T Bank until the new stadium is constructed over the old. 

This is what I'm hoping happens

14 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'll quite literally never go to another game if it's in D.C. 

We've had this discussion ad nauseum. There are tons of people who just do not want to go to the game in DC. 

• Metro crammed to the gills like the worst parts of a normal weekday commute? Pass
  • Traffic is terrible getting in and out of that area? Pass
  • Traffic is terrible getting in and out of the city normally - but then add thousands of cars to it? Pass
  • No tailgating because there's no room? Pass
  • Possible interference with baseball season games on the same day? Pass. 

Tear down Fed Ex.

• It's the smartest place to build as it's literally less than two miles from an Interstate highway.
  • It's already zoned for it
  • The gameday experience for those of us who ritually tailgate (we get there when the gates open at 9am - and there's tons of people) will continue. Most games, this ends up being the ONLY part of the day that was good.
  • Metro will continue to run for those who like to cram together like sardines and find out who hasn't showered that day.

I love the tailgating situation at Fed Ex.  You lose that with a move to DC, just like M&T Bank doesn't really have it.  Though I also wonder how the Covid situation will play out with a stadium in DC, and how when we are able to go back to games, how many folks use the metro to get to the other team's games.  I know I won't ever take the metro for quite some time.  

As far as VA goes, I just don't know the location.  It will likely be too far out for me to consider living in Maryland.  Right now, it's a 25 minute drive for me.  I can't see myself driving 2.5 hours one way to get past all of NOVA to a place that will fit a stadium.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I love the tailgating situation at Fed Ex.  You lose that with a move to DC, just like M&T Bank doesn't really have it.  Though I also wonder how the Covid situation will play out with a stadium in DC, and how when we are able to go back to games, how many folks use the metro to get to the other team's games.  I know I won't ever take the metro for quite some time.  

As far as VA goes, I just don't know the location.  It will likely be too far out for me to consider living in Maryland.  Right now, it's a 25 minute drive for me.  I can't see myself driving 2.5 hours one way to get past all of NOVA to a place that will fit a stadium.  

I can get to and from the stadium in about 1hr - 1.5 hrs (1 hour on the way...add another 30 minutes after the game). And that's me coming from Leesburg. And I am totally fine with that situation if it means keeping the stadium right there and keeping everything else I've been doing for the last twenty years.

15 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I can get to and from the stadium in about 1hr - 1.5 hrs (1 hour on the way...add another 30 minutes after the game). And that's me coming from Leesburg. And I am totally fine with that situation if it means keeping the stadium right there and keeping everything else I've been doing for the last twenty years.

For me, if I have a Navy home game the day before, it means a 10 hour day Friday at work, 10-12 hours on Saturday, and then I have to get up super early even to make it to Fed Ex at 9:30.  I can't see myself doing that to go to Virginia, and then come home and get ready for our early Monday meeting.  And I don't see my work situation changing for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

For me, if I have a Navy home game the day before, it means a 10 hour day Friday at work, 10-12 hours on Saturday, and then I have to get up super early even to make it to Fed Ex at 9:30.  I can't see myself doing that to go to Virginia, and then come home and get ready for our early Monday meeting.  And I don't see my work situation changing for the foreseeable future.  

I do that now if JMU has a home game. But I won't if I have to then fight through D.C. and/or the 295/395 corridor to get there.

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

I do that now if JMU has a home game. But I won't if I have to then fight through D.C. and or 295/395 to get there.

Yeah, except I am working on Saturday and not attending the games.  A little bit of a difference.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Stop being cheap.

Put your bid here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-International-47-Passenger-School-Bus-with-DT466-7-6L-Diesel-Engine-d/164452693926?hash=item264a24f7a6:g:mu4AAOSw2dFfidab

Buy this. 817tAASONnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Look like this.

16191197722_9409101c8d_o.jpg

And roll in the night before.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Can't park there overnight. Gates won't let you in until opening. We already thought about that. Wish we could though

So, a couple of years ago, DC residents and lawmakers had stated they were not in favor of bringing back the Redskins unless the name was changed. 

With the pressure of COVID, and the location of the stadium, Snyder was forced to change the name (although I am pretty sure he was thinking about it for the stadium sense). 

With the LA and LV teams getting new stadiums, with Fed Ex not being iconic like Lambeau, it makes no sense for the team to stay there. And we all know that Snyder likes the limelight and cannot be outdone. For all the reasons stated above, Superbowls, Wrestlemania, College BB tourney, Concerts and more, money would come in hand over fist. Keeping the stadium where Fed Ex is now, is just not worth it, for the legacy of the franchise and its fans, there needs to be a turning point in which Dan matures to stop appeasing the fan in him, and start to appease the fan in us. 

• Like 1

I believe Thai when he says he won’t go to DC for a game. I don’t believe that represents the majority of Virginia fans, especially those who live in Arlington or Fairfax counties. They’ll still go. They go to Caps & Nats games, they’ll go to Washington Football’s games too if it’s back in DC.