Lions @ Jaguars.

diehardlionfan

14 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Controversial take, but I'm happy that my football team won today.

I am happy they won how they did.  If we scrapped and clawed and gave up 30 points and snuck by them I would be more disappointed as I would feel we did nothing to get better and just played a worse team.  

That being said, I am still not sold on this team competing for championships.  I think we have a good chance to win 4-6 more games this year against other bad teams but all that does is what you didnt want last year and thats make the draft pick worse without any true chance of winning.  If they somehow beat a couple teams they shouldn't, then maybe they can surprise people but I just dont see the talent on the D to consistently contend with good teams. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Controversial take, but I'm happy that my football team won today.

I am happy they won. I've yet to watch the game, but from what I heard they stopped the run and were able to run.  If the Lions could play like that on a consistent basis, I'd have no issue with MP or BQ, win or lose...well within reason on the lose part.

• Like 1

At this point, we're 2-3. If they can go on a tear through the weak part of the schedule:

Atlanta - W

Indy -W >> Trade deadline date

Minnesota - W

Washington - W

Carolina - W

Houston - W

We'd be sitting at 8-3. 

Bears - L

Packers - L

Titans - L

Bucs - L

Vikings - W

Finish off 9-7. We could just as easily go on a losing streak as the Falcons have a lot of talent, especially on offense. The Colts have the firepower and the defense to be a challenge. Really any of those "easy" teams has the tools to be able to beat us handily. 

I could be completely off here but I think the Atlanta game is the key to the rest of the season. If it's a close loss and the team fought to the end, they might hold off and see what happens until the Texans game. If we get our @$$ handed to us then I can see that triggering the firing of Patricia and the beginning of a rebuild.. possibly with a Stafford trade. Because of our slow start we HAVE to take advantage of this part of the schedule and string consecutive wins together in order to salvage the season and have ANY shot at the playoffs. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

At this point, we're 2-3. If they can go on a tear through the weak part of the schedule:

Atlanta - W

Indy -W >> Trade deadline date

Minnesota - W

Washington - W

Carolina - W

Houston - W

We'd be sitting at 8-3. 

Bears - L

Packers - L

Titans - L

Bucs - L

Vikings - W

Finish off 9-7. We could just as easily go on a losing streak as the Falcons have a lot of talent, especially on offense. The Colts have the firepower and the defense to be a challenge. Really any of those "easy" teams has the tools to be able to beat us handily. 

I could be completely off here but I think the Atlanta game is the key to the rest of the season. If it's a close loss and the team fought to the end, they might hold off and see what happens until the Texans game. If we get our @$$ handed to us then I can see that triggering the firing of Patricia and the beginning of a rebuild.. possibly with a Stafford trade. Because of our slow start we HAVE to take advantage of this part of the schedule and string consecutive wins together in order to salvage the season and have ANY shot at the playoffs. 

I feel like the Texans, Vikings, and Panthers are all better than us per your wins.  I think Atlanta and Indy likely are too.  We probably split with ATL and IND, split the MN games, lose to Houston and Carolina and probably win one of those we shouldnt like the Titans or Bucs.  I could see us winning 1 more game this year (Washington) but could also see us winning 8 or 9 more games just because thats how the NFL works.  I am guessing its closer to 1 than 9 though. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I feel like the Texans, Vikings, and Panthers are all better than us per your wins.  I think Atlanta and Indy likely are too.  We probably split with ATL and IND, split the MN games, lose to Houston and Carolina and probably win one of those we shouldnt like the Titans or Bucs.  I could see us winning 1 more game this year (Washington) but could also see us winning 8 or 9 more games just because thats how the NFL works.  I am guessing its closer to 1 than 9 though. 

Oh it's entirely possible that we just go on a losing streak against the Falcons, Colts, etc. This is just the "path to victory" with possible/likely win opponents if MP/BQ have any chance at keeping their jobs. We could just as easily win games against the Bears and Packers as they are division opponents and there is a familiarity with them. I just won't project that as a strong possibility given that they are 1 and 2 in the division. 

Looking at the Packers schedule, they could finish 12-4 or even 13-3. The Bears could wind up 10-6. With the new playoff rules a 9-7 Lions team could make it into the playoffs as a WildCard but that's a bit of a stretch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

I have a feeling we will end up at 500 or better and perform like a 3-13 team.  This is going to suck. Not because of the record, but because the Fords and BQ will believe this is working.

I expect you’re right. My fear is a bunch of victories over bad teams will save Quinn and Patricia.

• Like 1

The only thing that would save Quinn and Patricia for me is if they win a playoff game. That's it. The team has been so bad for three years that they need to show something significant. 

Competing for a playoff spot or finishing with a .500 record isn't good enough. Getting blown out in a wild card game isn't good enough. 

45 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

The only thing that would save Quinn and Patricia for me is if they win a playoff game.

I, respectfully, disagree. In the time of COVID, if they finish 8-8 and miss the playoffs, I could see them sticking around. If there's a glimmer of hope, they may choose to see where it leads the team.

14 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I, respectfully, disagree. In the time of COVID, if they finish 8-8 and miss the playoffs, I could see them sticking around. If there's a glimmer of hope, they may choose to see where it leads the team.

There's definitely going to be a disconnect between what ownership will tolerate and what many fans (especially in this forum) will tolerate. If they go 8-8 or 9-7, narrowly miss the playoffs or get into the playoffs and lose... there's no way that they will fire them (even if many would want it) in this time of COVID. 

Like it or not, it would be a step in the right direction after going 6-10 and 3-13 (in what would likely have been a 9-7 season with Stafford). It doesn't absolve Quinn and Patricia of the issues at hand, principally on the defensive side. It would buy them another off-season to address those issues. I don't really care if we win the Super Bowl with Patricia and/or Quinn or if it happens with a different coach and GM. I just want this team to play consistently and win games. 

We beat a team that is in contention for the 1st overall pick. We should beat that team. This Atlanta team is going to be a test. We could squeeze it out but I'm not so sure that we have the defense to keep up with their offense. They also have pieces on defense like Jarrett and Terrell. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

There's definitely going to be a disconnect between what ownership will tolerate and what many fans (especially in this forum) will tolerate. If they go 8-8 or 9-7, narrowly miss the playoffs or get into the playoffs and lose... there's no way that they will fire them (even if many would want it) in this time of COVID. 

Like it or not, it would be a step in the right direction after going 6-10 and 3-13 (in what would likely have been a 9-7 season with Stafford). It doesn't absolve Quinn and Patricia of the issues at hand, principally on the defensive side. It would buy them another off-season to address those issues. I don't really care if we win the Super Bowl with Patricia and/or Quinn or if it happens with a different coach and GM. I just want this team to play consistently and win games. 

We beat a team that is in contention for the 1st overall pick. We should beat that team. This Atlanta team is going to be a test. We could squeeze it out but I'm not so sure that we have the defense to keep up with their offense. They also have pieces on defense like Jarrett and Terrell. 

Great post. Couldn't agree more.

16 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Hooray we beat utter trash. Minshew sucks tailpipe

After this past week and then chatting with Falcons fans... not looking forward to this week vs Atlanta. Apparently they are weak against TE (Hock could have a big day); strong against the run; several pieces on offense. 

This could be the deathblow to Quintricia.