Nagy needs to hand over play-calling duties.

JAF-N72EX

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

The offensive issues are heavily tied to personnel. There's not an offensive genius in the league who could turn this group into a good offense. And while Nagy may have a say in choices of players, he doesn't get to dictate things like roster construction and how much of the salary cap is spent on specific position groups (hint: the Bears spend a lot on defense).

I agree that Nagy isn't a good offensive coach. But he has a career record of 25-15. Despite his own flaws and the flaws of the roster, he's been able to win games.

4th most in the league.  Bills at #1, Dolphins #2, Ravens #3. 

Common denominator?  No franchise QB on a second contract.

When you aren't paying your QB a ton of money, you can and should spend it somewhere else.  

You want to know the problem?  Offensive Tackles.

Leno at a 10.3M cap hit.  At least you get out of that one next year with a $6M "savings".

Massie at an 8.3M cap hit.  You are out of that next year with a $7M "savings".

You've got a $19M cap hit for your tackles and they are bad.  

If the cap truly is going down, those are contracts likely to be cut.  You can fill those positions just as well with mid round draft picks at a fraction of the cost.

Quinn isn't helping much either, especially when you consider that contract.  But he's yours next year, too.

15 minutes ago, Orange&Blue said:

This would never happen, but if you could trade draft picks to swap entire coaching staffs with another team, which team's staff would you target and how much draft compensation would you be willing to part with?

Is there any rule preventing this to happen? It ocurred before with Bellichick. I know the compensation was agreed after the Patriots "stole" Bill from the Jets, but why not?

Just now, BearFromArgentina said:

Is there any rule preventing this to happen? It ocurred before with Bellichick. I know the compensation was agreed after the Patriots "stole" Bill from the Jets, but why not?

HCs can be traded, but ive never heard of assistants being traded.

39 minutes ago, Orange&Blue said:

This would never happen, but if you could trade draft picks to swap entire coaching staffs with another team, which team's staff would you target and how much draft compensation would you be willing to part with?

Definitely the Chiefs coaching staff.  Idk exactly what id offer, but a first and some change definitely wouldn’t be off the table.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

He has been here for 3 years, he doesn't get to plead the 5th when it comes to the offensive talent.

This.  He is just as complicit as Pace for the lack of offensive talent.  I'm sure that Nagy has enough sway that he could convince Pace to draft and/or sign more OL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Nagy might have some ability to choose among players, but I highly doubt he's the one deciding to spend all the free agent money on another EDGE rusher. Those decisions are for the GM. And when you use the scrap heap to fix your offense, none of the choices are particularly good.

I'm not saying Nagy is the one deciding to spend all the money on defense but it's foolish to think that he does not have a lot of influence on what offensive players get signed to the roster.

7 hours ago, CBears019 said:

HCs can be traded, but ive never heard of assistants being traded.

Now there is no reason to either. A few years ago you had to wait until their contract was up to offer them non-HC promotions or the team could block the promotion. The NFL took that away so now you can poach position coaches much more easily, it just has to be a legit promotion.

11 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

Nagy needs to let go of play calls or go. Pace needs to invest in O or go. Tabor sucks so hard and needs to go regardless of anything else.

Paganos pretty good... Sometimes great. If we're gonna be a defensive team, might as well have him be the HC if he wants it... Or try to get Toub. Old Bear coach, KC I think ever since then? Andy Reid tree. Seems to have good ST every year because ours is awful. Maybe Pagano would stay on as DC?

At some point, an offensive coach with bad offense isn't acceptable... Right? Unless you pass all blame off on Pace for an absolutely talentless O, bar a few...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...