Week Six Post game: Packers wilt in Florida sun

mikebpackfan

44 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Ironically a co-worker said that they thought Rodgers might have been concussed on that play.  I guess his head hit the turf pretty hard.  

Any reputable sources?

Its just that Rodgers understands how serious concussions are.  I don't think he's gonna keep himself in there if hes got one.

Edited by HighCalebR

Not sure why people think Rodgers was playing soft.  If anything, he did the opposite; after his second INT, 17 of the next 24 plays were pass plays, of which 6 were deep targets (more than 15 yards downfield).  No QB that's scared of being hit goes after the defense like that.  

Rodgers just wasn't near sharp enough to win this game.  Too many missed throws on targets that were absolutely there, too many times waiting for the play to develop instead of hitting the open man.  This was classic 2018-2019 Rodgers, trying to play hero ball on every second of every snap.  It was all there: double clutching on the roll outs, waiting on Davante deep instead of hitting his man short, more or less entirely forgoing the run to try to win it himself.  I hate when people definitively state things they couldn't possibly know, but from the couch it sure looked like he was feeling the hype of playing Brady.  Whatever the reason, you're not winning when your QB can't hit the deep ball and only wants to throw downfield.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 2

To be clear, this game wasn't on Rodgers alone; plenty of blame to go around.  Defense really needs to do some soul-searching, coaching staff on down.  I'm not a huge fan of Pettine, but this defense is really uninspiring in ways his units usually aren't.  Too many plays are just an individual making something happen; feels like we're reliant on Z/Clark/Jaire just straight up bailing the unit out every series.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Why would I need reputable sources?  I was just saying that it isn't just folks from this board who thought he might have got his bell rung on that play.

Because its a dumb excuse.

Message board fodder looking to put blame besides their favorite player.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

To be clear, this game wasn't on Rodgers alone; plenty of blame to go around.  Defense really needs to do some soul-searching, coaching staff on down.  I'm not a huge fan of Pettine, but this defense is really uninspiring in ways his units usually aren't.  Too many plays are just an individual making something happen; feels like we're reliant on Z/Clark/Jaire just straight up bailing the unit out every series.

Completely agreed and the next DC needs a clause in his contract stating that he is not going to drop EDGE guys into coverage. There's no reason we should be paying two stud EDGE rushers to drop into coverage EVER. This is becoming Dom 2.0 with Preston Smith filling the role of Clay Matthews...

33 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

It was all there: double clutching on the roll outs, waiting on Davante deep instead of hitting his man short, more or less entirely forgoing the run to try to win it himself.  I hate when people definitively state things they couldn't possibly know, but from the couch it sure looked like he was feeling the hype of playing Brady.  Whatever the reason, you're not winning when your QB can't hit the deep ball and only wants to throw downfield.

Forcing it to Adams should definitely be put all on Rodgers. However, I'm not giving MLF or Nathaniel Hackett a pass at all. Both were outcoached by Todd Bowles and it was very obvious. We could expect a shootout given what Pettine DOESN'T have on defense regardless of scheme or execution, but when your offensive play-calling goes right into the hands of the defense without any sort of halftime adjustments, that's just getting straight outcoached and getting caught flat-footed. I'm going to go back to my original 10-6 prediction for this team because TB just gave everyone the blueprint on how to beat us.

Also, I'm really sick of the excuses from MLF: oh, we practiced like crap. Bull - when I see play-after-play fall right into the defensive scheme with little to no effort on the part of the defense, I'm seeing an OC or HC getting outcoached; which almost always happens with MLF at the wrong time. 

Edited by Joe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Packman04 said:

I think the Majority of the blame for yesterday falls on Rodgers, Lafleur's gameplan and the piss poor effort by the offensive line. I am going to give the defense a pass mostly. 

Nope on the D pass. No sacks, no pressures, 1 tackle for loss, soft zone, Gronk eating them up ... No pass there either.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Not sure why people think Rodgers was playing soft.  If anything, he did the opposite; after his second INT, 17 of the next 24 plays were pass plays, of which 6 were deep targets (more than 15 yards downfield).  No QB that's scared of being hit goes after the defense like that.  

Rodgers just wasn't near sharp enough to win this game.  Too many missed throws on targets that were absolutely there, too many times waiting for the play to develop instead of hitting the open man.  This was classic 2018-2019 Rodgers, trying to play hero ball on every second of every snap.  It was all there: double clutching on the roll outs, waiting on Davante deep instead of hitting his man short, more or less entirely forgoing the run to try to win it himself.  I hate when people definitively state things they couldn't possibly know, but from the couch it sure looked like he was feeling the hype of playing Brady.  Whatever the reason, you're not winning when your QB can't hit the deep ball and only wants to throw downfield.

What's the right word for it for when you can't get out of your own damn head and fail at your job?

Take away the second quarter and this is a 10-10 tie. That said, the Line has been a worry for me since they let Bulaga walk. Billy Turner and Lucas Patrick on the right side! Yikes! They got by using a lot of pre-snap motion which I didn't see much of in this game. Maybe Ervin was a key loss? But the offense and Rodgers' play reminded me of the last MM years.

5 hours ago, Pugger said:

On the pick 6 Rodgers stared down his receiver.  Usually he tries to use his eyes to move DBs round but not that time.  On the second INT were the Bucs offsides but it wasn't called?

Yep he did I just thought he kind of fluttered it out there. It looked like he threw it off his back foot to me. The offsides I didn't see but the DB looked like he was there early either way it seemed like he was off a bit. I still think Suh had a lot to do with it or he actually rung his bell on the TD and was just a bit off the rest of the way.

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What's the right word for it for when you can't get out of your own damn head and fail at your job?

Ahhhh, I see what you're saying.  Mentally soft I could get with; less afraid of being hit, and more feeling the pressure and let it totally twist you around.  

Just not sure what to think about this game in general.  Off rip my instincts say burn the tape and move on to the next one, at least for the offense.  Second quarter on looked nothing like the unit of the first 4.25 games; you gotta watch the film, but I'm honestly not sure there's a lot to take from it.  

Defensively...I just don't know.  It really feels, without watching the All-22 of every game in depth, that this unit is just being completely misused.  I just don't really understand the way he sets up his fronts.  Why do they stunt so infrequently?  You have a group of DL/OLB that to a man can absolutely move on their feet; even Lancaster is pretty quick for a NT.  Why do they so seldom slant anyone but Z?  I'm pretty sure that's just him calling his own number too, I don't even think Pettine is the driver on that.  Why are they playing Burks as a stand-up OLB in the pressure package and Greene in coverage?  Why do they call so many 3 man rushes on important downs? 

If his way of playing defense was working, I'd feel differently, but it clearly isn't; by almost every measure this defense has been bad all year.  Team needs someone to inject some energy from the top down, starting with actually letting your stud OLB get after it en masse.